Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 24th September 2016, 20:41   #1
MustBeGettingOld
Avid contributor

Oldie but goodie

Default Thinking the unthinkable

After a miserable trip to get my tyres replaced - I was informed that the rear subframe was crooked, and I could swear the faint knocking from the front left was getting more insistant - it's more or less the end of the road for my lovely blue tourer. But how to replace him? These cars are getting too old for my weekly 500mile commute, but I can honestly say this is easily the most satisfying car I've ever owned. I don't have much money, so what are the options? Find a less-used version and keep my fingers crossed (there's a lovely wedgie with a dodgy clutch on ebay)or go for what i see as the only alternative for comfy cruising, an old Merc. They're big, and a manual will be well-nigh impossible to find, but at least the manufacturer still exists. I bet the owners club isn't a patch on this one though. Any thoughts?
MustBeGettingOld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 20:46   #2
spyder
This is my second home

75 CDT Auto Tourer , Rover 45 , Astra, Zaffira, Chev Captiva

Fix it, better the devil you know sometimes, depends on the rest of the car really.
Chrome skull caps, EGR cleaned (original housing), Mondeo lower mounting, 12V outlets in the armrest and tourer boot, cat fixed, working FBH, Lidl plenum covers, DD with reverse camera.New speakesr/Tweeters with MDF rings. wood dash, Memory leather seats, wooden finished steering and handbrake, Xenon headlights.
spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 20:53   #3
MustBeGettingOld
Avid contributor

Oldie but goodie

The rest of the car has a list too long to detail, but nothing that stops it running, just continual irritation, like only being able to unlock the passenger side doors, or the screaming from the a/c compressor. It's just a bit shagged really, which is a huge pity. Seems that the trouble with diesel engines is they outlive the car they're fitted to.
Old 24th September 2016, 20:53   #4
Plezier
I really should get out more.......

Mercedes C Class CDI estate (2003)

Speak to someone like Trikey, Bigruss and Philt4 and see what they say about a subframe replacement .

At least you will better informed as to the options then .
Old 24th September 2016, 20:54   #5
barney bear
This is my second home

rover 75 Connoiseur diesel called Rosey

Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,424 Posts

Rear subframes are easy to find and it's not a bad job swapping them over, I think Holland314 on here has one for sale at the minute. I did my rear subframe on the drive lying on my back so they really are not a difficult job. You are unlikely to find another car like these for a 500 mile commute, unless you spend big bucks but if your spending that much you may as well fix your car
Old 24th September 2016, 20:56   #6
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

Trikey is replacing my subframe once I get all the other bits I want doing. New subframes are NLA, but I got one and I believe they have one more left if you want the address/phone number? It cost me £144 including 48 hour delivery.
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th September 2016, 21:04   #7
MustBeGettingOld
Avid contributor

Oldie but goodie

Thanks Kitts, will sleep on it but it still seems to me that I can spend a grand and get a car with a straight subframe, working locks and a few thousand miles left in it. If it wasn't for the mileage I'd consider a V6. After looking at a string of Mercs with mileages over 300,000 I think that options off the table at least!
Old 25th September 2016, 07:56   #8
Plezier

Mercedes C Class CDI estate (2003)

Well I know mine has few toys being a lowly Classic SE but it did have just under 84,000 on the clock when I acquired her. OK she was a non runner..................... drowned ECU whcih Marinabrian fixed.

Her paint is a bit marked from building sites..............bricklayer was the previous owner, and she needs an interior valet however she cost £200 to buy. A neighbour transporter her home for £40 on his truck. So the total cost is:-

£200 Purchase price
£40 transport home
£127 ECU repair includign shipping
£18.49 O/S lower arm bush
£30 to have it fitted
£42 MOT
£40 key programming
£15 new blade and case
£50 A/C service
£49.25 Front discs and pads
£14.00 replacement steering wheel ...due to wear/damage
£80 ... new tow bar wiring supplied and fitted.
£80 ..set of Crowns with good tyres
£5.95 front pads wear sensor

£791.89

I still want to do the handbrake compensator and have the auto box serviced.

Some things I could have saved money on by not doing them but the car is beign prepared for a specific reason like the front brakes still had life in them but as we will be towing the knowledge that they are new is reasurring. This goes for the autobox service as well.

You can find a good runner with decent mileage .
Old 25th September 2016, 08:53   #9
Dawn

MG ZT 180+ auto

Thanked 1,128 Times in 504 Posts

What about getting the nearest expert to you on here look your own over and give you a price to fix it up before you make any choices? Then you'd know for sure if you'd done the right thing or not getting rid? I have found local garages to me don't know what they're doing with these cars even for simple things, and tend to either make things worse, or give you a bigger bill than you actually should have!
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2016, 09:18   #10
Parker
This is my second home

Jaguar XJ 3.0 V6 Auto (X350) & Hyundai Tuscon 2020

You are right in these cars are starting to age as daily runners, but many are still used each and every day with few issues, if any. The challenge is looking for a good one, yes they are cheap to buy, but these were a luxury car in their day so as I always say, you may get a beautiful looking car for £500 or so with no rust, but you will need to budget upwards of £1,000 in some cases to get that cheap buy up to top spec.

Merc may still be around, as for the 75 or ZT they spares market and technical support is still very much alive, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited by Parker; 25th September 2016 at 10:47..
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote