Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 20th February 2016, 15:59   #21
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GibsonMarshall View Post
I've managed to cure most of it by putting some leather type stuff into the gap in between the dashboard and the windscreen. However some of it is still there. On the passenger's side, I'am able to push the dashboard in a little, so there is some movement going on which shouldn't be there. Any ideas?

Cheers and thanks so far!
could always take the dash out and make sure it is re installed securely.
Old 7th March 2016, 06:20   #22
GibsonMarshall

Rover 75 Tourer 1.8 Club

Okay, I've recently fitted something in between the windscreen and the dash. It's gotten a little better but some is still left. I also noticed that it wasn't there at all after the car was fully warmed up 2 days ago. A couple of weeks ago, we managed to get up to 10 degrees and I also didn't notice any of it.

However, I think the wood trim on the passenger side (the one that says Airbag on it) is causing the noises. I can slightly move it up and down. Is this normal or not fitted correctly? It's been out once, so it's movement may cause the noises when hitting the dash a little? Not sure, really. Does yours move a little as well?

Cheers!
GibsonMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2016, 22:34   #23
milosnikolic
Loves to post

Rover 75

guys,

I think I posted the permanent solution some time ago - the creaking/cracking dashboard with the change of temperature or going over bumps is caused by inside the dash plastic welds toward A-post.
If you remove the instrument cluster and look inside towards the bottom right-hand corner of the windshield, you will see where those welds are and they cause cracking when you push the dashboard from the top. By putting something inbetween the windshield and the dash, you are just creating tension that prevents cracking for some time, but doesn't eliminate it permanently.
The solution is actually to insert some rubber inside the dash where the welds are, I used old bicycle tyre that I cut into appropriate size/shape to fit in multiple places.

No cracks/creacking/rattle more than 2 years now...

Proud owner of the best Rover 75 in Serbia
milosnikolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th March 2016, 05:55   #24
GibsonMarshall

Rover 75 Tourer 1.8 Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by milosnikolic View Post
guys,

I think I posted the permanent solution some time ago - the creaking/cracking dashboard with the change of temperature or going over bumps is caused by inside the dash plastic welds toward A-post.
If you remove the instrument cluster and look inside towards the bottom right-hand corner of the windshield, you will see where those welds are and they cause cracking when you push the dashboard from the top. By putting something inbetween the windshield and the dash, you are just creating tension that prevents cracking for some time, but doesn't eliminate it permanently.
The solution is actually to insert some rubber inside the dash where the welds are, I used old bicycle tyre that I cut into appropriate size/shape to fit in multiple places.

No cracks/creacking/rattle more than 2 years now...
Sounds good to me then! Would you mind posting some pics, where you inserted the rubber? I think it's pretty strange that it completely dissapears as soon as it gets a little warmer. (Mine does that at least).

Thank you guys for your help so far. Really appreciate it!
Old 8th March 2016, 06:23   #25
milosnikolic
Loves to post

Rover 75

Quote:
Sounds good to me then! Would you mind posting some pics, where you inserted the rubber? I think it's pretty strange that it completely dissapears as soon as it gets a little warmer. (Mine does that at least).

Thank you guys for your help so far. Really appreciate it!
http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...3&postcount=17

Old 8th March 2016, 07:00   #26
GibsonMarshall

Rover 75 Tourer 1.8 Club

Quote:
Thanks! Gonna have to try that. What do I have to remove to get to that particular spot?
Old 8th March 2016, 07:58   #27
milosnikolic
Loves to post

Rover 75

Quote:
Thanks! Gonna have to try that. What do I have to remove to get to that particular spot?
Instrument cluster on driver's side and airbag/vent on the other side.

I advise you to check all plastic welds that you can see once everything is removed.

Old 8th March 2016, 09:40   #28
GibsonMarshall

Rover 75 Tourer 1.8 Club

Quote:
Instrument cluster on driver's side and airbag/vent on the other side.

I advise you to check all plastic welds that you can see once everything is removed.
Thanks dude! However, I'am still a little concerned about the wood trim on the passenger's side that says Airbag on it. If I push it a little, I can slightly move it up and down and by pressing on it, it makes creaking noises as well. Is this normal or is mine not fitted correctly?
Old 8th March 2016, 09:44   #29
milosnikolic
Loves to post

Rover 75

Quote:
Thanks dude! However, I'am still a little concerned about the wood trim on the passenger's side that says Airbag on it. If I push it a little, I can slightly move it up and down and by pressing on it, it makes creaking noises as well. Is this normal or is mine not fitted correctly?
It's normal and it is not causing the creak you hear, so just plastic BEHIND/INSIDE the dash is causing the cracking/creaking noise, nothing else.

Of course, if you want you can spray some dry silicone spray around all all touching parts (wood/plastic)

Old 8th March 2016, 10:04   #30
GibsonMarshall

Rover 75 Tourer 1.8 Club

Quote:
It's normal and it is not causing the creak you hear, so just plastic BEHIND/INSIDE the dash is causing the cracking/creaking noise, nothing else.

Of course, if you want you can spray some dry silicone spray around all all touching parts (wood/plastic)
Yeah, I should try that too, since it's mostly 100% gone as soon as we hit 5 degrees and more.