Notices

Old 2nd April 2014, 22:20   #141
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weso View Post
Thanks Jeff, the timings still there when I snap, it's the technology I am slow at, if I have to resort to the menu mid session I miss most of the match.

What do you recommend re photo imaging software, I presently shoot in jpeg but am very aware that raw is the way to go as I get more serious.

Given I have virtually no experience of imaging software and no legacy knowledge what would you recommend...
I shoot mainly in JPEG myself as shooting Motorsport even with a fast camera shooting RAW soon has the camera buffering as the file sizes are much larger.
I think RAW is more applicable to portrait and landscape type photography where things are a little more considered and your not firing off the shutter at a rate of knots

I use Photoshop CS 4 but I'm really not much into editing and try and get it right 'in camera' as best I can.
I wasn't much into Film developing back in the day either.
Photoshop Elements should be good enough for most peoples editing although I know a number of peeps also swear by Photoshop Lightroom
Old 2nd April 2014, 22:22   #142
Weso
I really should get out more.......

Mondeo ST TDCI Estate

Just a few more then to bed!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396477312.097059.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396477324.668776.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396477336.202325.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396477348.778368.jpg
Weso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 07:29   #143
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts
Default Post your kit

Mark good morning. Are you going to edit in windows or Mac OS X ? I enjoyed looking at your kit lol. Your photos are nice n. Crisp. Last weekend I went to the BTCC with Jeff and Windrush. Motorsport is a new experience for me. I used 2 cameras. A bridge canon superzoom cam. it's electronic viewfinder struggled to cope with the panning and I gave up trying to use it. The Nikon DSLR handled the panning much better with its optical viewfinder. Naughty me has not uploaded the BTCC shots yet. I edit on a Mac OS X with Photoshop Lightroom 4, photo elements 11, A free one is Picasa 3 and is easy to use but does not have a noise reduction feature similar to the one which Lightroom has on board. I go to the adobe forums for tutorial videos being a learner
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 08:10   #144
Weso
I really should get out more.......

Mondeo ST TDCI Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Mark good morning. Are you going to edit in windows or Mac OS X ? I enjoyed looking at your kit lol. Your photos are nice n. Crisp. Last weekend I went to the BTCC with Jeff and Windrush. Motorsport is a new experience for me. I used 2 cameras. A bridge canon superzoom cam. it's electronic viewfinder struggled to cope with the panning and I gave up trying to use it. The Nikon DSLR handled the panning much better with its optical viewfinder. Naughty me has not uploaded the BTCC shots yet. I edit on a Mac OS X with Photoshop Lightroom 4, photo elements 11, A free one is Picasa 3 and is easy to use but does not have a noise reduction feature similar to the one which Lightroom has on board. I go to the adobe forums for tutorial videos being a learner
Hi Philip and good morning,

I have only a windows 8 laptop, so that will be the path i take. As Jeff has suggested for sport etc jpegs will do. Other stuff landscapes, portraits etc i think there is something to be gained by shooting in raw etc.
Till i got the Olympus body in the last week i have been shooting with Panasonic gear about 4 years old which is about 6 production launches behind. Sensor technology is so fast moving as is EVF technology that the Olympus OMD is going to be a significiant step up in quality for me.
And the EVF should cope with panning not that i need it much for soccer but useful for motorsport.
Once EVF tech matures in the next year or so the mirrorless stuff is going to become a more serious option.
My local LCE photoshop in Norwich which has a used section that i monitor regularly and i now know the staff there. Long chat with them all recently about micro 4/3rds suggested to me that the camera trade all know that micro 4/3rds is the way to go but they cannot pursuade the general public to jump outside the Canon/Nikon DSLR bubble.

Mark
Weso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd April 2014, 08:57   #145
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weso View Post
Hi Philip and good morning,

I have only a windows 8 laptop, so that will be the path i take. As Jeff has suggested for sport etc jpegs will do. Other stuff landscapes, portraits etc i think there is something to be gained by shooting in raw etc.
Till i got the Olympus body in the last week i have been shooting with Panasonic gear about 4 years old which is about 6 production launches behind. Sensor technology is so fast moving as is EVF technology that the Olympus OMD is going to be a significiant step up in quality for me.
And the EVF should cope with panning not that i need it much for soccer but useful for motorsport.
Once EVF tech matures in the next year or so the mirrorless stuff is going to become a more serious option.
My local LCE photoshop in Norwich which has a used section that i monitor regularly and i now know the staff there. Long chat with them all recently about micro 4/3rds suggested to me that the camera trade all know that micro 4/3rds is the way to go but they cannot pursuade the general public to jump outside the Canon/Nikon DSLR bubble.

Mark
Thanks for getting back Mark. I know nothing about 4/3rds or EVF and will be fascinated to understand it. I have seen the cameras in duty free and in the shops and wondered what they are like to use. My interest is in wild life photography and family events. I have not yet made up my mind about motorsports. I would like to see if I can get into the pits next time and sample the characters
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2014, 12:53   #146
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Keeper View Post
Thanks for getting back Mark. I know nothing about 4/3rds or EVF and will be fascinated to understand it. I have seen the cameras in duty free and in the shops and wondered what they are like to use. My interest is in wild life photography and family events. I have not yet made up my mind about motorsports. I would like to see if I can get into the pits next time and sample the characters
Probably going to go to Snetterton in August if you fancy it Phil
It has very good pit lane access
Old 14th October 2016, 09:55   #147
coolcat
This is my second home

Just thought I'd update this thread as my equipment has changed a little from three years back..

In my now larger Tamrac bag is as follows:

Canon 1D mk4 Dslr body

Canon 70-200L F2.8 is mk2 telephoto

Canon 100mm F2.8L is macro

Canon 24-105L F4 is standard zoom

Canon 16-35L F4 is wide angle

Canon 1.4x and 2.0x teleconvertors

Canon 600ex-rt Speedlite flash

As you can see I have now upgraded my camera and some of my lenses and gone over completely to Canon glass.

The next lens I'm going to be saving my penny's for is a second hand Canon 300L F2.8 is prime telephoto......it may take a while

P.s......I have some very nice Sigma lenses and a Canon gripped 7D up for sale here

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=235425

Last edited by coolcat; 14th October 2016 at 17:27..
coolcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 10:02   #148
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcat View Post
Just thought I'd update this thread as my equipment has changed a little from three years back..

In my now larger Tamrac bag is as follows:

Canon 1D mk4

Canon 70-200L F2.8 is mk2 telephoto

Canon 100mm F2.8L is macro

Canon 24-105L F4 is standard zoom

Canon 16-35L F4 is wide angle

Canon 1.4x and 2.0x teleconvertors

Canon 600ex-rt Speedlite flash

As you can see I have now upgraded my camera and some of my lenses and gone over completely to Canon glass.

The next lens I'm going to be saving my penny's for is a second hand Canon 300L F2.8 is prime telephoto......it may take a while

P.s......I have some very nice Sigma lenses and a Canon gripped 7D up for sale here

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=235425
That bag is very impressive Jeff :-)

Just found this on my phone, I used to use it for micro shots. A bit hit and miss, and very difficult to light

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 10:23   #149
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by clf View Post
That bag is very impressive Jeff :-)

Just found this on my phone, I used to use it for micro shots. A bit hit and miss, and very difficult to light

Wow..........that achieves some super close up detail
Old 14th October 2016, 11:44   #150
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

I had a Pentax 12mp DSLR when I posted earlier in this thread in 2013.
I now have a 24mp Sony A6000 mirrorless

Sony A6000 with Sigma 30mm DN F2.8 Art lens
by Paul Stickley, on Flickr

I have

Sony 16-50mm kit zoom

Sony 55-210mm zoom

Sigma 60mm F2-8 DN Art

Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN Art

Samyang 16mm F2.0 ED AS UMC CS

Nisin Di700a flash

Yongnuo YN560 flash

Extension tubes - for all my close up work. (approx £20 on ebay)

I really like the modern electronic viewfinders for the photography I do.

I can fit all this without the flashes in a smallish shoulder bag when I go for walks or the camera with one lens will fit in a jacket pocket.

The primes listed above are all really sharp and I rate them all. The zooms not so sharp but convenient and useful for video.

I have many lenses on my wish list but most realistic next lenses will be

Sony 70-200 F4 zoom - convenient and sharp (not so small though)

Samyang F2.0 135mm - fantastically sharp and F2 - I like using manual lenses on this camera as the magnification available in the viewfinder makes focusing so much easier.

So many choices of cameras today - full frame - aps-c - micro 4/3 - dslr - mirrorless- etc. etc

Thing is - they are all good and excel at different things in an ideal world I would like some of each

http://www.paulstickley.com/

Last edited by Rocket; 14th October 2016 at 12:19..
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote