Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 4th August 2008, 20:56   #1
timandsam
Regular poster

rover 75 estate 2.0 v6 dohc

Default 2.0 v6 dohc ~ non runner purchase, breather pipes melted, and lots of other problems

hi thanks fo reading...

I need some advice please,
I have just purchased a 51 plate rover 75 as a non runner...
I hopeing to save some cash and repair her up for the family car... budget therefore a consideration too.

The car, left sitting for 3 months now wont start (never proof to me it dd start),
turn over ok...

The oil breather pipes left is melted and broken as the right and dip stick tube fitting...

thecam cover is also slightly damaged and in need for replacment.

I need to purchase replacment dip stick pipe and collar, oil breathers with collar and collecting pipes from front cam..

also need cam cover outer top and bottom and inner top front only...

first of all any ideas where to get parts?
the breakers yards seem to have helped with oil breathers but the cam cover is harder to come by..?

and more importnatly (and the reason for this thread) why and what caused it?

I know t was losing collant somewhere...

and i can see oil on the left hand side sprayed against the underside of bottomand aroudn engine bay, but that looks like the beather stopped breathing and melted.///

clearly it seems to have been run red hot....
hence pipes melting, what other damage may have been done?

the spark plus look perfect, bar 1 with a little oil deposit...
oil level fine...

no whte deposits aroudn oil filler cap...

weird?

coudl it just have been non collant for a leak somewhere?
or maybe the head gasket gone?
can that be tested at home?

and help and advice please...

thanks
timandsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 21:21   #2
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

There could be a variety of problems. You've got a bit of work to do by the sound of it. The first advice I'd offer is to buy a Haynes manual. That will greatly assist in the resuscitation of the engine (if it's possible). One factor to consider is whether the timing belts require replacing (every 6 years/90K miles). This is a very difficult DIY job and very expensive to have done professionally. If the engine has been cooked, the belts will have suffered. Another thing to check straight away is the plenum. It's possibly flooded and the ECU could be kaput. If so, that's another expense you'll not wish to think about! Coolant loss in the V6 is a common problem. It's usually due to the thermostat housing splitting apart.
Does the engine actually turn over on the starter? If so, perhaps a cylinder compression check will give some indicators.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 21:25   #3
JohnDotCom

Rover 75 FaceLift Tourer CDTi 170BHP Auto ConnSE 2005 Model Starlight Silver

I would contact last registered Keeper for more Information.

You could, and I hope not, inherited a load of problems.

Also check the plenums are clear of leaves and water or you will need another £1000 for a new ECU!

Head Gaskets are not unheard of on these either.

Really need more Information to assist, but some of the Petrol guys will be along later.
JohnDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2008, 21:53   #4
timandsam
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Cut View Post
There could be a variety of problems. You've got a bit of work to do by the sound of it. The first advice I'd offer is to buy a Haynes manual. That will greatly assist in the resuscitation of the engine (if it's possible). One factor to consider is whether the timing belts require replacing (every 6 years/90K miles). This is a very difficult DIY job and very expensive to have done professionally. If the engine has been cooked, the belts will have suffered. Another thing to check straight away is the plenum. It's possibly flooded and the ECU could be kaput. If so, that's another expense you'll not wish to think about! Coolant loss in the V6 is a common problem. It's usually due to the thermostat housing splitting apart.
Does the engine actually turn over on the starter? If so, perhaps a cylinder compression check will give some indicators.

TC
thanks for getting back to me so swifty
I'm not happy buy willing to change the head gasket if required,,, the trustee haynes gets in through most things...
done one before, lon time ago...

can i ask whats the plemun and where woudl i find the pipe....

not sure if its what your reffering too but i found a pipe in the inner driver side front wheel arch....

I did notice a mikey substance... but i think what may have been more looking and panicing than anythig else....

the belt all look 100% fine... in fact i woudl hassard guess these were changed very recently,

changing belts again just to be sure....

I did notice the inside of my partly melted cam cover where i belive the water pump is located a rust marks..... could this mean the water pump has gone?
or maybe just the o-ring...

I'm planning on wipping it out over the next few days... and replacing the o ring... just in case and if excessive play etc replacing the pump too.

any ideas on suppliers mail order? - again looking for cost costings.... where possible...

what posible damage could i expect in the engine?
as all bar 1 sprak looks ok, do you think i may be safe on the HGF worry?
Old 5th August 2008, 09:42   #5
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timandsam View Post
- - - whats the plemun and where woudl i find the pipe....
The plenum is a chamber about 6 inches wide running across the engine bulkhead under the windscreen. You can access it by removing the grilled panel on the passenger side and removing the water shield underneath.
Do a search for 'plenum' and you'll find lots of info.

Quote:
any ideas on suppliers mail order? - again looking for cost costings.... where possible...
You can get a lot of stuff on eBay. The standard MGR parts suppliers are Rimmer Brothers http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/pdf/MG%2...ccessories.pdf

and Xpart depots (countrywide).

Quote:
what posible damage could i expect in the engine?
as all bar 1 sprak looks ok, do you think i may be safe on the HGF worry?
It's impossible to tell what you may find. It sounds like the engine got a good roasting, so anything's possible. I hope you didn't pay too much for the car!

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 10:27   #6
black olive
I really should get out more.......

260 SE vin 214 ( last mark 1 260 )

my suggestion would be to flog it off on ebay and buy a runner- its going to be a money pit !!
Old 5th August 2008, 19:56   #7
Keith O
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Saloon

If you do change the belts, there is an article in two parts over July and August 2008 issues in Car Mechanics magazine giving detail on this job.

I think JDC posted this on the forum a week or two back, if my memory is working correctly.
Keith O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 21:31   #8
timandsam
Regular poster

Default going in for the belt change in my bid to fix this, question around hgf

question around the possible hgf...

i know the breather pipes melted cos the engine just got that hot...
build up in heat was down to collant leak... (but we will come back to that)

fearing the head gasket was gone... while striping down the melted pipesand inner cam cover; i drained the oil... expecting to find miky stuff.... but it wasn't, in fact the oil was perfect just as you would expect.
the top filler cap is clear too...

I'm told it was running..
but at point of purchase i culdn't get it going off a jump start (being it had a flat battery)
on the plsu side have seen threads saying these cars are picky around battery power and often dont start less than 100% charged... so there is still hope?

5 spark plugs are clear.... 1 a little oily... but this would point at piston rings..? not hgf?
I found some oil in the air inlet so i'm guessing that lttle bit of oil i found on the plug was simply sucked up and burned off?
in which case the pistons rings coudl also be fine..?

now back to the possible root casue.. the collant leak?

when removing the cam cover i noticed rust marks which i think were caused by the water pump or surranding pipes/connectors/housing?
could this be the caused of collant leak?
is this common on v6's?

your thougths?
Old 5th August 2008, 22:21   #9
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timandsam View Post
I found some oil in the air inlet...
I get that too. If you find out what causes it please let me know!
Quote:
... when removing the cam cover I noticed rust marks which I think were caused by the water pump or surrounding pipes/connectors/housing? Could this be the cause of coolant leak?
Is this common on V6s?
As TCut said:
"Coolant loss in the V6 is a common problem. It's usually due to the thermostat housing splitting apart."

Well done so far!

Simon.
Old 5th August 2008, 22:28   #10
Simon
Banned

-

Oil in the inlet manifold/throttle body is normal for the 2.0/2.6 V6's. Its a by-product of the crankcase ventilation system and unless you go to the trouble of fitting an oil-catch tank then this oil will continue to be there. It's a known cause of failed manifold butterfly valves.... but thats another story for another thread. Let's concentrate on your coolant leak
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote