Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th March 2018, 19:25   #21
sworks
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
With reference to recent posts reiterating the official line but providing no substantive evidence in support of it:

Do I hear the sound of leaves blowing down a deserted street?

Simon
I’ve not only seen belts snap that have gone past the change point on age but not miles but had to repair the damage, the last being a Fiat 500. Not sure what you class as substantive evidence?

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle

Last edited by sworks; 15th March 2018 at 19:47..
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th March 2018, 21:00   #22
Groundsman Willie
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 1.8t

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzublu View Post
https://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/for...play.php?f=116 Are in Devon, plus another well known garage whose name escapes me for now Rear seats not folding are a common problem, the solution can be found in the "How to" section
Lynne from Newton Abbott? rings a bell
Lynne from Newton Abbott is the eBay shop for Pitney Bowes, who are the same as Exeter Road Garage. I think......
Old 15th March 2018, 22:15   #23
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Yes, below the mileage change interval, but in excess of the time interval ... In this case, an early 190 ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
... the last being a Fiat 500.
OK, thank you. That's two cars (and one of them isn't even a 75/ZT). These cases need to be investigated carefully to make sure that another component didn't cause premature failure of the belt (but that won't be done). I seem to remember MarinaBrian posting photographs of a shredded timing belt some time ago, but when some questions were asked the claim that the belt had spontaneously broken up became increasingly unconvincing.

It's funny how the rear belts never break isn't it.

Simon
Old 16th March 2018, 05:57   #24
sworks
This is my second home

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I’ve done quite a few over the years but I can’t remember specific details as I don’t keep a log of all cars that I see? A belt snaps it does damage and you fix it, that includes looking at all other items that may have contributed. You are entitled to your opinion which is that the manufacturer adds a time limit just to make money and that’s fine when it’s your own car that you (in my opinion) are gambling with. To state to members as though it’s fact I think is a little dangerous. After over 30 years in the trade dealing with cars everyday I will stick to my own view. Im not going to be drawn into a conversation about justifying my opinion as I don’t need to but it’s not based on guesswork. I’m not saying all belts will snap after a time limit but there certainly is increased possibility.

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2018, 06:42   #25
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

I have an MGF from 1997. I bought it second, or third hand, with low mileage about 65000. It had a service book, all filled in from MG.
I drove for about 15000 km and all was fine.
One morning I wanted to start it, and it sounded dreadful.
It had stripped all the teeth of the belt on the lower pulley.

I expected all the valves to be bent too, so I did a full repair with belts, head gasekt, tensioner and water pump.

It turned out the valves were all fine, so the belt must have been really tired.
I suspect that because of the low mileage, the garage did not replace the belt, and it died of old age.

Not a KV6, which I think is better in that respect, as it has a much wider belt, but certainly an indication that age does matter. How much, is the question.

If you want to keep the car, I would change the belts as a preventative measure when an opportunity arises, but I would not stress unduly.

And, a note to MarinaBrian I have sent you a couple of emails. Suspect they might have ended in your spam folder?

I am looking for ways to check my VVC system in my newly acquired little second MGF. If you have any information, please let me know. Thanks
Old 16th March 2018, 07:47   #26
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Hi Mark and thanks for your response.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sworks View Post
I’ve done quite a few over the years but I can’t remember specific details ...
This is exactly my point. It is unsafe for you (and others) to declare with absolute conviction that a timing belt will snap spontaneously on a time basis when you don’t have the evidence to support it.
Quote:
You are entitled to your opinion which is that the manufacturer adds a time limit just to make money ...
I didn’t quite put it as crudely as that! What I said is that the manufacturer decides on an annual mileage which the average owner might cover (15,000 miles). As the belts’ expected life is 90,000 miles (actually probably more since there will be a safety margin) the manufacturer then calculates that the owner should replace them after six years on the assumption that 15,000 miles p.a. has been covered. I don’t understand why you, MarinaBrian and all the others have such difficulty with this straightforward concept.
Quote:
... that’s fine when it’s your own car that you (in my opinion) are gambling with.
According to your belief Mark, my car should have had its timing belts renewed no less than three times (in 2005, 2011 and 2017). It hasn’t and nothing untoward has happened. I’m not the only one either. You call that a gamble? If it is, the odds appear to be very much against your contrary betting strategy!
Quote:
To state to members as though it’s fact I think is a little dangerous.
It could be said that stating to members that they should pay well over £500 for unnecessary work is deceptive and irresponsible.
Quote:
Im not going to be drawn into a conversation about justifying my opinion as I don’t need to ...
Ah, the withdrawal arrives. That doesn’t show much confidence or conviction in your belief Mark!

Oh, and I note MarinaBrian’s “thanks” to you for posting the anecdotal evidence which he dismisses when it apparently comes from me!

Simon
Old 16th March 2018, 08:23   #27
aReallyNiceCar
Regular poster

Rover 75 Tourer, Connoisseur SE. Vintage Peugeot 106 XND, Sick & ill Vauxhall Astra 1.7CDi Estate

aReallyNiceCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2018, 08:55   #28
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by aReallyNiceCar View Post
There is obviously something missing in your life?
I suggest you go and get married.
Old 16th March 2018, 09:13   #29
rustymotor
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Tourer

Personally, I wouldn't delay a timing belt change. Mostly when you buy a second hand car there is often no record of belt changes. I have been lucky in the past and had the odd car with a record in the service book or even a little label stuck under the bonnet.

Often it's another component that takes the belt out which, as we all know can wreck the top end of the engine.

Time or miles change it for peace of mind, I do think belt life can be shortened if the car has been driven hard in lower gears. On my wifes honda the belt is apparently good for 100K we changed it at 65K and its just been done again full kit and water pump plus aux belts.
rustymotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th March 2018, 09:24   #30
hellofadriver75

Rover75 saloon

Default mrs heller (me)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD1too View Post
Hello Sarah,

You have raised a contentious subject here which has been debated many times on the forum. My answer to your question is no, you do not need to renew the timing belts until the engine has covered 90,000 miles. In saying that, I am putting my money where my mouth is. I am just about to change my timing belts for the first time in my car's life. It was built in 1999!

The reason that MG Rover specified the six year period is commercial. The average mileage of Rover owners was set at 15,000 miles (to equal manufacturers in competition with Rover). That's when the engine oil is changed. The life of the timing belts is 90,000 miles so it was calculated that drivers would reach this mileage after six years. Of course this is unrealistic because people's actual annual mileage varies enormously. For example, a driver who covers 10,000 miles p.a. will be safe for nine years. It is therefore the mileage which you should observe not the six year period which is meaningless.

I changed the timing belt on one of my other cars at the manufacturer's specified mileage (the time period had been exceeded). When removed it was indistinguishable from a new one. There was no sign of deterioration whatsoever.

You have the evidence, now the decision is yours.

Simon
Thanks for everyones advice and responses.....will certainly consider the timing belt replacement as I do want to keep car. brake pads done, now also to get quote on bodywork scratch one side...too.
hellofadriver75 is offline   Reply With Quote