Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 22nd May 2017, 16:01   #1
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

Default Magneti Marelli

Anybody fitted any MM pumps to their diesel? I've bought and fitted the ITP and UBP and am hoping being branded items they might be better quality than the unmarked junk flooding ebay.
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:20   #2
mh007
This is my second home

MG ZT260 SE, MG ZT190+, MG ZTT 160, R75 Conn SE 2.0, R75 Conn SE 2.5 X 3, R75 Club SE 1.8, P5B Coupe

Yes, I've fitted a few (ITP & UBP) without any comebacks.
mh007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:21   #3
Heddy
This is my second home

None

Thanked 1,161 Times in 924 Posts

Haven't fitted MM but keen to know if the UBP is quiet. I've had to change the UBP fitted when I bought the car because it whined. I'm using a used Pierburg at the moment, can't hear it at all
Heddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 16:29   #4
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

I've not ever fitted one myself, however the proof is in the pudding, and often the only way of really knowing is when it's plugged into a T4 machine measuring fuel pressure I found a lot of aftermarket pumps don't produce correct pressure & only T I automotive which is available from Rimmers and Pierburg if you can get one as Rimmers seem to supply TI automotive pumps, funny enough I had this conversation with Brian a short while ago, before he got a temporary rest period from the forum
Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2017, 20:12   #5
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heddy View Post
Haven't fitted MM but keen to know if the UBP is quiet. I've had to change the UBP fitted when I bought the car because it whined. I'm using a used Pierburg at the moment, can't hear it at all
It's definitely noisier than the Pierburg it replaced. Not that it bothers me as with the engine running it's hardly noticeable, but what worries me (and what happened on the last two no-name pumps from ebay) is that fuel will leak through the multiplug connector and into the wiring loom. If the connector stays dry then I don't care if it's louder in operation or not.
Old 22nd May 2017, 20:58   #6
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickyboy View Post
...often the only way of really knowing is when it's plugged into a T4 machine measuring fuel pressure I found a lot of aftermarket pumps don't produce correct pressure...
You made me paranoid so I went out with TOAF and recorded fuel pressures on the repaired car and the spare one. The spare has a Pierburg pump and recorded approx 3.68bar at idle, the repaired one has a Magneti Marelli pump and recorded approx 3.55 bar at idle. Both are comfortably over that needed for starting, though I suspect the Pierburg pump would cope better at high engine loads (the MM pump pressure dropped to around 3.42bar when the engine was revved in neutral - I didn't test this on the Pierburg). Of course, the difference could be caused by other factors than just the pump as they are two different cars and with different fuel maps.

I did originally try just the new UBP as I didn't relish replacing the ITP again, but it didn't seem able to prime itself so I had to swap the ITP. Also I noticed that if I unplugged the Pierburg UBP wiring whilst the engine was running, it would stop almost immediately. On the MM pump, it seems to idle for several seconds before finally cutting out which makes me wonder if fuel from the ITP is able to flow through it, which might also explain the lower pressure if the pumping element isn't as well sealed as the Pierburg one?
Old 23rd May 2017, 09:13   #7
Sprinter
Posted a thing or two

Jag S-Type 4.2 V8

I picked up a MM UBP a couple of years ago when mine started to get noisy.

No problems so far and regards MM as a decent brand. (kept the noisy one as an emergency spare)
Old 23rd May 2017, 10:09   #8
ceedy
This is my second home

All Trophy Blue ,ZT260#50 , ZT CDTI Auto, ZR105+ and 1.8T Firefrost spoiling the Set .

Thanked 1,214 Times in 768 Posts

Had a marelli under bonnet pump in for about 6 months so far with no problems

C.
Wifey's Zr105, MY CDTI & 260 #50 and
Number One sons 1.8T in Firefrost
When I were a lad
Zero to 142 in 10.25 secs at the Pod on my Blown Norton.
210 Kart Champ in 70's

ceedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 11:11   #9
Mickyboy
SERVICING AND DEALER DIAGNOSTICS

MG ZT CDTI 135 + & MGZT CDTI AUTO 160 & ROVER 75 TOURER CDTI 160 TROPHY YELLOW

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector-9 View Post
You made me paranoid so I went out with TOAF and recorded fuel pressures on the repaired car and the spare one. The spare has a Pierburg pump and recorded approx 3.68bar at idle, the repaired one has a Magneti Marelli pump and recorded approx 3.55 bar at idle. Both are comfortably over that needed for starting, though I suspect the Pierburg pump would cope better at high engine loads (the MM pump pressure dropped to around 3.42bar when the engine was revved in neutral - I didn't test this on the Pierburg). Of course, the difference could be caused by other factors than just the pump as they are two different cars and with different fuel maps.

I did originally try just the new UBP as I didn't relish replacing the ITP again, but it didn't seem able to prime itself so I had to swap the ITP. Also I noticed that if I unplugged the Pierburg UBP wiring whilst the engine was running, it would stop almost immediately. On the MM pump, it seems to idle for several seconds before finally cutting out which makes me wonder if fuel from the ITP is able to flow through it, which might also explain the lower pressure if the pumping element isn't as well sealed as the Pierburg one?
Hi there mate having looked at the measurements you have got 3.55 bar is fairly low really a good pump like Peterburg or TI automotive should produce over 3.8 to 4 bar

There are other factors to take into consideration like the one-way valve on the pierburg valve located underneath the under bonnet pump, or slight kinkage in the cross pipe in the saddle tank for example

However saying all that 3.55 bar will be okay For everyday running. And at around 3000rpm probably drop to about 3.1 bar

Mick
Jobs done : new UBP, Spy hole mod, Rear hub(wheel bearing),plenum cleaned and emptied, Inline thermostat fitted,Full service, In car Digital tv/DVD Bluetooth Satnav etc, Replaced UBP, Restored headlights,Fixed airbag connection.replaced HP pump,replaced rear light seals,changed intercooler O rings.

Jobs to do: ,replace drivers lock,.
[/SIZE]
Mickyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2017, 13:19   #10
FrenchMike
This is my second home

Rover 75 Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sector-9 View Post

for info,my genuine Pierburg gives 3.55 bars at idle (via TOAF)
FrenchMike is offline   Reply With Quote