Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Club Classifieds > Traders Shops & Members Spares For-Sale > Members Own Spares For Sale
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 15th December 2011, 20:39   #11
VMax1000
Passed Away

MG ZT260

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygates View Post
Could you apply all your knowledge and well meaning to providing some information on where you could source some steel rims and matching thin tyres for our cars?
Not sure about the steel rims but 17" Rover wheels will probably do on the 260 with 205/55/17 tyres. Problem is clearing the rear brake disc. Also the rim may not be rated for the heavier 260

Another point to consider is that the insurance may get funny when there are none approved wheel/tyre combinations on the car in case you have to claim.
Old 15th December 2011, 20:46   #12
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

You can put Mirage 17" wheels on a 260... but most 17"s wont fit.
Old 15th December 2011, 21:15   #13
Roverowner
Retired

CDTi Tourer 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by skygates View Post
Could you apply all your knowledge and well meaning to providing some information on where you could source some steel rims and matching thin tyres for our cars?
I´m afraid that you can´t get any -thinner- these days than the standard dimention for the car as per makers recomendations. Most people go for fatter rims and tyres which makes them more snow boards. There are 16 inch steel rims available (MGR spec) but one should be able to get some 17ns from other makers (japs do the same bolt dimentions)

There are some very good places to get tyres in UK. Look through the list when googling. A lot better than here. Think I would go for the Goodyear ones and standard dimention for the 75. In a 17 if you can get the rims. I´ve got 15 inch MGR ones in standard dim (with dubbs). If you get something like I have suggested and drive accordingly you should never need socks or chains, I´ve never used them:xmas-smiley-004:

Being a 260 it is difficult. Mine is a 2.5 Connie saloon from 1999. It´s on 185s, 15 inch. I think the makers moved more and more over to fatter tyres just to cash in on the fad of geting wider tyres with bigger rims. No technical reason why your 260 couldn´t run on 18 inch with decent thinner winter tyres. Probably not so much money in it.

I would drive it very gingerly in the slush and ice and would def. get studded tyres forit over here....

Last edited by Roverowner; 15th December 2011 at 22:15..
Old 18th December 2011, 13:05   #14
billcoleman
Gets stuck in

MGZT-T

I used Wintracs last winter and have just put them back on my car. The difference in snow is unbelievable. With standard summer tyres, the ZT is terrible in the snow - with the Wintracs, you just dont get stuck.

I know that thinner tyres are better than our wide tyres in the snow, but we only get a few days of snow. When the temperature is generally below 7 degrees C, these tyres are just so much better than the summer's and they dont wear much faster - even when it gets a little warmer.
Closed Thread