Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 27th April 2014, 20:51   #51
NigelOBB
This is my second home

04 Rover 75 Contemporary SE - 53 Rover 75 Connoisseur -94 Mercedes W140 - 72 VW Beetle 1300

http://www.eurocarparts.com/mobile/suspension-bushes

Here's a link

Keep smiling - it makes people wonder what you've been up to.

NigelOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 09:52   #52
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default Hydramount

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim lee View Post
On the diesels the Hydramount is at the driver's side of the engine at the top. It is a circular black rubber piece with its axis vertical. It sits below another round rubber bush type part that assists with fore and aft location of the engine. Apparently the Hydramount is filled with a small quantity of glycerine that serves a similar role to the oil in the suspension dampers. If this fluid is lost, then incorrect operation results. As I mentioned, my old Hydramount showed no signs of leakage or damage, but leakage might have happened before I bought the car as the vibration/fidgity ride had been present since I bought the car.
Jim, re the Hydramount, if I feel the engine at tickover it is vibrating violently
but if I feel its metal bracket where it bolts to the inner wing the vibration is negligible. I have taken this to indicate that the Hydramount is doing its job efficiently. Did you try this sort of test before you changed the rubber doughnut?
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2014, 12:10   #53
jim lee
Regular poster

Rover75

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuzerk View Post
Jim, re the Hydramount, if I feel the engine at tickover it is vibrating violently
but if I feel its metal bracket where it bolts to the inner wing the vibration is negligible. I have taken this to indicate that the Hydramount is doing its job efficiently. Did you try this sort of test before you changed the rubber doughnut?
Yes, I did try this test before I changed the Hydramount but it was inconclusive. I was getting the annoying vibration at the steering wheel so, presumably something was being transmitted to the car's structure. Also, the biggest effect of changing the Hydramount was the improvement in the ride, probably a much lower frequency symptom than the engine induced vibration.
jim lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th May 2014, 14:41   #54
wuzerk
Passed Away

Rover 75 CDT 03 auto Conn. SE

Default Hydramount

Quote:
Yes, I did try this test before I changed the Hydramount but it was inconclusive. I was getting the annoying vibration at the steering wheel so, presumably something was being transmitted to the car's structure. Also, the biggest effect of changing the Hydramount was the improvement in the ride, probably a much lower frequency symptom than the engine induced vibration.
Jim, was changing the Hydramount straightforward in your case? I ask because I have tried to fit a new one and was defeated by the fact that when I attempted to undo the four bolts fixing the mount to the engine block
it twisted so much as soon as the bolts were loosened that I had to abandon
the exercise. It took a hefty crowbar to force the mount back in position in order to replace the couple of bolts which I had removed. The twist was so pronounced that I am wondering if the mount (one end of which sits on the rubber doughnuts centre spindle) is actually bent despite being such a hefty lump of metal.
wuzerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2014, 14:56   #55
jim lee
Regular poster

Rover75

Fred,

I did get your PM but I might not have sent my reply properly. So, I shall repeat it here.

I cannot help much with your problem as my garage did all the work for me. What I can say is that they had some difficulty unscrewing the old Hydramount from the car's body. They had to resort to a hammer and very blunt chisel to get it started. This was not a problem as the old unit was scrap anyway. They did not mention any other problem.

Best of luck tomorrow.

Jim
Old 4th November 2018, 19:59   #56
timbough77

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Having bought myself an 04 Reg, 46k miles, auto last November I am just now posting my first message.
Before its purchase, I had read much about the model's magic carpet ride. It is unfortunate that this is the one area with which I am disappointed. My last car was a humble Skoda Fabia and I must say it rode far more smoothly than my '75, to a degree that I can only assume is because of some fault or feature of this particular car. So I am asking for some advice.
Within days of buying the 75 I bought two new rear tyres (Goodyear). The fronts are Firestone with 6mm tread. Wheels are 16" Unions and the tyres are all 55% profile. I drove the car so little before fitting these new tyres I cannot say whether they have made any difference to the ride.
Generally the car handles well. Very stable steering, no pulling or tramlining and and is not affected by bumps. Also, there are no knocks or other noises from the suspension. However, on anything other than billiard table smooth roads it is very fidgity. In this regard it is put to shame by my old Skoda. It is also much worse than my son's 2010 Honda Civic fitted with incredibly low profile tyres.
I appreciate my 16" wheels with 55% profile tyres were not the highest profile fitted to the 75s, but neither were they the lowest.
In essence my question is; should I be looking for some particular suspension problem (worn dampers, broken springs etc.) or is this something I cannot change other than by fitting higher profile tyres (and smaller wheels)? Or do I have to sell the car?

Best regards and thanks to anybody who can offer their experience.

Jim Lee
Southampton
Hi Jim, I came across a later posting of yours to the above posting about a harsh ride in your Rover 75 wherein you seemed to have mostly resolved the problem by changing the dampers ,springs and struts.
I am new-ish to the forum and not very technical but have a Rover 75 Club SE 2.5 auto with a bumpy ride which has been driving me nuts.
I'm wondering if I was to do ask my local garage to change the springs and dampers if it would help, I did ask them last year about it but they were unsure.
Reading your post has given a bit of hope.
Our Rover is a lovely looking car but I don't enjoy driving it unless the road is very smooth.
Any feedback or advice from your experience would be very welcome.
best wishes
Tim
Salisbury
timbough77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th November 2018, 20:49   #57
jim lee
Regular poster

Rover75

Tim,

I looked at many potential causes of what I considered to be the poor ride of my R75; at no little expense. Most of the changes I made are set out in earlier posts. However, the final one, which I think is not mentioned in those posts is to change the 16" wheels for 15". The higher profile tyres, 65% as opposed to 55%, give a greater depth of shock absorbing air filled rubber to isolate the car's structure from the road.

This change of wheels, and tyres, gave a noticeable improvement to a degree that I wish I had taken this step before I made the other changes, such as dampers and springs. I shall now avoid, like the plague, modern low profile tyres on any future car that I buy; to the point that tyre profile will be a deal breaker!

As far as advice concerning your R75 goes I would make sure there are no obvious issues, such as a previous owner having fitted suspension components from an MG, broken springs or siezed dampers etc. and only start on a path of replacing major parts with correct good quality components if you are willing and able to throw money at the car. I suspect by now you will have found the tip that codes for the correct springs and dampers for your car are to be found on a label beneath the rear seat cushion.

Good Luck
Jim Lee
Old 5th November 2018, 07:49   #58
tourer
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer CDT Auto.

Holy Thread Resurrection, Batman!!!
Only 4 and a half years.

Last edited by tourer; 5th November 2018 at 08:24..
tourer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 08:26   #59
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tourer View Post
Holy Tread Resurrection, Batman!!!
Only 4 and a half years.
TREAD resurrection.--Lol.---Very appropriate.

My one has Firestone treads. Not too bad on the road.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2018, 11:36   #60
Split_Pin
Regular poster

Rover 75 Saloon

Both my 75s have a very fidgety ride at the back. I put it down to my previous example having perished van tyres on the back however my current example with correct tyres still rides the same. Both have 15 inch wheels.

I test drive an 80k facelift example earlier in the year which had 17 inch wheels and the magic carpet ride was present.

It doesn't bother me enough to spend any money doing anything about it but it would be interesting to know nonetheless if there was a cheap remedy.
Split_Pin is offline   Reply With Quote