Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 16th August 2016, 21:23   #1
Groundhog
Posted a thing or two

Citroen C5 Aircross

Default Thinking of selling my Rover

As per title,

I am thinking about selling my car and buying a Land Rover Freelander, Can anyone give me some feedback on reliability or running costs and parts.

I will be looking to buy 2003 - 2007 diesel.

Last edited by Groundhog; 16th August 2016 at 21:43..
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 08:52   #2
pinebob
Posted a thing or two

rover75 cdt

hi mate,bought a 2002 freelander td4 diesel earlier this year and i am really pleased with it,you know i assume that it has the same engine as your 75cdi so fuel consumption is pretty much the same,i average 32-35mpg but mine is auto so a bit heaver on juice than the manual,things to look out for apparently are prop shaft and door window motors,trikey and debs picked mine up for me from north allerton bless them,trikes removed prop shaft for me as i have no intention of going of road and winters in east lincs do not get so bad and with it removed you eliminate any probs and get a few more mpg,any other things that need attention are the same on any 10-15yr old car.make sure you get one with full serv history and has been looked after well,anyway good luck hope you get a nice one.
Old 17th August 2016, 11:44   #3
Groundhog
Posted a thing or two

Citroen C5 Aircross

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinebob View Post
hi mate,bought a 2002 freelander td4 diesel earlier this year and i am really pleased with it,you know i assume that it has the same engine as your 75cdi so fuel consumption is pretty much the same,i average 32-35mpg but mine is auto so a bit heaver on juice than the manual,things to look out for apparently are prop shaft and door window motors,trikey and debs picked mine up for me from north allerton bless them,trikes removed prop shaft for me as i have no intention of going of road and winters in east lincs do not get so bad and with it removed you eliminate any probs and get a few more mpg,any other things that need attention are the same on any 10-15yr old car.make sure you get one with full serv history and has been looked after well,anyway good luck hope you get a nice one.
Hi Robert

Thanks for the reply, having the same engine as the Rover is one of the reasons I fancy the Freelander. The other reason is ease of access, I am finding it harder to get in and out of the 75.

The down side was permanent four wheel drive but as you say removing the prop would solve that issue. The next issue is whether to stay with manual or try auto

Thanks again Robert
Old 17th August 2016, 12:10   #4
pinebob
Posted a thing or two

rover75 cdt

hi ray,got mine for the exact same reasons,my knees are playing up so i find it much easier to get in and out and being that much higher driving position its great,my personal opinion is that the engine is bullet proof and the jatco auto box is the same if looked after so for me it was a no brainer,lovely comfortable ride and only a few mpg lost.
Old 17th August 2016, 18:39   #5
Borg Warner
I really should get out more.......

None

On my fourth Freelander have had 3 diesels, 2 auto's and a manual and now have a V6. Great cars, however the diesels are very underpowered, especially with an auto box.

Problems? Well every car has problems. The 4wd drive comprises of a Viscous Coupling Unit, VCU and Intermediate Reduction Drive, IRD. Failure of the former will lead to a catastrophic failure of the latter resulting in a repair bill probably exceeding the value of the car. To avoid this it is imperative that all four tyres are the same, mis-match of the front and rears is what causes the VCU to fail, so if you view one check carefully it is all complete and the tyres are the same with the same amount of tread. Also if the owner says they have removed the prop' because they want to improve the fuel economy and it is in the garage ready to be re-fitted walk away. The often quoted fuel economy excuse is usually that, besides why buy a thirsty 4x4 only to save a miniscule amount on fuel?

Window mechs fail but are an easy fix.

Sun roofs fail and are an expensive fix, a lot of owners remove the fuse. I use mine on a regular basis.

Water in the boot. The seal in the plastic trim above the rear door fails, fairly easy fix but tricky - seal it with seam seal.

Rear diff' mounts can fail - think mine has, as far as I can see an easy(ish) fix.

Petrol tank cradle corrodes, again mine has. New ones available for less than £100 and a doable replacement at home as far as I can tell.

The coolant system also includes the the IRD. There is a heat exchanger attached which has mild steel feed and return pipes. They corrode (well that's a surprise). New exchangers are available, do not be tempted to by-pass it. See above.

There are sublte differences with the V6 engine in the Freelander and that in the ZT and 75. Engine cover houses the air filter and pipework to the throttle body is not the same, also the stat is different - opens later, the fans come on later too. Something to do with US emissions I believe???

Boot is small, but great with the seats down. It has a useful cubbybox which houses the jack and anything else you may need (including water - see above).

To sum up; as with any car do your homework before you buy. Don't bother with either the 1.8s or diesels, go for a V6. Who cares you only get 20/gal around town and 25/gal on a run, you can't take it with you. Comfortable on a long run too. Google LandyZone for some useful additional information. Check out the Anything Goes section, it is what it says on the can. You do have to register though.

Last edited by Borg Warner; 17th August 2016 at 18:44..
Borg Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 20:22   #6
pinebob
Posted a thing or two

rover75 cdt

i have a diesel auto and it is not under powered as far as i can see,trikey and debs picked it up for me from north allerton and trikey commented on how nippy it was.
Old 17th August 2016, 23:01   #7
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
On my fourth Freelander
Nah, they're rubbish - stick with the 75 ...... they last longer

.....Joke Alert

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 10:16   #8
Groundhog
Posted a thing or two

Citroen C5 Aircross

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borg Warner View Post
On my fourth Freelander have had 3 diesels, 2 auto's and a manual and now have a V6. Great cars, however the diesels are very underpowered, especially with an auto box.

Problems? Well every car has problems. The 4wd drive comprises of a Viscous Coupling Unit, VCU and Intermediate Reduction Drive, IRD. Failure of the former will lead to a catastrophic failure of the latter resulting in a repair bill probably exceeding the value of the car. To avoid this it is imperative that all four tyres are the same, mis-match of the front and rears is what causes the VCU to fail, so if you view one check carefully it is all complete and the tyres are the same with the same amount of tread. Also if the owner says they have removed the prop' because they want to improve the fuel economy and it is in the garage ready to be re-fitted walk away. The often quoted fuel economy excuse is usually that, besides why buy a thirsty 4x4 only to save a miniscule amount on fuel?

Window mechs fail but are an easy fix.

Sun roofs fail and are an expensive fix, a lot of owners remove the fuse. I use mine on a regular basis.

Water in the boot. The seal in the plastic trim above the rear door fails, fairly easy fix but tricky - seal it with seam seal.

Rear diff' mounts can fail - think mine has, as far as I can see an easy(ish) fix.

Petrol tank cradle corrodes, again mine has. New ones available for less than £100 and a doable replacement at home as far as I can tell.

The coolant system also includes the the IRD. There is a heat exchanger attached which has mild steel feed and return pipes. They corrode (well that's a surprise). New exchangers are available, do not be tempted to by-pass it. See above.

There are sublte differences with the V6 engine in the Freelander and that in the ZT and 75. Engine cover houses the air filter and pipework to the throttle body is not the same, also the stat is different - opens later, the fans come on later too. Something to do with US emissions I believe???

Boot is small, but great with the seats down. It has a useful cubbybox which houses the jack and anything else you may need (including water - see above).

To sum up; as with any car do your homework before you buy. Don't bother with either the 1.8s or diesels, go for a V6. Who cares you only get 20/gal around town and 25/gal on a run, you can't take it with you. Comfortable on a long run too. Google LandyZone for some useful additional information. Check out the Anything Goes section, it is what it says on the can. You do have to register though.
Thanks for the in depth report

I have had diesels for the last 25 years and would not change to petrol, but I appreciate all the other tips you suggest
Old 18th August 2016, 16:39   #9
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
Thanks for the in depth report

I have had diesels for the last 25 years and would not change to petrol, but I appreciate all the other tips you suggest
Well I'm recommissioning Chris's Freelander Ray and getting shot of her 75 diesel.

Her car is 17 years old, and after standing for five years, it fired up like it had been to the shops.

The TD4 is prone to the same things as the 75 in terms of clutch etc, but the driving position gives a commanding view of the road.

If test driving a car, reverse it in a tight turn, if it feels like the handbrake is on....walk away, this is a sign of a seized viscous coupling, leading in short order to IRD failure.

Similarly avoid cars which have the propshaft removed, as this is often done to disguise IRD problems.

They are a pleasant drive, slightly underpowered, but nonetheless a slightly better built car than the 75, you won't spend your time reattaching the trim parts that fall off at regular intervals, for instance

Economy wise, you will be in 75 diesel auto figures for consumption, and if hammered you will be into mid to high 20s.......something to bear in mind

Finally door lock actuators are the same as the 75, so see if they all work.

If you spot anything you fancy, give e a shout and I'll tag along.......I have the Landrover disc in the T4 at the minute in any case

Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 18:55   #10
Groundhog
Posted a thing or two

Citroen C5 Aircross

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinabrian View Post
Well I'm recommissioning Chris's Freelander Ray and getting shot of her 75 diesel.

Her car is 17 years old, and after standing for five years, it fired up like it had been to the shops.

The TD4 is prone to the same things as the 75 in terms of clutch etc, but the driving position gives a commanding view of the road.

If test driving a car, reverse it in a tight turn, if it feels like the handbrake is on....walk away, this is a sign of a seized viscous coupling, leading in short order to IRD failure.

Similarly avoid cars which have the propshaft removed, as this is often done to disguise IRD problems.

They are a pleasant drive, slightly underpowered, but nonetheless a slightly better built car than the 75, you won't spend your time reattaching the trim parts that fall off at regular intervals, for instance

Economy wise, you will be in 75 diesel auto figures for consumption, and if hammered you will be into mid to high 20s.......something to bear in mind

Finally door lock actuators are the same as the 75, so see if they all work.

If you spot anything you fancy, give e a shout and I'll tag along.......I have the Landrover disc in the T4 at the minute in any case

Brian
Hi Brian

I think the time has come to seriously look for a good used Freelander (If there is such a thing )

I'm thinking of an auto for a change but if I get the chance of a manual I'll settle for that. Not really bothered about the spec ie basic to SE. I have been looking on ebay at a few (Garage Sales) they are quite high mileage

I spotted a decent one near York it is an auto with cloth interior 84.000 miles on the clock. But it has 15 inch alloys and when I put the reg into Kwik fit tyres it comes back with 16 or 17 inch . So do you think the 15s are 1.8 petrol.

If I do see anything I will give you a call to give it an experts once over