Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th November 2015, 11:25   #1
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts
Default Do you have young kid`s???

I read this on a website I get a newsletter from each month and was surprised to come across this.
No good for me but it may help you young galls n guys with rug-rats:

Free Medicine?
Christine writes: "I was in Boots yesterday buying calpol and happened to complain to the cashier how expensive it is. She told me to my amazement that if you register your details with them under the 'minor ailments scheme' that all medicines etc. for children are free. A scheme that has been going for 8 years. They are not allowed to advertise it, but you can save a small fortune on calpol, piriton, sudocrem, plasters, etc.!! I wish I had known 8 years ago!"

Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2015, 19:23   #2
olliesgrandad
Loves to post

mg zt

Ta for that . I ll tell my daughter, 4 grandsons under 8
olliesgrandad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th November 2015, 19:28   #3
barney bear
This is my second home

rover 75 Connoiseur diesel called Rosey

Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,424 Posts

Depending on the area it goes by different names, in Lancashire it's called Pharmacy First. It is good though, you just get the generic medicines from the Chemist though so instead of Calpol you'll get a bottle of Paracetamol suspension which is the same thing just £4 a bottle cheaper
Old 27th November 2015, 21:02   #4
Best_of_British
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer & Arden Green Project

Ive got 3 little uns and only found out about this because swmbo has a mate who works in chemist. Called the minor ailments scheme, I still dont ask as I feel bad getting it free, luckily she has no such qualms.
Best_of_British is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2015, 08:36   #5
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Really interesting - I had no idea of this.

Just googled it and found out more about it from the NHS website:-

What is the minor ailment scheme?

The minor ailment scheme is designed to enable people with minor health conditions to access medicines and advice they would otherwise visit their doctor for.

It allows patients to see a qualified health professional at a convenient and accessible location within their community, and means patients do not need to wait for a GP appointment or queue up for a valuable A&E slot with a non-urgent condition.

Childhood ailments that may be treated under the scheme include:

colds
coughs
diarrhoea
earache
hay fever
head lice
nappy rash
sore throat
teething

If the patient being treated is exempt from paying prescription charges – because they're under 16 or over 60, for example, or they have a prescription prepayment certificate (PPC) – you don't have to pay for the medicine.

Important points about the minor ailment scheme

There are a number of important points that have not been made clear by the media:

The minor ailment scheme is not a national scheme. It is not possible to say exactly which medical conditions are covered because this will vary depending on the location and the particular service.

The scheme is designed to offer medication to meet an acute need. It is not an opportunity for parents to stock up on free children's medications – if a pharmacist thinks someone is trying to abuse the system, they can refuse any request for treatment at their discretion.

The pharmacist has no obligation to provide branded medication such as Calpol. If there is a cheaper generic version available that is known to be equally effective, it is likely that will be provided instead.

Claims that the scheme is secretive are incorrect. Information about the minor ailment scheme has been freely available on the NHS Choices website since 2008.

Whilst this last paragraph may well be true - reading some of the feedback about it on other sites one thing becomes very clear and that is that hard pressed young families are NOT being told about this when they visit a Pharmacy!!!
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2015, 08:44   #6
Darcydog
This is my second home

Thanked 3,170 Times in 2,096 Posts

Actually - I have just realised something.............

As a GHOF (grey haired old fort) of over 60 - based upon the above I can get free over the counter medicines as well?

If the patient being treated is exempt from paying prescription charges – because they're under 16 or over 60, for example, or they have a prescription prepayment certificate (PPC) – you don't have to pay for the medicine.

Not sure i am entirely comfortable with this as I believe it should really be for kids and not the over 60's unless there is true hardship.

Young families are having a far worse time today than we did when we had kids.
Darcydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2015, 12:16   #7
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcydog View Post
Actually - I have just realised something.............

As a GHOF (grey haired old fort) of over 60 - based upon the above I can get free over the counter medicines as well?

Not sure i am entirely comfortable with this as I believe it should really be for kids and not the over 60's unless there is true hardship.

Young families are having a far worse time today than we did when we had kids.
No more Tesco six quid for pile cream then
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote