Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th March 2012, 08:41   #1
kolloski

Rover 75 Tourer

Default Uneven tyre wear

My father-in-law who is a very experienced mechanic put a new rear spring into my CDT tourer at Chrsitmas. Since then the tyre has been wearing on the outside. Thought the problem was that it needed aligning, so took it for a 'free' alignment check at the loacl garage. The garage said that the wrong spring was fitted and that was causing the wear, not the alignment.

As my father-in-law has been a mechanic for over 45 years I thought I would call him for his opinion. In his to the point northen manner he said that the garage did not know what they were talking about - the spring would not cause the wear it would be something else. He lives other end of the country so cant get the car to him to look at.

I'm confused ....be good to get others thoughts.
kolloski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 09:24   #2
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

Rear springs should really be replaced in pairs,the springs are colour coded and the codes can be found under the rear seat base.

An incorrect rear spring or a single spring fitted can cause the tyre wear as the suspension geometry will be out.

Four wheel laser alignment is the method of tracking the car.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 09:24   #3
felixx
Regular poster

Volvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolloski View Post
My father-in-law who is a very experienced mechanic put a new rear spring into my CDT tourer at Chrsitmas. Since then the tyre has been wearing on the outside. Thought the problem was that it needed aligning, so took it for a 'free' alignment check at the loacl garage. The garage said that the wrong spring was fitted and that was causing the wear, not the alignment.

As my father-in-law has been a mechanic for over 45 years I thought I would call him for his opinion. In his to the point northen manner he said that the garage did not know what they were talking about - the spring would not cause the wear it would be something else. He lives other end of the country so cant get the car to him to look at.

I'm confused ....be good to get others thoughts.
well have to disagree with your F-I-L you should replace springs in pairs, the new one will be stiffer then the old one so yes it could very well cause tyre wear..

Sounds to me like you have positive wheel camber, which is place more weight on the outside edge. this could be cause by the incorrect spring or maybe the spring in not seated properly.