Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th December 2015, 20:18   #31
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Interesting you should say that.

For replacing my 75s and Omega estate, the first choice would be an XF Spirtbrake and second a Citroen C5 Tourer because it has that individuality.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 09:22   #32
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
Even if I did have the money I would very much doubt I'd buy a Jag! I think the pedigree has long gone, with different parent companies over the years there has been a multitude of off the shelf parts fitted to them removing their individuality.
Jaguars old six cylinder in line unit was one of the best engineered engines ever made, absolutely superb. Later we were offered a mundeo unit and a diesel, "An oil burner in a Jag"! They were having a laugh.
From my sources Jaguar ownership is in some cases very expensive, with big variations in reliability.

When my 75 is not worth fixing, I'll either look for a very late 75 in good order, an Octavia or a little runabout like a Panda if my finances don't improve.
Old 17th December 2015, 14:26   #33
FrazzleTC
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,178 Times in 920 Posts

As someone who recently replaced their 75 with something altogether different, there are lots of other cars out there that I'd consider, in the future. Would I go for an XE? Probably not. XF, again, most likely not. XJ, yes, I think I would.

If I was buying a Superb, I wouldn't want a boring 2.0 one, I'd want the previous generation 3.6 4x4.

No point in going for an overstretched four pot, which will be dead by 100k. I'd be wanting something bigger and tougher.

What did I buy? A Subaru Legacy 2.0RE on a 56 plate? Why? Because, I'm not so much of a sheep as to be obsessed with owning a diesel, or something regarded as mainstream. What are the downsides? Bit sore on fuel, and should it need parts, they can be a bit dear. Positives? Well, it handles better than any other estate which could be considered a rival. Makes the likes of a V70 seem phenomenally poorly designed in driving terms. It has an interesting engine, being a flat four. The AWD gives terrific grip. It rides very nicely indeed, far better than a ZT, yet corners better. Interior is okay, but nothing special. Feels entirely unbroken after 140,000 miles. The suspension doesn't make lots of noises, it feels well made, and given the record of the various Subarus my parents owned over the years, should be reliable.

I don't plan to keep it forever, but will replace it with a 3.0R Spec B, in due course.

I love 75s, but, for me, at the moment, with one very big restoration going on, lots of uni stuff, and various other commitments, something reliable, fun to drive, well built, and a bit different seemed like an ideal choice. Cost less than any half decent Tourers I viewed, too.
2013 Mercedes SLK250 CDI
FrazzleTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th December 2015, 15:01   #34
suffolk boy
This is my second home

fiat panda

Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyv310 View Post
Hi Jim.
Skoda only have a bad name by those not in the know! They were a fine car manufacturer before Czechoslovakia was under communist rule, even under it the cars were much better than we were led to believe.
Even the rear engined cars from the 1000MB to the 135Ric had a very good front suspension set up, Double wishbones, coil springs, decent anti roll bar. The little OHV unit must have been one of the easiest to tune with its quality crank it was quite capable of 8000rpm continuous running and bursts of 8500rpm. Skoda's rally successes prove it.
I'm lucky to have been in a 130RS, often known as the Eastern European Stratos! One thing in my life I'll never forget.
I'll never knock Skoda, they were a good company and did well under the communists considering!

Funny thing about cars is often the underdog is the most respected eventually.
Think about when the velvet revolution happened, BMW, Renault, VW amongst others were desperate to get the automotive side of Skoda!
I also saw during the summer on an auto auction a Skoda 135Ric sold for £6,500, It was just 7 years older than our earliest 75's, I wonder if we will see a 75 actually sold for that amount that had been used on the road?
i had three brand new estelles one after the other a good car all round,i went everywhere in them.up to the west coast of scotland from suffolk you name it.it never broke down. parts?do not no. never bought any apart from routine servicing that was it.so when the 75 snuffs it.i will consider skoda again funnily enough
Old 17th December 2015, 15:16   #35
Leyland Worldmaster
This is my second home

Audi A2 1.4TDI

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,057 Posts

I love individual cars. So when Sara needed to be replaced, I got something even more individual! The world's first mass produced aluminium car! I have to say the quality cannot be questioned; Alison gets me to work and back in the same time, I arrive fresh and ache free after long journeys... She does everything Sara did- except she uses a LOT less fuel and her boot doesn't leak!

Only one problem- an easy to fix Starter Motor earth terminal suffered corrosion. Bolt replaced, and that's it!

And Alison is quite rare so other A2 drivers sometimes wave and flash, attractive women look and smile and people often turn their heads to see what type of car Alison is!

Do I miss Sara? Yes. Do I miss the running costs and the feeling something else expensive is going to break? No.

And I still haven't mentioned penguins! Oh... Hmmm...

🏓
Leyland Worldmaster is offline   Reply With Quote