Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 11th February 2016, 12:39   #11
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts
Default We are all so lucky...

That our cars are so refined and normally quiet at road speed that we do hear those little rattles and buzzes at all.

Mind you, most of the time I find that what I thought was a new annoying rattle is something either in the glove box or on the shelf above, in the center bit by the ashtray or something in a doorpocket, or.... something on the little shelf above the light switch. That's a lot of places to check!

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th February 2016, 17:30   #12
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonMarshall View Post
Sounds like a good idea. Have you done this to your car and if you have, would it be possible for you to get some pics and explain how you did it?

Cheers!
simples, get someone else to drive while you put a little masking tape on all the spots in the car that rattle at different revs, lift the trims responsible and use the little self adhesive pads to fill the gaps, then replace the trims on the nice soft non rattle inducing pads and silence is abound...
Old 12th February 2016, 10:00   #13
GibsonMarshall

Rover 75 Tourer 1.8 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy.com View Post
simples, get someone else to drive while you put a little masking tape on all the spots in the car that rattle at different revs, lift the trims responsible and use the little self adhesive pads to fill the gaps, then replace the trims on the nice soft non rattle inducing pads and silence is abound...
Well, I can easily tell you which parts are causing the noises. It's that whole black upper part of the dashboard. Mostly the creaking appears right next to the a-pillars on both sides. I tend to get the famous BCU-rattle as well, which I'll cure soon. It's not constant however, only getting it sometimes and if I do, it goes away after 5 minutes or so. Could this have something to do with the dashboard-creaks? I've noticed that it's there especially when it's cold and the car gets warmed up. Pushing the dashboard slightly in these spots causes it to crackle as well, however it's cured temporarily when doing so (most of it, at least).
GibsonMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2016, 10:18   #14
EastPete
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Classic saloon, MGB GT, Skoda Yeti

I have put a piece of black UVPC window sealing strip pushed into the gap between the windscreen and the front (bonnet) edge of the dash. This together with a bit of round rubber strip (an O-ring cut open is good for this) pushed into the gap between the dashboard and the 'wood' trim above the clock, has cured my dashboard rattles.

Pete
EastPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2016, 15:54   #15
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonMarshall View Post
Well, I can easily tell you which parts are causing the noises. It's that whole black upper part of the dashboard. Mostly the creaking appears right next to the a-pillars on both sides. I tend to get the famous BCU-rattle as well, which I'll cure soon. It's not constant however, only getting it sometimes and if I do, it goes away after 5 minutes or so. Could this have something to do with the dashboard-creaks? I've noticed that it's there especially when it's cold and the car gets warmed up. Pushing the dashboard slightly in these spots causes it to crackle as well, however it's cured temporarily when doing so (most of it, at least).
hey I don't have any of that!! I just had the plastic facia rattles...
Old 12th February 2016, 18:47   #16
David Lawrence
This is my second home

Rover 75 CDT-2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by klarzy.com View Post
hey I don't have any of that!! I just had the plastic facia rattles...
I don't have any creaking either. In mine all the control boxes rattled. I suspect that the bcu was the he main one, that transmitted vibration to all the others, and they in turn along the brace bars to everywhere else. Stopping the bcu one, then coating the main faces of the others with silent coat got rid of all my rattles. The car is very solid and rattle free now so if there were any creaks i would certainly hear them.
David Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th February 2016, 18:58   #17
johnnyb44
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75

Mine used to rattle badly until I put some foam draught excluder along the whole length between were the dash meets the bottom of the windscreen. Just wedge it in with a long screw driver . I originally used a length of TV coax Ariel lead which also worked but changed it over the the draught excluder for a neater job.
Old 13th February 2016, 16:27   #18
batz
Avid contributor

MG ZT190 and MG ZT 160+

I have three individual rattles and traced them as follows: A heat shield has fallen onto the exhaust below the rear passenger area. The centre vents in the dash are rattling a bit and the front passenger door lock button rattles if it's not locked. Something to think about!
batz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2016, 16:59   #19
roverbarmy
This is my second home

Roverless + 1.7D Sportage

Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,449 Posts

One of my glove box hinge pins was loose. A bent piece of wire rod of the correct size to replace the dodgy pin cured it.
Old 20th February 2016, 15:11   #20
GibsonMarshall

Rover 75 Tourer 1.8 Club

I've managed to cure most of it by putting some leather type stuff into the gap in between the dashboard and the windscreen. However some of it is still there. On the passenger's side, I'am able to push the dashboard in a little, so there is some movement going on which shouldn't be there. Any ideas?

Cheers and thanks so far!
GibsonMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote