Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd March 2017, 18:56   #31
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Think I was a bit weary when I posted that last one. Meant Stickman. Going to order a replacement brush kit and take regulator off again Saturday. At least I'll know the braid is ok and not make do. I'll also change the old battery terminal connectors and check the ground (if I can find it). If none of that works I'm going shout 'flip' this and go to the garage.

Unless of course accessing and checking that wiring loom is easy peasy.
boink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2017, 11:11   #32
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

So I ordered replacement brushes from DMGRS which arrived in time for the weekend. Took regulator off and sure enough my attempt at first fix was knackered. Solder in brush hadn't held. Drilled the old copper wire out and fitted new brush, put it all back together. Made sure all connections were tight and swapped battery for one I had fully charged.

No battery light and its working again. Felt like dancing down the street. Thanks again for help from everyone on here. If I'd taken local garage advice I'd have been around £300 worse off and not developed my terrible skills in soldering!
Old 31st March 2017, 16:44   #33
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

So the battery light and charging fault messages have gone..but the problem hasn't. Have changed over batteries 3 times this week after it ran down. With engine running lights and fan on it managed about 15 mins before cutting out. Battery flat.

Just bought some ramps and going to take the undertray off tomorrow to check alternator to starter lead connections for dampness. Couldn't get at them without ramps previously. Starting to think the belt could be the culprit, or the tensioner as there is a bit of a swooshing noise from the belt. Any particular signs to look out for or tips when assessing tightness of serpentine belt?

Going into garage Weds if the weekend doesn't bring me some luck.
Old 8th April 2017, 11:17   #34
boink
Avid contributor

Rover 75 Tourer

Well had to go for an OEM alternator + bet, supplied and fitted by a decent local garage for £301 in the end. 3 year guarantee on a brand called fohrenbuhl. The belt does seem a lot tighter and the 'swooshy' noise has gone so this may well have been the issue. I'll never knw but I'm glad to have a reliable car again. Ta for helpful ideas from everyone.