Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 20th May 2010, 23:15   #1
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts
Default Key fob range.

I'm amazed at the range my key fob has to lock/unlock my 75,i paced it out today and estimate it at 60 feet

The range for the handset on my 200 Coupe has always been around 10 feet if i'm lucky.I've owned it from 7K miles and less than a year old and so i know its nothing to do with wear and deterioration on this one
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 23:29   #2
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVC-Geeza View Post
I'm amazed at the range my key fob has to lock/unlock my 75,i paced it out today and estimate it at 60 feet

The range for the handset on my 200 Coupe has always been around 10 feet if i'm lucky.I've owned it from 7K miles and less than a year old and so i know its nothing to do with wear and deterioration on this one
60 feet is that a mans 60 feet or a womans mines really hit and miss. sometimes it workes from around 15 or so feet, and sometimes it wont work when im stood next to the door. got used to it as my last car always had a rubbish range
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 23:36   #3
Clickernick
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Connie SE Tourer Triumph Street Triple R

Somtimes mine is keen and at other times I have to resort to the old 'side of the head' tecnique.

If you seem out of range, just place the fob beside your temple and activate and 'voila'
Les portes sont ouvertes!!!!

Real walnut interior. Original refurbished Forked Spokes 16” with Michelin Primacy 4 rubber, Pioneer AVH-Z9200DAB double din Wi Fi phone integration. Retrofitted twin front horns. 160 re-map. Revotec fan. Silicone intercooler hoses and ‘O ring’ replacement. Top hose thermostat. New walnut and smokestone steering wheel with cruise upgrade. Brembo Brakes. Ceramic coated rear Exhaust. L/engine mount, Hydramount, Bosch MAF. Focal Access Drivers and Focal Amp.

Last edited by Clickernick; 20th May 2010 at 23:39..
Clickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 23:40   #4
rrobson
I really should get out more.......

75 tourer cdti, MG ZS 180, nissan terrano & 1.8t rover 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clickernick View Post
Somtimes mine is keen and at other times I have to resort to the old 'side of the head' tecnique.

If you seem out of range, just place the fob beside your temple and activate and 'voila'
Les portes sont ouvertes!!!!
then what happens when you do it enough is your brain turns to mush from the radio waves
does it work down a mobile? always wanted to try but havnt got round to it yet
rrobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2010, 23:41   #5
VVC-Geeza
This is my second home

2005 Connoisseur SE 1.8 Turbo,2004 45 1.8 Connoisseur and my beloved 1998 VVC Coupe.

Thanked 1,016 Times in 739 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrobson View Post
60 feet is that a mans 60 feet or a womans mines really hit and miss. sometimes it workes from around 15 or so feet, and sometimes it wont work when im stood next to the door. got used to it as my last car always had a rubbish range
Yep at least 60 ft,i was using a womans estimate

I'll measure it accurately next time
VVC-Geeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 00:10   #6
south bank
Avid contributor

2004 Rover 75 1.8 Connoisseur SE Saloon (Pre-Facelift)

Your range is 60 feet?

That sounds about right for the average range it one press locks the car to me, so I think your estimate is spot on. A few presses and it registers one of them further away for me and if I hold it by my head I'll get half that distance again.

Unlocking the car though for me is totally different, the range is stupid. I promise it to be no exaggeration, but I can unlock mine from 80 plus yards away. That's 80 plus man sized yards, and being about as tall as Jeremy Clarkson, I don't do small steps anyway.

Myself and others have paced it in the past and it has comfortably worked from a bit more than two thirds of the way down a football pitch in the past after games.
south bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 00:50   #7
sikelsh
This is my second home

MGF

Talking of Key Fobs, we requested Ofcom come to our place of work a while back, as no one could lock or unlock there car in the car park, in fact one of the Bentleys, the chap couldnt even drive it as it was keyless entry with a start button, poor fella had to slum it in his range rover instead.

A man from Ofcom turned up with all manner of gadgetry, looked like a ghostbuster, we suspected it was something to do with some foreign ambassador that lives at the back of the car park and that MI5/6 or even 7 had some blocking device going to stop him selling secrets to the Russians.... i know stupid hehe.

Anyhow, this chap turns up switches his gadgets on and picks up a stray signal, takes him straight to this house, and it turned out to be a faulty TV sender/receiver for transmitting Sky up to his bedroom!

A bit of an anticlimax to the story, but it goes to show what can affect the range on your key fobs.

Simon
Old 21st May 2010, 05:08   #8
thomas 75 connie
This is my second home

Rover 75 launch car x2, Rover 800 Vitesse

Thanked 1,083 Times in 653 Posts

Could it be that mk2 models have a better range as when doing it on my dads car you have to nearly get in the thing before it opens
thomas 75 connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 06:02   #9
pab
Banned

MG ZT V6 190+

Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,416 Posts

there is a 'how to' on here on extending the range.
pab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2010, 06:03   #10
stocktake
Vis Whiz

Rover 75 2.5 auto Saloon

Thanked 3,056 Times in 1,621 Posts

Early cars have very poor range, later models don't suffer from this

Lost a few stones and a Gall Bladder and part of a bile duct and all of my dignity in the suppository incident
stocktake is offline   Reply With Quote