Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th May 2024, 09:57   #21
Arctic
Give to Learn

Freelander 2

Thanked 6,407 Times in 3,874 Posts

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave lincs View Post
If a supplier is selling 2012 belts and people are having them fitted without checking then I feel that they should be getting this sorted and paying for the job to be done again?
Hi Dave.
100% agree the same goes for cheap pulleys on the diesel, warranties are useless if you have to do the job again at your own cost so always best to fit the best from the start.

ad altiora tendo.

Check out our Nano meet dates
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/index.php?thepage=howto

" You do the work , we supply the expertise "
Arctic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2024, 10:16   #22
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

So obviously , the belt was removed from stock just before the roll over to 6 yrs . I now feel very sorry for others who may have bought the same. The bill for fitting ,if you cannot do this job yourself,is pretty high. Glad i bought gates from their official suppliers website. I did question the dates on the gates belt before buying , and as a gates main supplier they told me that the rotation of stock was pretty fast and was not a worry of old stock still on the shelf. This must serve as a warning for all of us , no matter where the purchase was made. 12 years before fitting is im afraid a complete joke, with no regards for the buyer ,or his vehicle ... sorry . .. The big question is .. How many others ... ?
xsport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2024, 11:15   #23
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic View Post
I wouldn't anything else but Gates, I have just purchased two sets for my Freelander 2 SD4 and TD4.

Had them on my tourer before i sold, tourer before that, and my Freelander1 TD4.

FL2 Kit.

Thanks for the post. Do you still have the belts to hand , so that others may check the date / codes .I did check mine before fitting but i dont remember the code check sequence . I appreciate that your belts are for diesel but i would imagine the check codes are the same as for petrol. It would certainly help others contemplating buying the gates belts before fitting. If you get a few moments ...
Old 17th May 2024, 11:27   #24
Matt_75
Gets stuck in

75 Saloon

I also fitted one of their belts Sept last year. I've just had a look and that is a 2012 belt too, although it's difficult to read because the markings have already worn off. The belt also already has "zebra stripes" which is concerning as the car had only done about 300 miles!

Here's a side by side of the 300 mile 2012 belt and a 31000 mile 2007 belt, they look about the same...

2001 Rover 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5 (BRG)
1999 Rover 75 Club 2.5 (Dorchester Red)
1973 Triumph Dolomite (Honeysuckle)

Last edited by Matt_75; 17th May 2024 at 11:29..
Matt_75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th May 2024, 11:51   #25
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

I think the zebra pattern is caused by the pressure on the belt reverse side due to passing over the tensioner and idle rollers. The thing is now that how many have gone out to customers having bought the single belt or indeed the full belt kit. Some of these sales are to garages as well so not just the D.I.Y motorists. The odd one could be overlooked as error , despite an out of date large label , but this issue appears now to be widespread. I think many more will surface. If the belts were bought as old stock by the supplier , that is not the way to carry out a business.Old stock is taboo with perishables, and the seller has no stock date checking system it would seem. They should not have been sold , either a few or in quantity, full stop. Regardless of how robust or long the belts were to last, its not at all fair to the buyer ,who worries about their car. Question now for you mat is what do you do now. ? ...
Old 17th May 2024, 12:19   #26
sean75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6

I've just had all the belts changed on my V6 and I certainly hope that they weren't of the vintage that the OP's were. I don't know for certain as I didn't actually see them, as although I ordered them, they were sent straight to the garage doing the work.

If the manufacturer states a shelf life of 5 years then surely these shouldn't be sold as new? For a component such as this which can have catastrophic consequences in the event of a failure , I find it deeply concerning that old stock which no longer complies with the manufacturers specification is being sold as new .
sean75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2024, 19:20   #27
sean75
Avid contributor

Rover 75 2.0 V6

All the original packaging for the belts that were fitted are labelled with May 2023 production dates , so not a concern.
sean75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2024, 20:39   #28
xsport
Posted a thing or two

rover 75 club se

Is that on the belts themselves sean, or on the packaging ..
Old 18th May 2024, 21:12   #29
Briodyjl01
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer, Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeCeeColley View Post
Just received my timing belt kit. Super quick delivery from UK to Australia and started on the job straight way. Unfortunately job is now on hold.

The reason?

The main timing belt has a manufacture date of August 2018. Yes, almost six years old.

The two small belts were manufactured in May 2023 which is okay, but installing a six year old main timing belt is just plain wrong.

Reluctant to name and shame, it is a supplier known to most on here but.........

Thoughts?

I bought a kit and not used it yet. I have found the exact same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 19th May 2024, 07:32   #30
dave lincs
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon

I need to check the one I fitted a couple of months ago, Has anyone been in touch with the supplier yet? Had a brief chat yesterday with my friend who is a solicitor he said firstly as the supplier what they would like to do to rectify the issue then go from there I also suspect very old tensioner are being used as they seem to fail in a short time

Dave
dave lincs is offline   Reply With Quote