Notices

Old 26th January 2017, 13:32   #21
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mss View Post
So, having stated that BT usually charges 2-3 times what a piece of equipment should cost, you now say that the Home Hub is "good for the price"
Not exactly - I summarised the opinions from the reviews you linked to. Personally I think all this type of hardware has an overly high retail price.

Quote:
Actually, if you read the one of the reviews above, the headline is "BT Smart Hub review: The best ISP-supplied router bar none"

It is the only router to get 5* out of all the routers costing up to £200.
Yes, and that is the opinion of the review not indisputable fact. If you believe that the price has no bearing on that star rating then (I believe that) you are mistaken: especially if that leads you to think that the BT device costing half the price is actually funtionally and perfomancewise better than the more expensive device with half a star less.

As far as "The best ISP-supplied router bar none" I doubt that they tested every ISP supplied router in the UK, Out of the what I saw in the test groups they were fairly limited - I've never had anything more than a basic router supplied by any ISP so being the 'best' doesn't exactly require greatness.
Quote:
These ISP routers are designed to provide the features required by 99.9% of the public and the BT one provides excellent performance, build quality etc. as well. It is the performance that is relevant to 99.9% of the consumer market, not complex WAN onfigurations etc.

If you need more features, spend circa £300 and buy yourself a Drayek Vigor or £1k and buy a CISCO.

The fact that you use a BT Hub, despite the above views, says it all really.
Yes these ISP routers do provide the features required by the majority of end users. And no there's no need to go as far even as £300 for the features I'm looking for. £75-£150 will do it for a home situation.

At the end of the day if you are happy to pay BT for their equipment and it satisfies your requirements then fair enough. If you'd like to get the same or better for less cost and you want something more than a basic Router with WiFi and a few ethernet ports then it can be had for less money than BT would charge. The choice is with the consumer.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button

Last edited by Avulon; 26th January 2017 at 13:42..
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th January 2017, 21:04   #22
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Personally I think all this type of hardware has an overly high retail price.
The price is only partly determined by the cost of the hardware. The real cost is in the firmware development and the IPR embedded therein, which is measured in 10's of thousands of mandays.

Quote:
If you believe that the price has no bearing on that star rating then (I believe that) you are mistaken: especially if that leads you to think that the BT device costing half the price is actually funtionally and perfomancewise better than the more expensive device with half a star less.
When a router gets 5* for performance and value for money in a review (and many reviews), I think it gives a good indication of the router's performance.

Quote:

At the end of the day if you are happy to pay BT for their equipment and it satisfies your requirements then fair enough. If you'd like to get the same or better for less cost and you want something more than a basic Router with WiFi and a few ethernet ports then it can be had for less money than BT would charge. The choice is with the consumer.
But nothing that performs as well as this router.

My question would be, why knock a product that wins accolades for performance and VFM?

If it doesn't offer a featue that you need, fair enough, but it is an outstanding router for the intended market nevertheless.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote