Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 17th July 2016, 20:34   #1
myfirstrover
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 2.0 cdi

Default Fan on my pc running very fast

What would cause the fan on my PC to run really fast ? not doing anything out of the ordinary , can I check the running temp of my pc components ? I'm on Windows 10
myfirstrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016, 21:00   #2
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Connoisseur SE 1.8 Auto Saloon

Speedfan is the best temperature monitoring utility I've come across.

Difficult to say what's causing it. On my HP Laptop the fan is directly and hard coded to processor load, so whenever it's doing computationally intensive tasks, it sounds like a hoover regardless of temperature and there's nothing I can do.

On the other hand, it could simply be a case of the fan/heatsink getting dusty or coming away from the CPU, and so having to work harder to dissipate the heat.
mbonwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016, 21:07   #3
Dallas
This is my second home

1979 Capri 1.6L, 1982 Capri 1.6L, 2016 Dacia Stepway

Thanked 3,397 Times in 2,218 Posts

If you are finding your CPU running near 100%, and your fan sounds like a hovercraft. The problem is due to your fan will be drenched in dust, all the fins will be thick with dust and not cooling any of the components correctly. This then makes your CPU get hot, which triggers your fan to work faster to try and cool it down, but it cant due to the clogged fins.

All you need to do is remove your PC towers casing, just acouple of screws, you will see the fan quite easily. Just suck-out all the dust using a hoover, the dust restricts all components, the excess heat can seriously do damage.

Problem solved.

... or unless you have a virus, but you will have other symptoms in that were the case.

Last edited by Dallas; 17th July 2016 at 21:23..
Dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016, 21:28   #4
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas View Post
If you are finding your CPU running near 100%, and your fan sounds like a hovercraft. The problem is due to your fan will be drenched in dust, all the fins will be thick with dust and not cooling any of the components correctly. This then makes your CPU get hot, which triggers your fan to work faster to try and cool it down, but it cant due to the clogged fins.

All you need to do is remove your PC towers casing, just acouple of screws, you will see the fan quite easily. Just suck-out all the dust using a hoover, the dust restricts all components, the excess heat can seriously do damage.

Problem solved.

... or unless you have a virus, but you will have other symptoms in that were the case.
+1 for this too, and if you feel confident, remove the fan altogether (make sure you have removed the power cord and allowed the led to discharge). Then vacuum out the dust within the cooling fins, be gentle. Put the vacuum around the exhaust of the power supply fan whilst you have the vacuum out too, wont do any harm to do this too.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016, 21:55   #5
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

Personally I'd never put a hoover anywhere near the insides of a computer. They generate loads of static - ideal for frazzling electronic components.
I'd recommend buying a can of compressed air (air duster) and blowing it out, Much safer.

I'd also warn against removing the fan just to clean it - it can lead to problems reseating it, and usually needs the application of new thermal paste. Much better cleaned in-situ, unless you think the heatsink contact is poor, in which case it needs to come off anyway!
Old 17th July 2016, 22:16   #6
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbonwick View Post
Personally I'd never put a hoover anywhere near the insides of a computer. They generate loads of static - ideal for frazzling electronic components.
I'd recommend buying a can of compressed air (air duster) and blowing it out, Much safer.

I'd also warn against removing the fan just to clean it - it can lead to problems reseating it, and usually needs the application of new thermal paste. Much better cleaned in-situ, unless you think the heatsink contact is poor, in which case it needs to come off anyway!
I have always done this, as the gunk would get between the fins, and my OCD didnt let me leave the grime on the back of the fan lol.

I would totally agree about the static though, but I have never had an issue.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2016, 22:33   #7
mbonwick
Gets stuck in

I've never had a problem getting gunk out from between the fins, but that's probably because I try and do it every 2-3 months so it doesn't build up. The fact I like big cases (so room to get the air nozzles in at different angles) and only have stock heatsinks (with shorter fins) probably also helps.
Old 18th July 2016, 07:14   #8
RogerHeinz57
I really should get out more.......

A Reasonably Priced Car

Thanked 1,064 Times in 712 Posts

I have noticed sometimes when plugging in usb driven devices into either of the front ports, the fan inside the computer goes absolutely nuts. Sounds like the whole thing is about to take off and taxi away to somewhere else. This is accompanied by very slow responses to mouse/keyboard commands.
I have no ideas on what this is, but Phil T-4 is over for breakfast in the morning and he may well be able to diagnose or condemn the thing, or just fix it for me.

As Quincy Jones said "He's The Dude"

Cheers, JohnH.
RogerHeinz57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2016, 22:22   #9
Ennine
Posted a thing or two

Ford

I have cleaned out hundreds of cooling fans over the years. vacuum nozzle and a soft bristle brush. You don't need to get the nozzle too close just disturb the dust gently with the brush. Desktops suffer a lot from this but laptops are great little collectors of dust and dirt.

Nige

How to: Replace touch screen Navall II

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Ennine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2016, 08:26   #10
MSS
This is my second home

Rover 75CDT, Jaguar XF-S 3.0V6, V'xhall Omega V6 Estate, Twintop 1.8VVT, Astra Estate and Corsa 1.2

Some very helpful advice anf good points above.

I always use the hover but wear an earthing wrist-strap and hold the very ends of the bristles of the brush so as to effectively remove static build-up.

PC's should be cleaned out every year - just like servicing a car.

Personally, I also remove the cooler, clean and reseat using new, high-quality thermal compound e.g. Arctic Cooling MX4.
MSS is offline   Reply With Quote