Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 26th April 2011, 18:25   #1
Starman
Posted a thing or two

03 CDTi Tourer Conn SE auto

Default Decat and EGR bypass advice please.

Good evening all.

I'd like to fit an EGR bypass but the one I was looking for, "superflow" from eBay seems to be unlisted now. I've seen some others but want to know if you can still put the engine cover on properly, which the super flow one stated you could...
So Id like to ask any of you that have fitted a bypass from whoever/wherever, if your engine cover fits same or not please.

Secondly a decat. My local garages so far have refused to undertake this job quoting the legalities etc. Even a friend of mine who runs his own tyre and exhaust shop has said no due to same! Have you any tips or know of anyone willing to do this kind of work in the Shrewsbury area please and possible cost these days.

Many thanks in advance. Steve.
Old 26th April 2011, 18:36   #2
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Interesting to see what replies you get. I thought it was OK to take a cat off a diesel, as long as it passed MOT. Took one off my T5 VW 1.9 after blowing the turbo, lots of extra power, a lot smoother and lighter on fuel.

I bypassed the EGR on my tourer by taking the guts out and lpuging the holes-still looks original. Car seems better without it & is smoother, but as it was dirty ???. Took about 3 hours -lots of posts on it.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 19:43   #3
Number 6
This is my second home

Rover 75 tourer Club CD/Limo Tints

Thanked 1,609 Times in 869 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman View Post
Good evening all.

I'd like to fit an EGR bypass but the one I was looking for, "superflow" from eBay seems to be unlisted now. I've seen some others but want to know if you can still put the engine cover on properly, which the super flow one stated you could...
So Id like to ask any of you that have fitted a bypass from whoever/wherever, if your engine cover fits same or not please.

Secondly a decat. My local garages so far have refused to undertake this job quoting the legalities etc. Even a friend of mine who runs his own tyre and exhaust shop has said no due to same! Have you any tips or know of anyone willing to do this kind of work in the Shrewsbury area please and possible cost these days.

Many thanks in advance. Steve.
Have fitted a EGR by-pass and the top engine cover fits no probs as for a de-cat try these people

Unique Exhausts, Stafford.

Phone 01785215111 and ask for Phil.

Rgds
Dont know if its to far for you ,will do it while you wait
regards
John

"I started out with nothing, and Ive still got most of it left!"
Number 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 19:47   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

I cannot think that any of the EGR bypasses would interfer with the cover going back on, because all of the bodies will be the same basic shape on the the outside anyway and the body is well clear of the cover.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 19:52   #5
gazzati
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

Mines like this one......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-Fre...item3a643cd6e2

And the cover still fits fine. Try Demon tweeks, or a powerflow exhaust maker, as these will make you a decat for around £70
And a car should go through an MOT without a CAT as they don't have an emissions test, it's more a smoke test, although open for debate, an MOT tester is well within his right to fail the car as you have removed the CAT and it was a standard item on the car when manufactured. They rarely do, but can

Gaz

Last edited by gazzati; 26th April 2011 at 19:54..
gazzati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 20:06   #6
Starman
Posted a thing or two

Thanks for the help and advice guys, that's just the info I needed.
I shall give Phil a call as I'm often over Stafford John, many thanks.

Gaz, a very good point you have there. I shall ask the garage I get to do my MOT to see if they would pass it or not. Knowing them, I doubt it

Hmmm... All the best plans eh!

As for the bypass again many thanks. Looks like I can take me choice from a few.

Really appreciate your help chaps. Thanks. Steve.
Old 26th April 2011, 20:28   #7
mark_bonsai
I really should get out more.......

Rover 75 CDT Saloon

Done both jobs on mine, and well worth doing.

The EGR bypass will have no effect on the engine cover what so ever.

I had my CAT removed at a local Powerflow place, and it's been through two MOT's since with no problems.
Re-mapped. EGR bypass. De-catted. 18" Apex's. ZT190 brakes & suspension. Xenon projectors. Powerfold bullets. Electric rear sun blind. Auto dipping rear view mirror. Wood and leather steering wheel. Wood handbrake handle. Full leather sports seats. Harman Kardon speakers & sub. Navall 2 double din through 500w Kenwood amp. Fully chromed front grill.
mark_bonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 20:49   #8
Starman
Posted a thing or two

Hi Mark. Thats reassuring news. Did they let you keep the CAT so it could be put back on if the need ever arises?

I know I'm just being nervous/ cautious.

Cheers again.....Steve.
Old 26th April 2011, 20:52   #9
gazzati
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T

As I said (not to put you off doing it) they CAN fail, but rarely will. If you wanted to go down the discreet route, just knock the insides out of your cat that is on the car

Gary

gazzati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2011, 21:12   #10
soapy
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDTi Contemporary Diesel Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazzati View Post
Mines like this one......

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Land-Rover-Fre...item3a643cd6e2

And the cover still fits fine. Try Demon tweeks, or a powerflow exhaust maker, as these will make you a decat for around £70
And a car should go through an MOT without a CAT as they don't have an emissions test, it's more a smoke test, although open for debate, an MOT tester is well within his right to fail the car as you have removed the CAT and it was a standard item on the car when manufactured. They rarely do, but can

Gaz
Thats the one i just bought Gaz glad it went on ok.

Joseph Stalin.
soapy is offline   Reply With Quote