Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Closed Thread

Old 8th June 2012, 16:36   #31
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemac View Post
I think you are missing the point. Of course it is perfectly OK to discuss the original posters comments in a polite and non confrontational manner whether you agree with him or not. But your subsequent post suggests it is perfectly acceptable to ridicule, (The subjection of someone or something to mockery and derision) as opposed to constructive criticism, an ad or another post in the name of Free Speech.
No I am not missing the point.

As part of free speech to mock or ridicule could under certain circumstances can be acceptable; I refer in particular to political satire where to mock and deride somebodies political position is consider acceptable, an example is if somebodies public statements are at odds with how they conduct their private lives , however under other circumstances it might be seen as just plain rude; it is all about judgement. Part of free speech must be not only what you say, but how you say so thing, but also when you say something. It is all about understand if you are having a conversation with somebody how somebody will react if you tell them the raw truth as you see it. As I have said, sometimes it is better to think it rather than say it.

Sometimes others may object to what you are saying; that is all part of free speech, but then they have the right of reply. Free speech can at times seem dirty and offensive, but I will support 100% the right of others to disagree with me, however offensive it appears to me.

What you are suggesting is a cleaned up version of free speech where only nice thing are said, which isn't exactly free speech.
Old 8th June 2012, 16:53   #32
stevemac
This is my second home

Jaguar X Type 2.2D Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover54 View Post
What you are suggesting is a cleaned up version of free speech where only nice thing are said, which isn't exactly free speech.
Within the confines of this car enthusiasts forum that is EXACTLY what I am suggesting.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
Winnie-the-Pooh

Old 8th June 2012, 16:56   #33
seancar
Banned

75 tourer and t4

a car is worth what you can get for it i have just brought a 1.8 75 that was on this club site for 399 with headgasket gone i will say i did not pay 399 but close and i brought a mg zt off the same person i read some of the comets some club members had said on this chaps thread and they where uncalled for . i pay anywhere between 150 and 1000 pounds for these cars some are fire damaged some cat d and cat c some are moted and taxed. these cars are worth alot more money in parts as they are whole with mot and tax. if we can not buy them then we cant supply you with the parts you need to keep your cars on the road. do agree with free dome of speech but 399 for a 02 plate car with the head gasket gone is not dear. if you can do the work yourself its about 150 to get the car up and running so a 02 plate 1.8 75 with good mileage for under 600 is a good buy. please give this people a chance its hard out here now just wish them luck in selling. its a club that we should all pull together on not put peoples cars down. we have a list on the office wall of customers cars for sale we know some of them are a bit step but its not for us to say and we will try and sell them at the price they want. please lets stop all this and just wish the sellers of these cars good luck
Old 8th June 2012, 17:04   #34
rover54
Retired

rover 75 v6 Auto Conn. SE 54 plate LPG and 2006 Rover 75 v6 Auto LPG , 1.8 r75 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemac View Post
Within the confines of this car enthusiasts forum that is EXACTLY what I am suggesting.
Sorry I have to disagree with you, how can you have an honest debate if only nice things are said. We are all grown up and understand that not everybody agrees with a particular point of view. The point is to respect others opinions without letting it get personal.
Old 8th June 2012, 17:13   #35
stevemac
This is my second home

Jaguar X Type 2.2D Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover54 View Post
Sorry I have to disagree with you, how can you have an honest debate if only nice things are said. We are all grown up and understand that not everybody agrees with a particular point of view. The point is to respect others opinions without letting it get personal.
I am afraid that I differentiate honest debate, which I wholeheartedly agree with (as this is) with ridicule, which I believe has no place in this forum and more often than not is taken personally.

“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”
Winnie-the-Pooh

Closed Thread