Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 17th January 2017, 16:47   #11
Rsnail
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon

FrenchMike, it was exactly the case that you stated Turns out the driveshaft was not fully pushed home and shortly after 1 week of driving the car and replacing the slave, it came out of place again, now they fixed it back in place accordingly and it's all good. Thank you!
Rsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 17:09   #12
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
FrenchMike, it was exactly the case that you stated Turns out the driveshaft was not fully pushed home and shortly after 1 week of driving the car and replacing the slave, it came out of place again, now they fixed it back in place accordingly and it's all good. Thank you!
I am just starting the clutch change job on my car - is there a foolproof way to check the driveshafts are fully pushed back in ? On other cars I have worked on, you can usually hear a click as the circlip on the inner end of the driveshaft clicks into place.

I will start a thread on my clutch change saga over the coming days to keep you updated and perhaps ask for advice along the way. I am taking my time and doing it very slowly/thoroughly - I only want to do the job once !

Cheers
Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 17:10   #13
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsnail View Post
As I suggested in post #8 then

Very pleased to hear you got it sorted.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 17:19   #14
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post
I am just starting the clutch change job on my car - is there a foolproof way to check the driveshafts are fully pushed back in ? On other cars I have worked on, you can usually hear a click as the circlip on the inner end of the driveshaft clicks into place.

I will start a thread on my clutch change saga over the coming days to keep you updated and perhaps ask for advice along the way. I am taking my time and doing it very slowly/thoroughly - I only want to do the job once !

Cheers
Pete
Yes,you must hear a click ,see my updated "how to" and good luck (not the best season !)

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=45125

Mike
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2017, 18:15   #15
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchMike View Post
Yes,you must hear a click ,see my updated "how to" and good luck (not the best season !)

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=45125

Mike
Thanks Mike - I agree warmer weather would be nice, but I am quite hardy (I was up on the Welsh Hills in the snow last week), and wrapped up warm out in the garage is not too bad a place to be. I 'll start a thread so folks can see my progress, and comment or hurl abuse, as appropriate !

Cheers

Pete
Old 17th January 2017, 21:08   #16
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

If the driveshaft circlip is not doing its job on assembly then the shaft can easily be pulled out again. ( fallen off.- )

Takes a bit of a tug if the circlip is OK.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 08:15   #17
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastPete View Post

Cheers
Pete
I pack the circlip groove with grease to allow the circlip to be perfectly centralised Pete, the shaft is then entered into the gearbox carefully to prevent damage to the oil seal lip (which I usually smear a little red rubber grease on) then once resistance is felt when the shaft is almost home, I give the inner CV joint a sharp tap with a soft faced mallet and it will slide into place.

It will not be possible to slide the inner CV joint out once the circlip is engaged

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2017, 09:10   #18
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
I pack the circlip groove with grease to allow the circlip to be perfectly centralised Pete, the shaft is then entered into the gearbox carefully to prevent damage to the oil seal lip (which I usually smear a little red rubber grease on) then once resistance is felt when the shaft is almost home, I give the inner CV joint a sharp tap with a soft faced mallet and it will slide into place.

It will not be possible to slide the inner CV joint out once the circlip is engaged

Brian
Thanks Brian

Is it best to fit new circlips ? (I don't think the wad bothered with such finer details)
Cheers

Pete