Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 7th November 2010, 16:39   #1
Howie666
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 190+, Trophy Blue

Question Colours

As the nights are drawing in my thoughts have turned to paint. Specifically Trophy Blue (my colour!)
I love the Monogram colours - Jim's Poseidon, the Spectre I saw recently, so I have a question.
Is there a Monogram colour that includes Trophy Blue as one of the colours it changes to in the light? I've been thinking about getting The Raptor resprayed but I love the colour she is now and I love the colour change Monograms too. My paint shop guy said I'd devalue the car by changing the colour, but as we have decided to keep her we're not concerned about that - we just want her to look special!
Any and all advice or opinions gratefully received and appreciated!
Toodles
Howie666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 16:56   #2
Duotone
This is my second home

The Monogram colours close to Trophy Blue are Typhoon and Twilight

To have a re-spray would be very expensive.

Dave T

Last edited by Duotone; 7th November 2010 at 17:37..
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 17:23   #3
simonej
Avid contributor

ZT-T 190

A decent respray is £3000+ and won't add much value to the car. Of course, that's irrelevant if the car is your pride and joy and is definitely a keeper!
simonej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 18:22   #4
Howie666

MG ZT 190+, Trophy Blue

Does anyone know what colours the two that Dave pictured above change to? I'm thinking the chromactive is the key word in describing the colour changing properties... You're right about the value Simon, but as you say The Raptor is our pride and joy and most definitely a keeper!
Toodles
Old 7th November 2010, 19:11   #5
simonej
Avid contributor

ZT-T 190

Just a thought, but if you do go for a respray you're obviously not limited to MG colours alone. The reason I say that is just that I get the impression the MG Rover paints aren't the toughest available - you only have to look at my Trophy Blue and it chips! Maybe something to look into anyway?
simonej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2010, 20:07   #6
steve white
Regular poster

ZT260 Saloon, TF160

Mine is Twilight, which changes through light blue, dark blue, purple, mauve and olive green.

A same colour respray on the bonnet and bumper of my TF (Bittersweet) left little change from £1.5k with 3/4 of the cost being materials i.e. the paint, so I would say you need to double or treble Simon's estimation for a change colour respray for a complete car. The chromatic paints used by MG were certainly not cheap.

If you go ahead I would consider having the vulnerable bits of the car wrapped with vinyl or paint protection film afterwards. I regret not having this done on the TF which is now in need of its 3rd front bumper respray in 5 years but will get the ZT done when the front bumper eventually receives its much needed respray.

Its also worth checking out other manufacturers of flip paints as some are considerably cheaper then the DuPont paints used by MG, Rage for example. Really depends if you want to stick with OEM colours.
2004 ZT260 #183 in monogram Twilight
2005 TF160 in monogram Bittersweet
steve white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 00:30   #7
Howie666

MG ZT 190+, Trophy Blue

Many thanks for the thoughts and comments thus far folks. I am aware that we'd be spending way more than the value of the car, but we're looking (a) for special and (b) we're keeping her! On that note I shall look into the alternatives to the MGR paints as you suggest. I have noticed that my beloved's Trophy Blue is fragile, though still my favourite shade of blue!
Worst case scenario we get a respray in the same colour again to give the old girl a fresh look (along with the refurbed alloys etc!) But I do love those chromactive colours!
Toodles
Old 8th November 2010, 00:53   #8
trikey
Premium Trader

Rover 75

Thanked 14,831 Times in 8,030 Posts

Chromactive paints cost a fortune, better to get a blue very close to yours, then you won't have to do a full (bare shell) respray.
Old 8th November 2010, 17:34   #9
AURORA MG
Banned

(EX)-ZT-T190SE in Aurora.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonej View Post
Just a thought, but if you do go for a respray you're obviously not limited to MG colours alone. The reason I say that is just that I get the impression the MG Rover paints aren't the toughest available - you only have to look at my Trophy Blue and it chips! Maybe something to look into anyway?
Probably not the paint but the amount put on the car. MGRover paint was/is better than many!!

I recon around £4000 to do a monogram colour in chromeactive.

Last edited by AURORA MG; 8th November 2010 at 17:37..
AURORA MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2010, 17:59   #10
Typhoon190
This is my second home

MG ZT-T 190 Monogram Typhoon

Worth getting in contact with this seller on ebay. I appreciate not the most inviting avenue, but I recently bought a spray can of Typhoon to do some bullitt mirror caps. I'm sure that any members that have seen them in the flesh can give you an idea of the match. At the time they quoted Typhoon at £115 per litre, which is less than a quarter of the original price I believe.

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Nu-Agane-Ca...4.c0.m14&_vc=1

Steve Cleenz ( detailer ) bought some for his Typhoon ZS and was also pleased with it.

http://forums.xpowerforums.com/showthread.php?t=52690

Ben
Typhoon190 is offline   Reply With Quote