Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 10th June 2015, 19:37   #31
itchyfeet
Loves to post

MG ZT+ CDTi

On the reservation for Windows 10, I have used same email address on multiple systems. Had no issues.
Old 10th June 2015, 19:58   #32
arodriguez
Loves to post

Rover 75 Club 1.8T SE

I'm currently using Office 2003 on Windows 8.1 and it works great. Does anybody know if Office 2003 will work with windows 10?

It's not officially approved by MS for 8.1 but that's clearly marketing nonsense to try and get me to upgrade to 365??
Old 10th June 2015, 21:39   #33
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

I'll probably upgrade some of our systems to Win10, but not all. Like an earlier poster, I use WMC and this won't be included in 10 so that's a deal-breaker for me. Mind you, I'll still be keeping at least one W2K3 box up despite having 2012 DC edition because I still backup to tape!
Sector-9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2015, 10:15   #34
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by arodriguez View Post
I'm currently using Office 2003 on Windows 8.1 and it works great. Does anybody know if Office 2003 will work with windows 10?

It's not officially approved by MS for 8.1 but that's clearly marketing nonsense to try and get me to upgrade to 365??
Likewise I also use Office 2003 (have 2010 but prefer older version) running on Windows 8.1, have read a MS article where they state if software runs on 8.1 it should run on 10, and, if it doesn't run on 8.1 the new Windows 10 is unlikely to run it either.

Hated 8.1 on my laptop (not touch screen and prefer a mouse) until I installed 'Classic Shell' now it looks, feels and operates like older versions of Windows, perhaps that won't be needed with Win 10.

chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2015, 18:35   #35
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

From what I've read, you only lose Windows Media Centre if you're upgrading to 10 from certain versions of 7, 8 and 8.1
If you currently have the basic 7, 8.0 or 8.1 'home' version, then WMC stays - or have I read it wrong?

Quote (from Microsoft Website) -
Feature Deprecation Section

• If you have Windows 7 Home Premium, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 8 Pro with Media Centre or Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Centre and you install Windows 10, Windows Media Centre will be removed.
  • Watching DVDs requires separate playback software

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2015, 09:45   #36
Vanbursta
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 V6 Conn

Well all I can say is "oh dear" to Win 10, have been using it fir a few months as an MS Technet early preview, MS is trying to standardise across all platforms and that is why there was such a problem with Windows 8 it was too radical a change for most users, Win 10 isn't any better and I can foresee many problems for MS over the coming years. People just don't want an MS OS on phones and tablets, it doesn't matter how good the os is, if people don't want it or won't accept it, it will not sell (and ultimately fail). If MS want to stay in business then why not let those who choose to do so stay with their old OS? it would be more profitable long term to charge a subscription for updates (say for XP a few pounds a month), people don't like the feeling that they are being forced to upgrade to an os they neither want nor understand.
Old 24th June 2015, 22:15   #37
pevil
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Saloon 1.8 Manual, Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanbursta View Post
Well all I can say is "oh dear" to Win 10, have been using it fir a few months as an MS Technet early preview, MS is trying to standardise across all platforms and that is why there was such a problem with Windows 8 it was too radical a change for most users, Win 10 isn't any better and I can foresee many problems for MS over the coming years. People just don't want an MS OS on phones and tablets, it doesn't matter how good the os is, if people don't want it or won't accept it, it will not sell (and ultimately fail). If MS want to stay in business then why not let those who choose to do so stay with their old OS? it would be more profitable long term to charge a subscription for updates (say for XP a few pounds a month), people don't like the feeling that they are being forced to upgrade to an os they neither want nor understand.
I totally agree, Windows 10 is "at least at the moment" a jack of all trades and master of none, it's not a true desktop operating system like Windows 7, true it works better than Windows 8 but it's not been designed for the desktop alone, I think it's a bit of a miss mash, if software vendors would include Linux in there versions, the big vendors like Adobe, Autodesk etc. MS would be up the creak!
Mods; Plenum checked-cleared and modded (spy-hole) - Leather handbrake grip fitted - Walnut gear knob fitted - C panel badges fitted - Bonnet catches greased - Stainless bolts fitted to front bumper - Digital temp gauge fitted.
pevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2015, 12:47   #38
chipsceola
This is my second home

Jaguar XF 3.0D

One week to upgrade /downloads. See post #34 I am running 8.1 with Classic Shell and that was upgraded this morning, am assured latest version compatible with Windows 10 but seems it's still best to uninstall it prior to upgrading, then reinstall if you wish to continue using Classic Shell.

While new Windows 10 uses Windows 7 style Start and interface, Classic Shell still provides more control and useful modifications. I for one will follow best practice, uninstall, upgrade then reinstall once all up and running again.

Last edited by chipsceola; 21st July 2015 at 12:50..
chipsceola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2015, 14:39   #39
guru
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT, Rover Sterling, MG ZS EV & BMW X5

I'm glad to say that build 10240 which was released to insiders about a week ago seems very stable and I'm really impressed with Windows 10 as a 'daily driver'. On my desktop in the office it works with the dual screens very well and on my convertible tablet it works in both tablet mode and when docked.
I did have a few crashed on the earlier builds but so far the latest seems to have resolved these.
Old 21st July 2015, 15:51   #40
reworht
This is my second home

Honda HR-V 1.6 i-DTEC SE Navi 5dr Diesel Hatchback

Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,497 Posts

Am I right in saying that in signing up for the free update to Windows 10, I have signed up to a download only - i.e. it will not auto install, but allow me to decide when (and if!) I want to install it?

Rodney - you plonker!
... but more commonly known as Rod !
reworht is offline   Reply With Quote