Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th May 2017, 17:44   #1
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Thanked 3,032 Times in 2,181 Posts
Default what is a good program for converting 264

what is a good program for converting files that are 264 files to mp4?

vlc will play 264 files but I'd like to convert them to mp4 so I can use vlc without messing with its configuration and other players to watch the file.
I also can use vlc to get just a minute or 2 from the video and make a new short video instead of having to keep a file that's 30 minutes long.

thanks
macafee2
macafee2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2017, 18:08   #2
Rogue
I really should get out more.......

75 CDT SE 160 Saloon

Thanked 1,096 Times in 774 Posts

https://videoconverter.wondershare.com/

Will convert most file types into most others and there is a trial version available. Output seems to be of good quality although it's not the fastest i've used.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th May 2017, 16:37   #3
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

I have ended up with a converter from http://www.tomabo.com/
slow in converting but has worked ok no issues

I then used VLC another free program to trip the video from 30 minutes down to 1 or 2

macafee2
Old 12th May 2017, 18:09   #4
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

Handbrake is my transcoder of choice. It's free.
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2017, 23:00   #5
Fifer
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE + 1947 Morris 8

I've been using "Video to Video Converter" for a few years now, and it will convert virtually all movie and sound files. It does a lot more than that though, and is completely free.

http://www.videotovideo.org/
Fifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 12:06   #6
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonwick View Post
Handbrake is my transcoder of choice. It's free.
Handbrake - nothing else. For clarification though - H264 is a video compression codec. mp4 is a file format for containing video. An mp4 file can contain audio, video, subtitles and images. The video and audio codecs used for the video and audio can vary. E.g. it's common for an mp4 file to hold H264 video and mp3 audio. Could equally use H265 or HEVC for video and AAC for audio. Decoding some video codecs often relies on the hardware itself having the capability and being licenced to do so: these licences are often paid for by the hardware manufacturer at build time. If VLC is having a problem playing videos encoded in H.264 then it's probably having to decode in software rather than hardware (or it's been setup that way) and the CPU isn't up to the job. There are various levels of H.264 compression as well (to further complicate the matter) - I suggest to download Handbrake and read the help files/Wiki and forums for further info.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 16:22   #7
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avulon View Post
Handbrake - nothing else. For clarification though - H264 is a video compression codec. mp4 is a file format for containing video. An mp4 file can contain audio, video, subtitles and images. The video and audio codecs used for the video and audio can vary. E.g. it's common for an mp4 file to hold H264 video and mp3 audio. Could equally use H265 or HEVC for video and AAC for audio. Decoding some video codecs often relies on the hardware itself having the capability and being licenced to do so: these licences are often paid for by the hardware manufacturer at build time. If VLC is having a problem playing videos encoded in H.264 then it's probably having to decode in software rather than hardware (or it's been setup that way) and the CPU isn't up to the job. There are various levels of H.264 compression as well (to further complicate the matter) - I suggest to download Handbrake and read the help files/Wiki and forums for further info.
a search on the web and vlc can be set up to play 264 files but I don't think without resetting it back to standard configuration it can play mp4 files.

the programme I found hs worked well bt very slow. I have managed to trim 30 minute 264 files down to a couple of minutes mp4 files.

Thank goodness for the internet but I feel the manufacturer of the system that has given me 264 files needs to include a decent converter. Not force me to turn to the internet for help

mavafee2
Old 14th May 2017, 16:53   #8
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macafee2 View Post
a search on the web and vlc can be set up to play 264 files but I don't think without resetting it back to standard configuration it can play mp4 files.

the programme I found hs worked well bt very slow. I have managed to trim 30 minute 264 files down to a couple of minutes mp4 files.

Thank goodness for the internet but I feel the manufacturer of the system that has given me 264 files needs to include a decent converter. Not force me to turn to the internet for help

mavafee2
Having no idea of the source of your '264' files it's difficult to help further, as stated H.264 is a video encoding not a filetype. If you mean you have some files with the name e.g. somevideo.264 then you'd best ask the supplier what the fileformat and video encoding actually is. If it's some sort of CCTV then they've probably used a standard encoding method but a proprietary file format so that it can only be played on their software (unless you know how it can be unpacked and reprocessed: which is difficult).

Quote:
I have managed to trim 30 minute 264 files down to a couple of minutes mp4 files.
Not sure what you mean by this? you have 30 minute long '264' files? you have some 30 minute long video files of type '264'? What do you mean 'trim ... down to a couple of minutes'? are you trying to edit the video? (in which case you need a video editor - not a transcoder.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button

Last edited by Avulon; 14th May 2017 at 16:56..
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2017, 16:56   #9
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

VLC can play both H.264 and mp4 (though note the difference as Avulon explained above) out of the box.

H.264 is a widely used and standardised codec (MPEG-4 Part 10), so why should the manufacturer need to provide a converter? mp4 is definied as MPEG-4 Part 14 for comparison....
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2017, 09:27   #10
macafee2
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

vlc will not play 264 files in its standard set up, it needs to be configured. Once configured I could not get to to play mp4 files.
the manufacturers of my system that creates the 264 file did have something to convert the files to mp4 but it would fail from time to time. sharing 264 files is one thing, other people being able to play them is another

my 264 files were video and 30 minutes long, I only needed one or two minutes from the video and vlc allowed me to make th change and create a second but much shorter file just covering the time I required

I can now convert, play and shorten the video files

macafee2