Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 12th October 2010, 16:29   #11
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislloydie View Post
Thanks guys. I did make a temporary bracket when trying to sort the problem yesterday. Just got home and had a look and its still in place, however, the headlights were still pointing low again this morning. i can hear the lights adjust when i first turn them on, but they then point low.

The back sensor arm seems fine. Any ideas or am i gonna be facing a new sensor?
Have you jacked the car up recently....?

Sometimes if the suspension drops too far, the arm can flip the wrong way.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 16:42   #12
chrislloydie
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 135 CDTI+ Auto Royal Blue with Synergy 2. 75 Tourer cdti club Se Auto, Royal Blue, synergy 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greeners View Post
Have you jacked the car up recently....?

Sometimes if the suspension drops too far, the arm can flip the wrong way.
Yes I had the car jacked up at the weekend. Both arms are making a triangle shape pointing upwards. All ball joints move freely in their sockets.

Only thing i can think of is if the arm is fouling on the temporary bracket i made up and therefore not operating correctly.

The car recently passed its MOT with no mention of any problem with the lights. Could the garage have adjusted the under bonnet manual adjusters to correct the aim, therefore with the sensor working again, I need to adjust the aim again too?

chrislloydie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 17:07   #13
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:

Clips on the side
Does that photo not show it mounted on the wrong side of the sensors arm, where it either (depending how you set it) fouls the suspension arm or the drive shaft?

If you remember back a few weeks, I was struggling with my sensors linkage and we eventually established that Rover had fitted (at least some of them) the wrong way on the production line.

Once I had mine fitted the right way, my headlights were very low, but I was able to correct the aim which the adjusters.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 17:12   #14
chrislloydie
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT 135 CDTI+ Auto Royal Blue with Synergy 2. 75 Tourer cdti club Se Auto, Royal Blue, synergy 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
Does that photo not show it mounted on the wrong side of the sensors arm, where it either (depending how you set it) fouls the suspension arm or the drive shaft?

If you remember back a few weeks, I was struggling with my sensors linkage and we eventually established that Rover had fitted (at least some of them) the wrong way on the production line.

Once I had mine fitted the right way, my headlights were very low, but I was able to correct the aim which the adjusters.

Harry, i read through your other thread before I attempted to fix my own problem. So while I had the arm off the car I took the opportunity to reverse the way the arm was fitted as you suggested.

Maybe I just need to adjust mine with the manual adjusters then now the arm is fixed in place. I'll have to wait til its dark before I can go and adjust them and check them out.

Old 12th October 2010, 17:20   #15
Greeners

MG-ZTT

Thanked 1,249 Times in 1,036 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrislloydie View Post
Harry, i read through your other thread before I attempted to fix my own problem. So while I had the arm off the car I took the opportunity to reverse the way the arm was fitted as you suggested.

Maybe I just need to adjust mine with the manual adjusters then now the arm is fixed in place. I'll have to wait til its dark before I can go and adjust them and check them out.
Ah.....so you've already had a fiddle Chris........

In my photo, the arm is in the wrong position (flipped), it should be an inverted V.

Make sure the arms are correct, then adjust on the headlamp adjusters.
Greeners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 17:42   #16
chrislloydie
Posted a thing or two

Quote:

In my photo, the arm is in the wrong position (flipped), it should be an inverted V.

Indeed I have had a fiddle already David! Ive fashioned a temporary bracket which has stayed frimly in place so far. My sensor arms are the opposite of those in the above picture, so all is correct so far.

I'm hoping I just need to manually adjust the aim now and it should sort it. Fingers crossed.

Old 12th October 2010, 18:03   #17
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:

Hi Greeners,

No I didn't mean wrong as in V versus /\ - I meant wrong as in the 'dog bone' shaped plastic link arm needs the nut to be taken off and the balljoint plus arm transfered to the other side of the sensor arm. To put it another way - The 'dog bone' link arm in your photo is to the side nearest the front of car, it needs to be moved over to the side nearest back of the car.

Originally mine was \/ that way, scrapping the lower arm and the dog bone link becoming bent. I tried it like /\ and it would then hit the weight ring around the driveshaft. So the conclusion I arrived at was that the dog bone was fitted on the wrong side - I corrected that and my headlights were pointing at the ground.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 12th October 2010 at 18:08..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 19:47   #18
chunkybray
Avid contributor

mg zt-t

I had the same problem with my lights.After playing with the level sensors it turned out to be that the wiring loom to the lights had rubbed through on
the bodywork under the offside headlight.( Fairly common apparently).
chunkybray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2010, 20:14   #19
chrislloydie
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkybray View Post
I had the same problem with my lights.After playing with the level sensors it turned out to be that the wiring loom to the lights had rubbed through on
the bodywork under the offside headlight.( Fairly common apparently).

But did you still get the whirring noise and the lights adjusting when the wire had worn through? I still get that, they just go up and then point back down again.

Old 12th October 2010, 20:22   #20
chrislloydie
Posted a thing or two

As it was half time in the football, I thought I'd go and check the headlights. i started the car up, lights on, whirring noise from headlights, then I pulled out onto the little road where I live. The result? The headlights lit up the whole side of a house about 150 yards down the road!

I thought this was a little too much so I've now adjusted them manually so they are a little lower. Turned the engine and lights off several times and each time the lights came on at the right level. Hopefully the problem is solved.

Another question I have though, is do the hedlights self adjust EVERY time you switch them on or with every ignition cycle? Or do they only adjust when they detect a difference in the suspension height? i'm not 100% sure I could hear them adjusting everytime I turned the lights on.