Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 15th April 2011, 19:25   #1
Phil-T4
I really should get out more.......

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Thanked 1,088 Times in 657 Posts
Smile i've been having a play with a MC ipk....

I quite fancied having the message centre ipk in my newly acquired tourer and manged to pick up a german one in KMH for a tenner.

Although i have a T4 i planned to try and get it installed without using it, having read all the problems using a s/h unit and backup mileage readings in the ews and lsm, my first action was to dump the eeprom from my old unit and copy it onto the s/h unit, the standard instruments needed the eeprom removing from the board before it could be read but the "new" ipk could be accessed with it still attached

Plugged it all in and everything appeared to work straight away without any T4 intervention .......But the foreign clocks didn't have the front fog light indication led so there was no way of knowing if they were on or not, not good, so removed it to have another play...

During this play time the ribbon cable tore itself from the board, why oh why didn't they have an adhesive layer between the cable and board to stop this!!!

Anyway, after 2 or maybe 3 hours it was soldered back on, taped down and ****** well glued into place and yes it still works perfectly

Being a bit of a "geek" i had a look at the eeprom dumps and started to work out what gets stored where and also what they do e.g. kmh or mph, diesel or petrol, service indicators and timers, zcs codes, the last 8 characters of the vin, language code etc etc

At this point i gave in and hooked up the T4 to see what was going on, it wasn't very happy with the KMB and refused to update it but whilst i was there i switched on the "front fog warning" option in the ZCS codes.

Went and had another play and ended up with a bit of a hybrid eeprom, some original and some changed by me, this time the T4 was very happy with it and the front fog light symbol now shows on the LCD display

Just hope my ribbon cable repair holds out!!
Phil-T4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 20:01   #2
dissy1810
Posted a thing or two

mgzt 160 1.8 lpg

most of your description went way over my head but well done for getting a second hand unit to work. is there not a way you could reprogram some used clocks so the t4 or ecu think they are new ones?
dissy1810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 20:42   #3
Phil-T4

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

I did try that but without a "virgin" dump it was very much a guessing game on what to change, i had to hybrid my eeprom as even with my oldest T4 disk it didnt like the "ecu ident 01" on my old kmb, its now got one it does like 04 and also has the correct YAC part number for a mph with trip cluster.

If i thought there was a market for it, i would buy a new one, dump it and try it on s/h units.
Old 15th April 2011, 20:49   #4
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

While you were messing with it - Did you happen to spot any reason for the faulty lines which sometimes appear in the display?

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th April 2011, 20:57   #5
Phil-T4

MG ZT-T, Rover 75 Tourer

Ha ha yes Harry i did, its the ribbon cable from the lcd screen to the circuit board, where its soldered to the board is very very fragile and tears easily as its not held down, this is why it took almost 3 hours to repair as once you have it soldered and checked, there are lines down the screen, resolder, check, the lines have gone but appear somewhere else that was ok before! It was a bit of a nightmare but got there in the end!
Old 15th April 2011, 22:16   #6
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil-T4 View Post
Ha ha yes Harry i did, its the ribbon cable from the lcd screen to the circuit board, where its soldered to the board is very very fragile and tears easily as its not held down, this is why it took almost 3 hours to repair as once you have it soldered and checked, there are lines down the screen, resolder, check, the lines have gone but appear somewhere else that was ok before! It was a bit of a nightmare but got there in the end!
Thanks! At least we know the cause now. Mine starts up with the odd line, but it goes as it warms up.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

Old 15th April 2011, 22:30   #7
CMWI
Loves to post

Monogram Atmosphere Kinetic ZT 180 Sport Auto

Lines like this or just vertical lines?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo-3.jpg (119.1 KB, 219 views)
Old 17th April 2011, 16:53   #8
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMWI View Post
Lines like this or just vertical lines?
I would suggest they are faulty segments in the display.

Old 20th August 2013, 13:11   #9
Geoff130
Loves to post

MG ZT 190, Rover 75 CDTi, Honda VFR 750, Honda CB550F

I know things have moved on since this thread was started. Has anyone found the information on the eeprom dumps, I have the clean one off the forum and two diesels at about 125,000 & 320,000 miles. I even have the Vin number for the lower one. I am going to do a bit of trial and error myself so I'm planning to fit a zif socket to an old IPK as my programmer doesn't do in circuit programming. I'd just like to be able to set one up without the T4, there don't seem to be many around Derby.
Geoff130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2013, 17:06   #10
marinabrian

MG ZT

Thanked 10,837 Times in 5,718 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff130 View Post
I know things have moved on since this thread was started. Has anyone found the information on the eeprom dumps, I have the clean one off the forum and two diesels at about 125,000 & 320,000 miles. I even have the Vin number for the lower one. I am going to do a bit of trial and error myself so I'm planning to fit a zif socket to an old IPK as my programmer doesn't do in circuit programming. I'd just like to be able to set one up without the T4, there don't seem to be many around Derby.
Hi Geoff, if you are going from a lowline to a message centre IPK, there are two bytes that need altering to enable the message centre display.
I can't remember off the top of my head which ones they are, but they can be changed quite easily using a hex editor and the eeprom rewritten.
The highline IPK does however support ICSP though
HTH
Brian
marinabrian is offline   Reply With Quote