Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th May 2011, 19:21   #21
Mr Edd
From the Horses Mouth

2012 Honda Oddessay and 1996 Ford Ranger Truck (Splash)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
I used to screw, then glue but all to no avail. if you look at the lid of the vis the switches are held in place by the casing there are extensions that are above the switches and press them into place. I did think about extending the protusions on the casings to press firmer onto the switches.

Edit. There is no need whatso ever to reglue the motors, they hold nicely on the electrical contacts and the casing retaining clips
Yes I saw them but thought that they may fall short of actually doing what they are suppose to. I did notice one or two micros switches were very loose so assumed a firmer fixed was required. Perhaps a small thin plastic maybe the thickness of a credit card glued to the top of the switches would be sufficient? Then when the lid is put back it would give a better purchase.

Edd
Old 8th May 2011, 19:35   #22
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Edd View Post
credit card..... purchase.

Edd
Sorry made me smile.

I have found that if you operate the vis without the top on sometimes when the cam pushes against the switch they move/flex ever so slightly, others do not. Needless to say when bench testing the ones that fail are the ones that do move. Again the switches can be different, some having locating pegs that protude through the board and some that finish flush. The ones that protrude seem to be a tighter fit.

Have fun Edd

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th May 2011, 19:54   #23
Mr Edd
From the Horses Mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocktake View Post
Sorry made me smile.

I have found that if you operate the vis without the top on sometimes when the cam pushes against the switch they move/flex ever so slightly, others do not. Needless to say when bench testing the ones that fail are the ones that do move. Again the switches can be different, some having locating pegs that protude through the board and some that finish flush. The ones that protrude seem to be a tighter fit.

Have fun Edd
Yep I noticed some protruded and some didn't. Those that did I heated the ends with the soldering iron to try and fix em like a rivet. The others I glued and clamped until dry. But once back together you just don't know hey???

I am still amazed at how much oily gunk gets in em. there are some very fundamental problems with the design and manufacture of these considering the cost of them.

My bet is if they were only a few quid each we would see them as a service item that should be changed at certain intervals or before, if not working. It is the cost of them that is frightening considering the quality.

Edd
Old 10th May 2011, 16:18   #24
rizel23
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 SE Dark Fantasy

well i have repaired my power vis and its gone again today, is there anyone who can fix them or exchange? Please PM me, thanks
Old 10th May 2011, 21:18   #25
Mr Edd
From the Horses Mouth

How long did it last for?

Well I am trying to do a few but I have been a little busy this week so hope to get onto them by weekend.

I will be none compos mentis next week, I have a lot I have to do and can't get out of it.

So much to do and so little time.

I am thinking that a two pack glue maybe better at holding the switches down. I think also I have to get a new soldering iron as this one I have is very old and I don't think it is getting hot enough.

Still a learning curve, the problem is not knowing if they will have any longer longevity then new ones. And that is what we are aiming for.

Edd
Old 11th May 2011, 07:16   #26
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
I am thinking that a two pack glue maybe better at holding the switches down. I think also I have to get a new soldering iron as this one I have is very old and I don't think it is getting hot enough.
Mr. Edd,

Perhaps your soldering iron is the problem. I don't believe that adhesive is necessary (or desirable; what happens if you need to remove the switch at a later date?). The microswitch which I renewed is held in place only by the solder tags. That was two years ago and it's fine.

Simon.
Old 11th May 2011, 09:14   #27
rizel23
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 190 SE Dark Fantasy

Quote:
How long did it last for?

Well I am trying to do a few but I have been a little busy this week so hope to get onto them by weekend.

I will be none compos mentis next week, I have a lot I have to do and can't get out of it.

So much to do and so little time.

Still a learning curve, the problem is not knowing if they will have any longer longevity then new ones. And that is what we are aiming for.

Edd
4 days :-( Seems the power vis is past it, obviously when put under pressure the small components have just warn out and will not hold
Old 4th June 2011, 16:19   #28
Mr Edd
From the Horses Mouth

Rather than start another VIS thread I thought I might add these pictures here...

I have been playing around with some duff VIS motors (I'm on a learning curve). I found a couple or so that I could not get working...

This is what they should look like...

The bit inside the red box should look like this...

And this...

I found two that looked like this...

I don't have to tell you that these are knackered.

I know that some of you have repaired them by soldering a small wire across the burnt out bits. That will be my next job, I just need a light gauge wire to do it with. My spare bit of Buzz bar seems a bit of overkill.

I also found one motor that was definitely unhappy. When I tried to run it with a 9v battery it was sparking and smoking like Mount Vesuvius. I couldn't get pictures of that, I don't have enough hands and feet to hold everything at the same time and click a camera. But you can rest assured I'm working on it.

If anyone wants to use any of these pictures to illustrate a point, go for it. You, probably, can explain these things better than me anyway.

To give you an idea of the sizes we are dealing with... That is a match head at the bottom of this picture...

Edd

Last edited by Mr Edd; 4th June 2011 at 16:21..
Mr Edd is offline   Reply With Quote