Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th March 2019, 18:11   #31
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Whether the 'technical' insight is correct or not, what has it got to do with brake wear sensors?

The listing of metals in the way illustrated is normally called the electropotential series. (Wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galvanic_series) and is an indication of the voltage that might created between any pair in the presence of an electrolyte (a liquid that conducts electricity). Obviously, the metals must be uninsulated for a current to pass between them. I find the example of copper grease enhancing 'corrosion' of alloy wheels to be unconvincing. Exactly how long it would take finely dispersed copper in 'Copper Grease' to get into that state is crux to the argument. There's a heck of a lot of non-volatile, thermally stable organic gloop in a grease and eliminating that by 'evaporation' even at elevated temperatures would take decades I reckon. In a fifty year old wheel bearing, you'll still find the original grease there. It maybe black and thick and it won't conduct electricity. By using 'science' to persuade us that this is right and that is wrong, selling your product can become relatively easy. By the way almost all lubricating greases are 'metallic'. They typically contain lithium. See where that stands in the list. Oh and molybdenum of course. (Clue: Lithium batteries).

TC

Last edited by T-Cut; 5th March 2019 at 18:19..
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote