Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 5th July 2010, 17:52   #21
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Hi.
If you have not done something you have not told us about, then it seems as if you have fuel.
If the car then does not start, then it follows that you must have lost your spark.

Fuses, connections, crank-sensor, ECU (water in the plenum?)
Try a disconnect of the battery for about half an hour, and a check all fuses/relays.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 19:07   #22
Rov5
Loves to post

Rover 75

Default Car wont start

OK you now believe you are getting fuel,can I ask how you checked the spark and have you checked the compressions in each cylinder.Last but not least,this problem only seems to havr reared its head since it was in the garage for am I right a new thermostat.Have you spoken to them.
If all these things have been checked and they are ok then I thing you really need to get the vehicle onto a good diagnostic machinte to see if any fault codes have been registered and to check any live data when the car is turning over.
Rov5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 19:51   #23
generalkelly
Avid contributor

Rover 75 1.8t Con SE & MGF 1.8i VVC

**UPDATE**

I've looked again and realised that the spark plugs are not getting wet, don't know why I thought so first time.

With dry plugs I disconnected the fuel hose leading into the engine and when turning over no fuel is coming out.

I also tried disconnecting the fuel hose from the fuel filter and turning over, again no fuel coming out. Am I right in thinking that when the engine turns over fuel should flow out of the filter? Also is the fuel hose plugged into the filter the same one that goes into the engine?

Can anyone shed any light on this please?

Regards, Rich.

p.s. again, thanks all so much for the comments so far, sorry I misled with my last post, I'm on a steep learning curve here!

Last edited by generalkelly; 5th July 2010 at 19:54..
generalkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2010, 22:04   #24
Rov5
Loves to post

Rover 75

Default Wont start

Now we are getting somewhere.You say you are not getting fuel coming out of the fuel filter,right then disconect the fuel pipe going into the fuel filter and see if fuel is getting up to the filter.
If not check that the under bonnet fuel pump is running when the engine is turning over.If it isnt then you need to check whether the fuel pump is getting a 12 volt supply.
Once we have this information we can take it further.
Old 5th July 2010, 22:27   #25
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalkelly View Post
I have opened the filter and the O rings are all where they should be according to T-Cut's excellent 'how to'. - - - I have resealed the filter lid and have fitted the 'FOC'.
There maybe a clue here, cos that's exactly what I did prior to doing the HowTo. Opening up the filter can be a bad move. I did that and mine wouldn't start either, even with the FOC and everything apparently in place. I stripped it all down again to find the cap O-ring distorted and stretched. They seem easily displaced and you have to treat it with kid gloves. I had to buy the very expensive filter kit just to get the O-ring. When I refitted the new one and lubed it carefully, FOC on and the unit back in position, the engine started first turn. I see you can now get O-rings on eBay.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 06:41   #26
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Ok, so back into reverse, with friends like you, who needs enemies??

I would check the filter again. I have never had problems with the O-ring myself, so I would check and see if the assembly is done correctly.

IF you need another O-ring, then you should be able to sort that from any reputable bearing/seal supplier. In the worst case they can perhaps get one made up. You can glue these things.

I would put my money on a duff assembly.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2010, 19:24   #27
generalkelly
Avid contributor

****UPDATE No. 2****

Hold the press...my baby lives and breathes!

My brother who is a Land Rover nut had borrowed my haines manual to have a look through and see if there was anything helpful in there. He read in there about the fuel inertia cut-off switch located behind the glove box.

A long shot I know as the car hadn't been in an accident, but tried pressing the switch anyway....lo and behold it worked, car started first time!

I'm wondering if the sudden loss of pressure when the filter lid opened triggered the switch?

Either way I'm overjoyed and would like to thank you all for your help and advice over the last few days, would never have been able to fit the fabled orange clip without it.

Muchos gracias amigo's!

Rich
Old 6th July 2010, 20:40   #28
Rov5
Loves to post

Rover 75

Default wont start

If the fuel inertia cut off switch was activated then the fuel pumps would not have been working,from memory you said you could hear them.It is essential when you ask for help that you give back accurate feedback.
Old 6th July 2010, 21:12   #29
generalkelly
Avid contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rov5 View Post
If the fuel inertia cut off switch was activated then the fuel pumps would not have been working,from memory you said you could hear them.It is essential when you ask for help that you give back accurate feedback.
My feedback was accurate on the fuel pump whine, I'm no expert at car mechanics but my ears work fine!