Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd August 2017, 11:26   #21
7T5
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
Hi Richard
The awning rails on most older caravans are sealed with non setting bedding sealant that's around £3/£4 a tube or sikaflex can be used but only if you have no intention of removing as once it's on its very difficult to seperate the two surfaces

Silicone will not bond the two surfaces and will eventually (after a short length of time ) let water in

The rails can normally be resealed every 5 years with non setting bedding sealant .

I believe our vans (Adria) are sealed with a substance similar to Sikaflex or Tiger seal but you have to be careful with that as a statement because sikaflex make sealant adhesive as well as adhesive sealant two very different products.
If I were sealing an awning rail I would use non setting bedding sealant as on roof lights heater covers, aerials etc or sealant adhesive because the objective is to seal as well as stick and not stick as well as seal.
Regards
Steve
Very interesting, thanks for this. I have used silicone to repair a leak from around my rooflight. I will look to sort this now.
7T5 is offline   Reply With Quote