Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 14th July 2016, 18:02   #11
aguy
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
Please come and find me to say hello.
I certainly will
Old 14th July 2016, 18:04   #12
aguy
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
How will he recognize you
I'll ask around....I'm sure someone will give me a clue what to look for.
Old 14th July 2016, 18:31   #13
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguy View Post
I'll ask around....I'm sure someone will give me a clue what to look for.
Just done 300 miles and no one spotted me so I might be hard to find.

234,360. Getting ready to rock n roll.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2016, 19:01   #14
beejay
Retired

Rover 75, 04 Connie SE Auto. 2.5

You was going at one fast speed of 69.9 mph you wizzed by unseen
beejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2016, 19:02   #15
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Must be 'stealth banana'
Old 14th July 2016, 19:45   #16
Cable Tie
Regional Secretary

Orange grove ztt cdti

Thanked 1,381 Times in 818 Posts

Hope you have a good few days Bob and enjoy yourself drive safe and see ya soon
Old 15th July 2016, 18:14   #17
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool Another sat nav............

.............day out. Found the Garmin sat nav in the glovebox. Thought I would use that today. Oh! Hum!

Had a nice meal last night and a few beers. Really slept well although the double bed was a wee bit uncomfortable. Still I can try the single bed tonight. So this morning after a hearty breakfast, started off with the healthy option with fresh fruit and a yoghurt before dropping back towards the full English.

Programmed the Sat nav and off we went. The destination today was the Jim Clark Room in the old town hall in Duns. Plus I would be meeting up with another forum member, Graham1961. Trundled off up the A1 before branching off onto the A697 towards Coldstream. Saw a Primrose 75 and a MG 3. (Have put it in the was it you section)

Stopped in Powburn and topped up Banana's tank. Petrol stations seemed a bit few and far between out in the countryside. Lovely road, the type Banana loves. Cracking scenery as well. Garmin Sat nav was behaving itself. The radio couldn't make up it's mind what station to tune into, still it made interesting to listen to.

Got into Coldstream and hooked a sharp right and onto the Duns road. Did not really need the Sat nav now but I left it on. Just outside Coldstream the sat nav told me to turn left, thought I'll give it a try might cut a few corners off. So I turned round in a farm yard and made my way back to the main road, turning the sat nav off altogether.

As I pulled into Duns I saw Graham in his stunning Rover 75. It's paintwork gleaming in the sun. We both parked up outside the Jim Clark room. Had a chat before going in. Graham has never been to the room or even to Duns before. There is a plan afoot for an extension to be built onto the existing building to incorporate a few of Jim's cars into the place. The building work has been started. Completion date is sometime in 2018. 50 years after his death.

I have been here before, about 3 years ago, and I'll be back once the extension has been built. They have opened another room with a DVD playing on the loop system. But first we went into the main room. If you have never been then believe me it is well worth a visit. A true legend was Jim Clark. Such a tragedy the way he died. I was at a meet at Brands Hatch on the day he died, and that is where he was susposed to be. Driving the New Ford 3L, the successor to the legendary GT40. But the lure of the F2 race was too much, so Jim went to Hockenheim instead.

After we had watched the DVD, which was very interesting with some very rare footage. We went outside into the cool air. Graham and I stood by the wall and talked about Jim. Then we went in search of food. Left the cars where they were.walk down to the police station, cross over the road and down a side street to the town square. Turn right and into the Swan hotel. Excellent food, Graham managed 3 course's and I struggled with two.

We chatted about Jim Clark and then onto Brexit, touched on some more of the new politics that is happening. Then Graham had me in stitches has he reminisced some of the Spitting Images sketches about our world leaders. Loved it. Then it was time to pay our bill and make our way back to the cars. It was now raining. I had intended going onto to Traquair House but the time was getting on. Will go there tomorrow instead.

Back at the cars we said our goodbye's, next time we meet will be the Granton-on-Spey meet in September. No need to put the sat nav on to go back to the hotel. Nice run back in the rain then glorious sunshine. Only got held up on the A1 owing to a nasty coach crash.

Now back in the pub. A grand day out. Banana never missed a beat and has just tripped over onto 170,000. Oh! Go on then, I'll have another one. Drinking the Prince Bishop at 4.8%.

onen hag oll
Old 16th July 2016, 20:38   #18
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

Cool What a lovely......................

................day, another re-visited memory ticked off of the list.

Had another cracking nights sleep. Had a smaller breakfast this morning, that way I might fancy my lunch more, well that was the plan. Following Richard's directions, and with the help of the sat nav on the iPad, I set out for Traquair House in Peebleshire.

Out on the open road, and Banana was in her element, well we was until we caught up an idiot in a Dacia Duster. At every bend in the road, he braked, even gentle bends. Then he would speed up, and brake for the slight curve in the road. Every time there was a good stretch of road, and nothing or blind summits coming my way I pulled out to overtake the idiot would speed up and stop me performing a safe pass.

Went past Carter Bar still stuck behind, down the winding road with brake lights on most of the way. Levelled out and with nothing coming I floored it. 69.9mph was achieved, well just over. Ok! A lot over, I got past. Looked in my mirror to see him flashing his headlights. I took no notice and carried on. Couldn't see any blue lights so no need to stop. Banana was humming along ok with no smoke or any out of place noises.

Through the Jedburgh, past Flyers watering hole at the Woollen mill. And soon we was approaching our destination at Trequair House. Although sat nav had a go at getting me to go a different way. But now on familiar ground so I knew where to go. Turned into the grounds. As I wanted to go around the house I paid the full OAP amount of £7.70. Parked up on the end outside the cafe.

I felt the emotions rising, I always promised Val that we would come back, well I was back but sadly on my own but with happy memories. If you have never been to the oldest inhabited house in Scotland then it is well worth a visit. I went in and felt an overwhelming emotion sweep over me. Glad I did it. There is now a DVDs showing in one of the lower rooms showing the history of the house. Well worth a watch.
Tre= means small village, and Quair=mean's river.

Had a lovely walk around the house and out into the side buildings. You can now stay here on holiday. There are three lodges. Walked around the brewery, never bothered with the maze at the back of the house but it looked like fun. Went into the shop and then into the brewery shop. Went into the tea shop but only had a pot of tea. Not hungry. Left soon after and headed back towards Jedburgh, and with no sat nav on.

Stopped at the Woollen Mill for another cuppa, and wee. Then back as far as the entrance to the Kielder forest. Drove in far enough to get some photo's then back out towards the hotel. Did put the sat nav back on.
When I came up on Thursday I drove past a car wash not far from the hotel. Same car wash I had used, with Richard showing me where it was, when I used to come up for the Metro-centre meets. So I headed back there to get a very grubby Banana washed. Snow foamed and once again we had a nice shiney Banana. Car wash guys were impressed with the colour, saying they had never seen one before.

Then back to the hotel. Parked up. And into the pub for a well earned pint, and a nice big steak. Washed down with more beer. After I went back to my room and fell asleep in the chair. Now awake and sitting outside the pub with a couple more beers. Going around to Richards in the morning to have my reversing switch sorted out and then off, with others, to the Gretna Green meet.

Another 170 miles covered.

onen hag oll

Last edited by FLYING BANANA; 16th July 2016 at 20:46..
Old 16th July 2016, 20:47   #19
RPWC
This is my second home

75 model car

Thanked 5,083 Times in 3,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BANANA View Post
................day, another re-visited memory ticked off of the list.

Had another cracking nights sleep. Had a smaller breakfast this morning, that way I might fancy my lunch more, well that was the plan. Following Richard's directions, and with the help of the sat nav on the iPad, I set out for Traquair House in Peebleshire.

Out on the open road, and Banana was in her element, well we was until we caught up an idiot in a Dacia Duster. At every bend in the road, he braked, even gentle bends. Then he would speed up, and brake for the slight curve in the road. Every time there was a good stretch of road, and nothing or blind summits coming my way I pulled out to overtake the idiot would speed up and stop me performing a safe pass.

Went past Carter Bar still stuck behind, down the winding road with brake lights on most of the way. Levelled out and with nothing coming I floored it. 69.9mph was achieved, well just over. Ok! A lot over, I got past. Looked in my mirror to see him flashing his headlights. I took no notice and carried on. Couldn't see any blue lights so no need to stop. Banana was humming along ok with no smoke or any out of place noises.

Through the Jedburgh, past Flyers watering hole at the Woollen mill. And soon we was approaching our destination at Trequair House. Although sat nav had a go at getting me to go a different way. But now on familiar ground so I knew where to go. Turned into the grounds. As I wanted to go around the house I paid the full OAP amount of £7.70. Parked up on the end outside the cafe.

I felt the emotions rising, I always promised Val that we would come back, well I was back but sadly on my own but with happy memories. If you have never been to the oldest inhabited house in Scotland then it is well worth a visit. I went in and felt an overwhelming emotion sweep over me. Glad I did it. There is now a DVDs showing in one of the lower rooms showing the history of the house. Well worth a watch.
Tre= means small village, and Quair=mean's river.

Had a lovely walk around the house and out into the side buildings. You can now stay here on holiday. There are three lodges. Walked around the brewery, never bothered with the maze at the back of the house but it looked like fun. Went into the shop and then into the brewery shop. Went into the tea shop but only had a pot of tea. Not hungry. Left soon after and headed back towards Jedburgh, and with no sat nav on.

Stopped at the Woollen Mill for another cuppa, and wee. Then back as far as the entrance to the Kielder forest. Drove in far enough to get some photo's then back out towards the hotel. Did put the sat nav back on.
When I came up on Thursday I drove past a car wash not far from the hotel. Same car wash I had used, with Richard showing me where it was, when I used to come up for the Metro-centre meets. So I headed back there to get a very grubby Banana washed. Snow foamed and once again we had a nice shiney Banana. Car wash guys were impressed with the colour, saying they had never seen one before.

Then back to the hotel. Parked up. And into the pub for a well earned pint, and a nice big steak. Washed down with more beer. After I went back to my room and fell asleep in the chair. Now awake and sitting outside the pub with a couple more beers. Going around to Richards in the morning to have my reversing switch sorted out and then off, with others, to the Gretna Green meet.

Another 170 miles covered.
Well that saves me getting the power washer out Bob,just need the tools,see you in the morning.
Old 17th July 2016, 10:32   #20
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

Have a great day out , while you're in Duns don't forget to visit Jim Clarks grave at the local cemetery , very understated so it's easy to miss .
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote