Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > I.C.E. Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st February 2010, 11:15   #1
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Default Interior Modification Question (Phone Holder / Power Source)

In my current car I have 2 dash mounted phone holders, one for my GPS and one for my phone. The GPS is powered from the cigarette lighter, and the cable goes through the dash and out where the airbag would be if Proton weren't so tight. Ideally the phone will be on the windscreen on the far right, and the wire would go into a box of tricks and through the whole in the dash you can already see.

For the car i'm hoping to get (75 or ZT) i'd like to do something similar - but the more OEM the better. I've seen lots of phone holders for sale, but i'd like to see how they look installed.

Also, the 75's manual says you shouldn't use the cigarette lighter to power anything - I was ideally looking to put a lot of load on this for a project. Is this just marketing, or is it actually not a good idea?
Jakg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 11:19   #2
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Oh and d'oh.

The GPS is a 3.5" Navigo - same size as a cheap TomTom,

The phone is a T-Mobile G1 (HTC Dream).

Both can be charged via Mini-USB.
Old 21st February 2010, 11:25   #3
calibrax
Posted a thing or two

BMW 4 Series

Had no problems using the cigar socket for charging my TomTom and my BlackBerry. You can fit an auxiliary socket in the cubby box between the front seats, but unless you are running things which draw a high current (hoovers etc) you shouldn't need to.

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 160 (sadly now gone!)
2015 BMW 435d GranCoupe XDrive
calibrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 11:27   #4
Phil1
Regular poster

MGZT135+ Poseidon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
In my current car I have 2 dash mounted phone holders, one for my GPS and one for my phone. The GPS is powered from the cigarette lighter, and the cable goes through the dash and out where the airbag would be if Proton weren't so tight. Ideally the phone will be on the windscreen on the far right, and the wire would go into a box of tricks and through the whole in the dash you can already see.

For the car i'm hoping to get (75 or ZT) i'd like to do something similar - but the more OEM the better. I've seen lots of phone holders for sale, but i'd like to see how they look installed.

Also, the 75's manual says you shouldn't use the cigarette lighter to power anything - I was ideally looking to put a lot of load on this for a project. Is this just marketing, or is it actually not a good idea?

The cigar lighter socket is ok for low power things such as chargers or GPS devices, but the main problem being its directly in line with the gear lever so some people have problems with that if you get a longish plug to put in it. If you are looking to put a lot of load on it, then your always better fitting a larger cable directly back to the battery with a switched relay from a low power source such as the wiring to the cigar lighter. That way it will only come on with the ignition, but will draw its power directly from the battery, much like you would with a amplifier. If you're wanting a hands free system for your mobile phone, generally Bluetooth is the way forward these days. The standard Nokia kit is very good (I can't remember if you can use it with non-nokia phones, but bluetooth is generally an industry standard.)

Phil1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 11:30   #5
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Bluetooth would be good, but thats an add in project for the the thing I need the high power source for.

Phone holder wise I dont need the cup holders so dont mind if I Lose them.

I've seen this - link - is this the official one thats £5 from XPart?
Old 21st February 2010, 13:38   #6
ceb
Loves to post

Rover 75 Saloon V6 2.5 Club SE Auto 2001 (X)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakg View Post
Bluetooth would be good, but thats an add in project for the the thing I need the high power source for.

Phone holder wise I dont need the cup holders so dont mind if I Lose them.

I've seen this - link - is this the official one thats £5 from XPart?

This is an OEM one with a Nokia mount, it's currently on for 2.49 so may be worth a put just to see if it's what you expect/want, auctions finishes shortly though

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_500wt_1182

ceb
ceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2010, 13:53   #7
Jakg
This is my second home

N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceb View Post
This is an OEM one with a Nokia mount, it's currently on for 2.49 so may be worth a put just to see if it's what you expect/want, auctions finishes shortly though

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...#ht_500wt_1182

ceb
Looks good - but I dont have a car yet to put it in and wont until Tuesday (at the earliest) so am resisting the urge in case I dont get a 75.

Also not sure what phone mount I could use :S