Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th March 2012, 23:58   #11
Scribbler.
Gets stuck in

Rover 75. Saloon. Red. V6. 2.5.

I had this late one night driving 10 miles home. Needless to say I didn't make it home. Lights were required and wipers so ... However after having the alternator replaced at far less than the £260 and battery charged all inclusive for around £170, it has been fine since. I hasten to add my recovery delivered the car to my garage and me back home. Mike.
Scribbler. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 00:48   #12
neilbaker86
Gets stuck in

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
The alternator connects directly across the battery, no fuses, just direct wire.
There is actually a fuse, it's Link 1 (150A) in the engine compartment fusebox.
neilbaker86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 08:52   #13
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilbaker86 View Post
There is actually a fuse, it's Link 1 (150A) in the engine compartment fusebox.
Thats unusual. So pulling that fuse would isolate the alternator from the rest of the system and the battery, thus preventing the alternator discharging the battery assuming it might be doing that?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 10:06   #14
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts
Default Caution, petrol models

Quote:
Thats unusual. So pulling that fuse would isolate the alternator from the rest of the system and the battery ...?
It is indeed unusual. Checking the MGR wiring diagram shows that only the petrol engines have this fusible link (the diesel appears to be conventional). Removing it may have unpredictable results such as disabling the starter motor and possibly other functions since some other fuses appear to be fed via the alternator.

I wouldn't advise that anyone removes this fusible link and attempts to start the engine since an alternator shouldn't be run with its output open circuit.

Simon.
Old 9th March 2012, 22:17   #15
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Thats unusual. So pulling that fuse would isolate the alternator from the rest of the system and the battery, thus preventing the alternator discharging the battery assuming it might be doing that?
I guess really that if you thought a diode in the alternator was leaking the battery down to earth you would simply take the cable off the alternator.

Taking out that fuse would probably stop the car.

Last edited by COLVERT; 11th March 2012 at 19:43..
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 22:20   #16
COLVERT
This is my second home

R75 Saloon.

Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David F View Post
So you don't think I should have any problems getting to the garage tomorrow, it's about 25 miles, should take 45 minutes more or less depending on traffic.
What is actually using the battery when the engine is running, I assume the fuel pumps, any lights, the ECU ( very little power I would have thought) The cooling fan ( but on a cold day and at speed it shouldn't kick in)
I really don't want to stop half way!
Don't forget. Come back and tell us how you got on.
COLVERT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 07:07   #17
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by julienhoulton View Post
My son has a 1.8 club. new battery, warning light came on, tested alternator pushing out 12.5 volts.

What I am asking is there anything in between the alternator and battery that might be disrupting the charge IE fuse etc!!.

Julien
Alternator should be putting out more than 12.5 volts. Normally that are around 14.5+ volts to overcome internal resistance of battery. That is why warning light is on as it is not really charging.
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 07:12   #18
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Quote:
It is a fuseable link, a strip of metal, it cannot be removed like a normal fuse.
rover54 is offline   Reply With Quote