Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th September 2017, 20:12   #11
Lovel
I really should get out more.......

P6B, L550, Imp, F56, Commando

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Gary; excellent research and evidence, thank you.

I did not expect 'regulated' fuel pressure to vary with engine speed. Why should it?

But then, does it? 4.5 at full revs then 4.3 at idle? It would seem that pressure readings at the schrader valve are anything but reliable data for fault diagnosis.

Simon
There is a regulator on the end of the inlet manifold which receives vacuum from the inlet manifold, hence as throttle opened or closed the fuel pressure is regulated to an extent in addition to the 4.5 Bar regulator built into the fuel pump itself.

Perhaps a simple fuel pressure reading static is not that accurate, and you really have to run the vehicle a decent distance to obtain a reliable reading however if you have low fuel pressure such as FOC, blocked filter or inferior pump, or leak in high pressure fuel line inside tank it should manifest itself with a particular low reading perhaps in realms of 1 to 2 Bar or less?

Last edited by Lovel; 10th September 2017 at 20:41..
Lovel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2017, 20:15   #12
Lovel

The fuel pump priming and cutting out after a few seconds is not because there is pressure present in the fuel line. The ECU sends voltage for that few seconds or so to fill/pressure up the system, however if you have a crappy pump or blocked filter or FOC it could be 1 Bar or 10 Bar and the pump will still receive a voltage to pump until the ECU switches it of again.

Last edited by Lovel; 10th September 2017 at 20:35..
Old 10th September 2017, 20:47   #13
Lovel

I spent a long time trying to track down similar circumstances on a horrid little 205gti, it turned out that there was a hairline split in the flexible pipe on the upstream side of the fuel pump within the fuel tank and all it would do was to recirculate back into the tank. I could get the car started but it would just cut out, we may have had about 0.5 Bar pressure at the manifold end or so with the split pipe but it was not enough to get the engine going.

Perhaps someone had been in the tank area before you, knowing that the pipework on these saddle tanks are not that simple, the pipework shrink and harden over time especially since they are located inside the tank, and couple this with a pair of heavy hands and little patience can often be the undoing of things.

Last edited by Lovel; 10th September 2017 at 20:51..
Old 10th September 2017, 21:56   #14
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovel View Post
There is a regulator on the end of the inlet manifold which receives vacuum from the inlet manifold ...
Ah yes, the device which you correctly referred to as the damper!

From all that you've found out Gary, what is your conclusion about pressure readings at the schrader valve? Does less than 4.45 bar (1.8T) at idle definitely mean there's a fault?

Simon
Old 14th September 2017, 11:04   #15
Lovel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Ah yes, the device which you correctly referred to as the damper!

From all that you've found out Gary, what is your conclusion about pressure readings at the schrader valve? Does less than 4.45 bar (1.8T) at idle definitely mean there's a fault?

Simon
Well what can I deduce from the testing carried out?

-Perhaps @<3 Bar the owner would experience running problems.

-It would also appear that the pressure readings improve over time, ie take the car for a drive first then take the readings.

-For a better understanding of pressure readings hook up the pressure gauge for a dynamic reading while test driving if safe to do so.

-Would be interesting to obtain owners pressure readings from vehicles that have had the filter housing backing off and after they have twisted it back on with the dry and tiny cross section o-ring potentially extruding from the housing due to lack-of lubricant upon assembly, but then again my thread from October 2013 investigating fuel pump alternatives showed pressure readings of 2.8 Bar with a partially backed off filter housing.

Looks like the pump itself also fits the complete 75/ZT petrol range. It is perhaps the 4.55 Bar pressure regulator (1.8T) on the filter housing that is changed dependant upon the type of engine installed. Note the same VDO pump number is also used in Mini models R50 & R53 so perhaps another good source from the scrapyard that we could use.

https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/s...pumps/rover/75

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fuel-Pump-...QAAOSwInVXHL4n

https://the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/s...+pump+pressure

Last edited by Lovel; 15th September 2017 at 08:50..