Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th February 2024, 16:42   #11
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

You have the diesel model. You will have either 2 pin plug or 3. You can get an alternator regulator brush box for this. Its a classic symptom to have the light on permanently when the regulator fails. I would expect to see more voltage at tick over as its the diesel especially at start up as battery is not fully charged. You could replace the regulator brush box in situ, which will come with new regulator and brushes. There are 2 types on ebay, one for the 3 pin alternator,and one for the 2 pin alternator. Check what you have first if you decide to try this easy fix. Or failing that,get your car out of there and fit a new alternator at a reputable garage, before they do any more damage .
xsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2024, 11:44   #12
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
Hi Stephen.
Link below for bonnet opening which you will be able to see as you are a paid up subscriber.
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...d.php?t=274518

I would get them to open the bonnet and then get your car back toot sweet, from them and do not let them do anything else to it.

Does your car have a FBH if so you could try unplugging it see if the ignition light goes out.

Maybe get it to someone on here with a T4

might be worth looking at
Hi
What's the relevance of the FBH? Although not fitted, would the wiring be there, possibly shorting?

My car was just sitting in the garage yard for 2 days, so I've arranged to collect it. They won't free the bonnet or reconnect the wiring, so I shall go on Sunday to try and sort it enough to get home. Otherwise, I will get it towed.
Is there a list of T4 owners? I thought there was but can't find it.

Cheers
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2024, 12:24   #13
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by polinsteve View Post
At the bottom of SteveStrat’s posts. The nearest to you will be cb750Chris who has a diesel himself. 🙂

Simon
Old 16th February 2024, 14:00   #14
stevestrat
This is my second home

ZT260 #243 (resting)

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,358 Posts

Quote:

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
At the bottom of SteveStrat’s posts. The nearest to you will be cb750Chris who has a diesel himself. 🙂

Simon
The original list was created by Phil who hasn't been active for quite some time so the list wasn't being maintained and was by no means up to date. I created the T4 location map (link below) and I try to maintain it but, obviously, that depends on me getting the info in the first place.

T4 Location Map
stevestrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2024, 17:53   #15
Martin Butler
Loves to post

MGF1.8

how hard is it to change the brushgear. If thats the problem? can it be done in situ, or to fit another Alternator , i've got a deisel also, what is this FBH?
I;m willing to help Steve, as i'm probably the closest member to him, my health problems permitting, of course, i have a tester, that will test output, i don't have T4, but i do have a toaf downloaded on my laptop if thats any help
Martin Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2024, 23:02   #16
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

The alternator on the diesel engine is susceptible to oil contamination from any spillage when oil is poured into the engine. Not uncommon for an alternator to be rendered scrap as a result so I would have a good look for any evidence of oil contamination as a first step. A search of this and other site's for the R75 should confirm this problem.
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2024, 23:35   #17
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Hi
What's the relevance of the FBH? Although not fitted, would the wiring be there, possibly shorting?
Hi Steve.
Sometimes the FBH can throw up some strange faults, unplugging it just finds out if that is the culprit, in this case most likely not.

My car was just sitting in the garage yard for 2 days, so I've arranged to collect it. They won't free the bonnet or reconnect the wiring, so I shall go on Sunday to try and sort it enough to get home. Otherwise, I will get it towed.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Butler View Post
how hard is it to change the brushgear. If thats the problem? can it be done in situ, or to fit another Alternator , i've got a deisel also,
Quote:
what is this FBH?
Fuel Burning Heater

I;m willing to help Steve, as i'm probably the closest member to him, my health problems permitting, of course, i have a tester, that will test output, i don't have T4, but i do have a toaf downloaded on my laptop if thats any help

Martin that is kind of you to offer and i should imagine that it will help either way it can do no harm.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th February 2024, 10:55   #18
polinsteve
Gets stuck in

Collected the car this morning from where it had been left unlocked on the service road. Engine starts and runs for a few seconds but then stops. Several bits in the passenger footwell, so I assume some pipework has been removed.
I can't try to release the bonnet yet, (lever just flaps about) because I had to have the car left on a narrower bit of road, so until I can drop it back about 50' I'm stuffed. At least I've got it home.
I appreciate the offers of assistance and will see what the situation is when I've gained access.
I've got TOAF but can't get it to run on laptop or mobile. Can anyone recommend a compatible OBD2 connector?

Thanks to all.
polinsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2024, 09:58   #19
Martin Butler
Loves to post

MGF1.8

get a vag OBD Cable, undo the cover, and solder across 7 and 8 pins, i did that on mine, it works fine, What operating system are you running on laptop the newest Toaf run on later types of windows vista upwards, i', using windows 10, i don't know if Toaf will run on Android or Linux but there will be others who will tell you, no doubt,
Martin Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th February 2024, 20:18   #20
richw
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

I had TOAF working on a Mac using something called Wine. You can also use Wine on Linux (it provides the Win32 API on non-Windows systems, so Windows applications can run).

Totally agree with comment on VAG cable and pins 7+8. Easy peasy,
richw is offline   Reply With Quote