Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 31st December 2022, 06:31   #1
myrova
Avid contributor

rover 75 2.5 v6 Conn saloon

Default Beware of Sneik Auto tensioner

Hi Folks
I fitted one of these and after 5 months it cracked completely in half(2.5KV6)
Claims to be "German" made in China its about as German as a Wanton!!!.
Seller claimed shelf life of six months and if I wanted it to last longer than 5 months buy Gates,not happy, ongoing refund battle looming.

Best Wishes Dan Gardner
myrova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd January 2023, 19:31   #2
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by myrova View Post
Hi Folks
I fitted one of these and after 5 months it cracked completely in half(2.5KV6)
Claims to be "German" made in China its about as German as a Wanton!!!.
Seller claimed shelf life of six months and if I wanted it to last longer than 5 months buy Gates,not happy, ongoing refund battle looming.

Best Wishes Dan Gardner
That's disgusting. Can you post a link to the seller so we know to avoid please. I'm so tired of buying landfill from China. We are our own worst enemy, as there are fewer and fewer manufacturers of good quality components.

Definitely worth finding the extra pennies for proper parts made buy companies like Gates, TRW and alike in my opinion. Especially where suck a large percentage of a repair bill is labour related.

Last edited by Typhoon190; 2nd January 2023 at 19:33..
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th January 2023, 18:24   #3
VickersVC10

Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post
That's disgusting. Can you post a link to the seller so we know to avoid please. I'm so tired of buying landfill from China. We are our own worst enemy, as there are fewer and fewer manufacturers of good quality components.

Definitely worth finding the extra pennies for proper parts made buy companies like Gates, TRW and alike in my opinion. Especially where suck a large percentage of a repair bill is labour related.
Seems to be getting worse too! I recently bought a Gates timing belt kit for a non MGR car, all the idlers and tensioners arrived stamped China! :-( INA or one of the Schaeffler Group brands only going forward I fear!
VickersVC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th January 2023, 11:36   #4
myrova
Avid contributor

rover 75 2.5 v6 Conn saloon

Default Beware of Sneik auto tensioner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoon190 View Post

This is the company on Aliexpress GW9 Autoparts Store,I did some research and warranties as we know it dont seem to exist in China ,all they give you is 75 days,its taught me a lesson.

Kind Regards Dan Gardner
myrova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th January 2023, 09:56   #5
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VickersVC10 View Post
I recently bought a Gates timing belt kit for a non MGR car, all the idlers and tensioners arrived stamped China! :-(
Hi Jay,

We have to be careful here. China produces high quality goods as well as low quality; which you get depends upon what the commissioning company requires. For example iPhones are made in China and so are C-tek smart battery chargers (American and Swedish companies respectively). So the reputation of the brand needs to be taken into consideration when reaching a decision. Dan says that he bought a Sneik tensioner. When I Googled this, there was no result for an alleged German automotive parts company. It's always worth spending some time researching apparent bargains from outside your home country.

Simon