Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 25th September 2016, 09:25   #11
SD1too
Doesn't do things by halves

Rover 75 2.5 Connoisseur Auto (1999) Dealer launch model.

Thanked 3,749 Times in 3,181 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustBeGettingOld View Post
After a miserable trip to get my tyres replaced - I was informed that the rear subframe was crooked ...Any thoughts?
Yes Steve, says who, and what's the evidence? If you have uneven tyre wear then get your car on a Hunter 4 wheel alignment machine and identify the errors. Some are adjustable, others may point to suspension components such as bushes or ball joints requiring renewal. Don't just accept a tyre fitter's comment!
Quote:
... or the screaming from the a/c compressor.
Have you checked the drivebelt tension? That's usually the reason for screaming noises.
As you have a diesel, next look at the crankshaft pulley. When it fails, the noise is only produced with the extra load presented by the compressor.
Or are you talking about the 'whooping' noise from the air conditioning which we read about?

This is nothing to panic about Steve, honestly. Or are you preparing the ground to get rid of the car anyway?

Simon
Old 25th September 2016, 16:24   #12
MustBeGettingOld
Avid contributor

Oldie but goodie

It might well be the apparently famous whooping noise, these things are a bit subjective. Is there a link? The noise only occurs with the compressor on, the ac seems to work perfectly otherwise, although my mechanical sympathy won't let me run it for long. The tyre fitter used some calipers to show the difference betwwen the gap between the body and tyre on each side. Approx 12mm, which struck me as significant. Tyres wear out at an appalling rate, mostly at the edge. Around 6000miles seems to do the trick

Will take the car in to get the (really quiite worrying now) knocking from the front sorted out. After that, we'll see. But if anyone has a pointer to a CDT manual with a bit of life left, I might well be interested. Tourer preferred, but saloon with good spec considered. NB. Must have working door locks!
MustBeGettingOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2016, 16:52   #13
Jules
This is my second home

ZT 260 SE Twilight and 10 other 75 ZT's :O

Thanked 1,116 Times in 763 Posts

Swap the whole frame assy over.
Plenty good ones about which haven't lived up in the highlands or inland.

Contrary to belief most coastal cars are in better nick underneath corrosion wise due to less road salt used in winters.

For example here in North Wales the coastal temps very very rarely go below +5C as the sea keeps us warm.
Local council don't salt our roads unless temps go below 5C

My own tourer has 200k on and still very respectable underneath !!

There's a local car dealer here who for some reason buys all his stock from Scotland.
Most of them resemble a colander underneath so we don't tent to send folk there who wish to purchase a non Rover !!

Good luck with what you decide

Newbies do now!!
1. Plenum drains..all 3 or 4 year dependent
2. Cooling fan..All speeds functioning
3. Bonnet cable divider block
Jules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2016, 16:54   #14
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts

Without looking i would say its unlikely to be the rear subframe, more like the trailing arm or suspension arms.
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2016, 15:20   #15
TomRS
Posted a thing or two

Mk1 ZT 190 - Mk2 ZS 180 - Mercedes E63 AMG S - Ford Ranger Hawk

If you pm me your number there is an auto ztt CDTi for £500 on the Facebook page it's in Leeds.
TomRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2016, 15:42   #16
Avulon
This is my second home

1.8t Tourer

Thanked 1,148 Times in 916 Posts

Quote:
It might well be the apparently famous whooping noise, these things are a bit subjective. Is there a link? The noise only occurs with the compressor on, the ac seems to work perfectly otherwise, although my mechanical sympathy won't let me run it for long. The tyre fitter used some calipers to show the difference betwwen the gap between the body and tyre on each side. Approx 12mm, which struck me as significant. Tyres wear out at an appalling rate, mostly at the edge. Around 6000miles seems to do the trick

Will take the car in to get the (really quiite worrying now) knocking from the front sorted out. After that, we'll see. But if anyone has a pointer to a CDT manual with a bit of life left, I might well be interested. Tourer preferred, but saloon with good spec considered. NB. Must have working door locks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
Without looking i would say its unlikely to be the rear subframe, more like the trailing arm or suspension arms.

Equally possible is that the suspension spring has snapped off near the end like they usually do. You won't be able to see with the wheel on, as they break at the bottom in the spring cup on the arm.

Where?:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tanelorn
Mods/Retrofits:

PCV vortex 'filter'; bluetooth; inline thermostat; reversing sensors; plenum spyhole ; headlamp washers ; Diy mp3 player replacing CD multichanger; FBH with remote; Headlamp washers; black/chrome front grille, rear blind; Xenon projectors
To do:
puddle lights; 2 Din cd/nav to fit; boot release button
Avulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th September 2016, 17:35   #17
Dawn
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

Mine has had two rear broken springs before I got it! Its worth someone who knows looking for you - my car is out of track and scrubs rear tyres. I asked a tyre place that did 4 wheel tracking to sort it, and was told "No thanks, its too much trouble, just keep putting tyres on it!"

WHAT!!!??? This is the kind of thing you get from people that don't know the cars and can't be bothered. That's why I'm collecting parts and then going to Trikey to sort my suspension.
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th September 2016, 17:34   #18
MustBeGettingOld
Avid contributor

Oldie but goodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitts View Post
Mine has had two rear broken springs before I got it! Its worth someone who knows looking for you - my car is out of track and scrubs rear tyres. I asked a tyre place that did 4 wheel tracking to sort it, and was told "No thanks, its too much trouble, just keep putting tyres on it!"

WHAT!!!??? This is the kind of thing you get from people that don't know the cars and can't be bothered. That's why I'm collecting parts and then going to Trikey to sort my suspension.
Yeah, whatever mate. Have a nice day.
MustBeGettingOld is offline   Reply With Quote