Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th February 2024, 12:51   #1
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

R 75 Tourer diesel Conny 2002, V6 Conny saloon petrol 2003

Default Beware of headlining glue

I want to change the headlining in my Tourer as one of the previous owners has stuck up a fair imitation of an army blanket. However, on approaching my local well respected coach trimmer, he tells me that the glue they all use has been changed by the manufacturer, so in certain circumstances - either heat or frost - it falls off. As a consequence he has declined the job. (Yes I know I could pin it but I really don't want to pursue this route)
Has anyone else come across this problem?
Old 26th February 2024, 18:21   #2
ScreamingLordStokes

Rover 75 Saloon

I think Rover must've used that glue in the factory!
Seriously, headlining, seat back cloth, and door trim cloth all seem to start coming away eventually - it seems like the curse of the MG Rover era cars. First sign is usually little crumbs of the orange coloured glue falling onto the carpet!
I've tried re-gluing the cloth on the back of the rear seats in my 75 using a craft fabric glue bought off Amazon. It's quite runny and you could easily get it all over the place if not careful. I found it best to apply it with a spreader made of cardboard.
Whether it would work for headlining is another matter.
ScreamingLordStokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2024, 19:12   #3
rab60bit
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Saloon & Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingLordStokes View Post
Seriously, headlining, seat back cloth, and door trim cloth all seem to start coming away eventually - it seems like the curse of the MG Rover era cars. First sign is usually little crumbs of the orange coloured glue falling onto the carpet!
I've tried re-gluing the cloth on the back of the rear seats in my 75 using a craft fabric glue bought off Amazon. It's quite runny and you could easily get it all over the place if not careful. I found it best to apply it with a spreader made of cardboard.
I might be the glue (it should be sprayable by the way) but it's more likely due to the fabric foam backing that has broken down with age. If you look at the old stuff the foam is brittle (usually altered colour to an orange/yellow - originally it would have been an off-white/ivory shade) ) and the cells have parted and crumbled. I can appreciate your trimmer friend saying the current glue has been changed, same problem with the old reliable/reputable Hammerite paint, blame the green lobby and EU regulatory body for that.....it's better but err not!
rab60bit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2024, 19:37   #4
daveo138
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Tourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingLordStokes View Post
I don’t think it’s a problem peculiar to Rover group cars. I believe many cars of a similar age suffer from sagging headlining.
daveo138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th February 2024, 19:46   #5
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by rab60bit View Post
I might be the glue (it should be sprayable by the way) but it's more likely due to the fabric foam backing that has broken down with age. If you look at the old stuff the foam is brittle (usually altered colour to an orange/yellow - originally it would have been an off-white/ivory shade) ) and the cells have parted and crumbled. I can appreciate your trimmer friend saying the current glue has been changed, same problem with the old reliable/reputable Hammerite paint, blame the green lobby and EU regulatory body for that.....it's better but err not!
My coach trimmer agrees it is the foam only a few mm thick that breaks down but they've tried scraping the board and sticking the headlining on but the glue they all use has on occasion broken down, but as they have refurbished everything from Bentleys down they're not prepared to take on more headlining jobs.
Old 27th February 2024, 08:20   #6
Nantwich 75
Loves to post

Rover 75 Tourer

I have wondered whether instead of foam felt might be an alternative.
Nantwich 75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2024, 09:59   #7
MGR South Devon
Premium Trader

ROVER 75 TOURER

I think they just don't want the job as it is so time consuming, and the customer would never want to pay for the hours involved. We do the occasional one in our own workshop, and it takes two of my mechanics a full mornings work, removing old head lining, scraping old glue off and cleaning and then relining. We use a spray glue for attaching the new head lining. We keep getting asked by our own customers if we can do theirs, but are declining at the moment as we simply do not have the workplace hours spare to do them. Also, finding the right colour headlining is not easy. We are currently exploring this and hopefully might have found an answer. We suggest that it would be easier and cheaper to perhaps do this job yourself. It is easy to take out the headlining and then clean it up at your leisure. You will need a handled scraper to get all the original glue off before you clean the liner before attaching the new lining cloth. Not a job for the feint hearted and also best done in the summer when the weather is dryer and warmer.
Old 27th February 2024, 11:52   #8
Vossy
Why? ...

MG ZT+ Cdti Auto saloon.

My son has done a few headling jobs similar to our cars, BMW's seem to have a similar problem on older models.

He pulls off the old fabric (headlining out of the car) and uses a polisher with a circular wire brush, it doesn't go as fast as an angle grinder so much safer. it makes a hell of a mess and you need to wear face protection and a mask.

Following that he wipes down with IPA and if it's bad, acetone. This leaves a clean surface that the glue will adhere to. He uses upholsterers spray contact adhesive. Not a job he enjoys, as the hardest part is removing and refitting the head lining.

I just need him to do mine now
Vossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2024, 12:30   #9
MissMoppet
Posted a thing or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGR South Devon View Post
I think they just don't want the job as it is so time consuming, and the customer would never want to pay for the hours involved.

Maybe, don't blame them - said they've done R75 Saloons before but means taking a window out, a Tourer is less demanding. Wouldn't give me a formal quote but said it might be around £700.
Old 2nd March 2024, 21:08   #10
jackgilroy

MG ZT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGR South Devon View Post
I think they just don't want the job as it is so time consuming, and the customer would never want to pay for the hours involved. We do the occasional one in our own workshop, and it takes two of my mechanics a full mornings work, removing old head lining, scraping old glue off and cleaning and then relining. We use a spray glue for attaching the new head lining. We keep getting asked by our own customers if we can do theirs, but are declining at the moment as we simply do not have the workplace hours spare to do them. Also, finding the right colour headlining is not easy. We are currently exploring this and hopefully might have found an answer. We suggest that it would be easier and cheaper to perhaps do this job yourself. It is easy to take out the headlining and then clean it up at your leisure. You will need a handled scraper to get all the original glue off before you clean the liner before attaching the new lining cloth. Not a job for the feint hearted and also best done in the summer when the weather is dryer and warmer.
I've been trying to find the correct colour match to the MG ZT , it seems impossible. Can I ask where you get your cloth from and colour?
jackgilroy is offline   Reply With Quote