Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th April 2017, 08:46   #1
ardvark
Al

75 CDTI Tourer Auto

Default Computer Stuff

My better half plays World of Warcraft on the desktop computer. Yesterday we had a notice that the game would not be supporting Vista and XP later this year.

We are looking at upgrading to Windows 8.1. I've checked and the computer we have and will manage 8.1 with no problems.

My question to members in the know is this:- Can I just install 8.1 over the top of Vista and keep everything thats on there now or is it a case of moving files and progs to a detachable hard drive to be plugged in after 8.1 is installed?
Old 6th April 2017, 09:34   #2
philm
Loves to post

rover 75 tourer

you best read this there is section about updating from vista/xp.
https://www.cnet.com/uk/how-to/how-t...ns-of-windows/
philm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 09:46   #3
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark View Post
My better half plays World of Warcraft on the desktop computer. Yesterday we had a notice that the game would not be supporting Vista and XP later this year.

We are looking at upgrading to Windows 8.1. I've checked and the computer we have and will manage 8.1 with no problems.

My question to members in the know is this:- Can I just install 8.1 over the top of Vista and keep everything thats on there now or is it a case of moving files and progs to a detachable hard drive to be plugged in after 8.1 is installed?
Firstly, you cannot move programmes to a removable hard drive and reinstall from there.

My order of preference/recommendation would be as follows:

1. Take a copy of all your data and bookmarks etc. onto a hard drive, format the hard disk, load the new windows, all drivers, firewall, de-fragment, take an image for future recovery. Then reinstall all your programmes from scratch, set-up email accounts etc.

2. Take a copy of your data and bookmarks etc. Then do an in-situ upgrade to the later version of windows.

Option 1 will always give the cleanest install of the new windows.

The reason for always taking a copy of the data is that no matter what you do, there is the risk of data being lost due to an error, crash etc.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2017, 11:26   #4
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

Don't bother with Windows 8. Either go for 7 (supported until 2023) or 10. Licences for both can be had for less than £20. I'd suggest 7 is probably the best option as it's closest in hardware requirements to Vista.

It is possible to do an in-place upgrade of Windows and keep all your programs etc, but it does mean that any minor, hidden configuration issues from Vista will be carried over into the new install.
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2017, 18:17   #5
WillyHeckaslike
This is my second home

Rovers 75 & 25

The info linked to by philm in post 2 rules out the upgrade route. After doing so it states "Windows XP and Vista users must do a clean install with a DVD copy of Windows 8.1. It is also highly recommended that you back up your files when upgrading. No Windows XP or Vista files or programs will be carried over to Windows 8.1."
WillyHeckaslike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2017, 18:27   #6
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

I would also leave 8.1 alone and use 7 or 10. I prefer win 7 64bit, if your system allows.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.

Last edited by spyder; 8th April 2017 at 21:09..
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2017, 19:44   #7
Rooney
Suspended

MG ZT 135+ Rover 75 CDTi Tourer, 75 2.5 V6 Saloon

Windows 8, and 8.1 are awful.

Windows 10 doesn't run properly on minimum spec - so bear that in mind.

If you can get your hands on windows 7 it's, imho, the best option for you
Rooney is offline   Reply With Quote