Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > The Valeting Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th January 2017, 19:57   #11
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7T5 View Post
It cleans and cuts a little. Problem i find is that unless you have a proper polisher you struggle to use cutting compounds by hand. I have lots of super resin polish, if your near Edinburgh feel free to collect a sample to test. If you pop a photo of your paint up that would help too.
Cheers mate. Thanks for the offer of a sample, very generous of you, but I'm in south west Cumbria. I'll get the Super resin polish anyway. Does it cut as much as Tcut?
I can't post pictures on here but I could email one to you to see whet you think.
jonathan63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 20:02   #12
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan63 View Post
Cheers mate. Thanks for the offer of a sample, very generous of you, but I'm in south west Cumbria. I'll get the Super resin polish anyway. Does it cut as much as Tcut?
I can't post pictures on here but I could email one to you to see whet you think.
SRP won't cut at all, it's a polish I use Poorboys SSR-2 swirl remover paste or Meguires Swirl-X, even Farecla G3 will do the job
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 10:20   #13
7T5
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Super resin polish is a polish, it has very little cut but has fillers that mask swirl marks and it cleans the paint. It does not have as much cut as tcut, but that's horrible stuff anyway. If you want a cutting polish you really need a proper da polisher or orbital polisher. For a novice a da polisher is better, and a polish with diminishing abrasives, that way the polish when worked properly will finish down to a nice shine and not leave any marring. If you could post up a photo it would be handy.
7T5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 10:20   #14
jonathan63
This is my second home

CDTi Conniosseur SE HLNav Tourer and a Personal Line CDT Conniosseur SE Tourer..for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
SRP won't cut at all, it's a polish I use Poorboys SSR-2 swirl remover paste or Meguires Swirl-X, even Farecla G3 will do the job
Hmm! until 2 years ago my car was owned by 1 person, who I assume, only washed it with water and fair-liquid or a cheap shampoo.

The paint is:
* dull
* very little metallic sparkle
* covered in tiny spidery scratches

I think I need some cutting back don't I?????
Old 18th January 2017, 10:39   #15
jonathan63
This is my second home

Quote:
Super resin polish is a polish, it has very little cut but has fillers that mask swirl marks and it cleans the paint. It does not have as much cut as tcut, but that's horrible stuff anyway. If you want a cutting polish you really need a proper da polisher or orbital polisher. For a novice a da polisher is better, and a polish with diminishing abrasives, that way the polish when worked properly will finish down to a nice shine and not leave any marring. If you could post up a photo it would be handy.
Thanks for that 7T5. I cant post a photo (tried that before). I could email you one though.
Old 18th January 2017, 11:39   #16
7T5
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Thanks for that 7T5. I cant post a photo (tried that before). I could email you one though.
I will pm my email to you.
I always start with the least harsh polish first, its amazing what super resin polish can do. You may also be amazed how good it looks after a proper clean and the clay cloth used, this removes lots of stuff that reduces the paint shine.

Last edited by 7T5; 18th January 2017 at 11:42..
Old 18th January 2017, 12:52   #17
jonathan63
This is my second home

Quote:
I will pm my email to you.
I always start with the least harsh polish first, its amazing what super resin polish can do. You may also be amazed how good it looks after a proper clean and the clay cloth used, this removes lots of stuff that reduces the paint shine.
Email sent 7T5.
Old 18th January 2017, 13:26   #18
7T5
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Thanks for the photos. The paintwork looks like it needs a good clay to get all the bonded on stuff off. The swirls are light looking, i would be tempted to try the super resin polish. It will mask them and remove very light ones. Would be handy for you if you could get a sample from a member nearer to try first. Its the only polish i would use by hand, it works so well.
Once polished you can then top with the wax or sealant of your choice, but Autoglym products work best with there polish.
The wood finished surrounds you emailed to look really nice.
Old 21st January 2017, 18:50   #19
jonathan63
This is my second home

Been shopping and spent more than I meant to.

Polishing bonnets for my 12v polisher (I know, probably a waste of money)
Sheepskin mitten for buffing off.
Tape for masking off plastic and chrome.
Meguires even coat applicator pad x2

G3 body prep clay mitt.
Farecla professional scratch remover liquid (for the bit the polish doesn't touch)
Autoglym Super Resin Polish (for most of the car)
Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection.

Anything else I need?