Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 6th January 2010, 01:20   #21
Scribbler.
Gets stuck in

Rover 75. Saloon. Red. V6. 2.5.

:lol: Good to hear you're having my old engine Wiltshire 75, means it goes to a genuine enthusiast and you're close enough to sabotage me had I lied about it's history. (yes members I did say we are fairly cerain the Head gasket has failed) Though it drove normally for local mileage right up until its removal at Xmas. Incidently, when you collect it don't pay unless you are totally happy with the engine, having asked Andy its history; there's well over the £100. worth of spares there for sure. Any problems you now have my home number and good luck sir. Mike.
Scribbler. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 09:41   #22
captaintess

Rover 75 V6

Default Rover 75 timing belt

Just for the record, the cam shafts are NOT inter changeable, the inlet camshaft cannot be used for the exhaust camshaft! the lobes are different, if the end of the camshaft has broken the more likely the woodruft key on the pulley has perished or the timing belt has stretched, the best way round this is the replace the camshaft, pulley and the woodruft key and don't forget to replace the pulley bolts fitting them with thread locking chemical ! i've done three of these engines and they are a total nightmare! normally charge about £700. Or buy a second hand engine!
captaintess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 09:46   #23
captaintess

Rover 75 V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiltshire75 View Post
hi,

ive had a rover 75 v6 sat on my driver for sometime and really want to get it going.

i plugged it in and it had 2 faults, multiple misfire and system too rich.

looking under the bonnet it was clear that the upper timing belt casing on the camshaft pulley was wobbling as you tried to start it up. having removed the casing you could visibly see the pulley wobbling as if the securing washer bolt has been misthreaded in somewhere and the pulley isnt rotating properly.

before i found this when you tried turning the engine it would catch but stall after a second on two. the person i purchased it off said it just cut out on them.

suggestions on where to go next.....
Just for the record, the cam shafts are NOT inter changeable, the inlet camshaft cannot be used for the exhaust camshaft! the lobes are different, if the end of the camshaft has broken the more likely the woodruft key on the pulley has perished or the timing belt has stretched, the best way round this is the replace the camshaft, pulley and the woodruft key and don't forget to replace the pulley bolts fitting them with thread locking chemical ! i've done three of these engines and they are a total nightmare! normally charge about £700. Or buy a second hand engine!
captaintess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 10:48   #24
Canonite
This is my second home

BMW 330d Tourer, MG ZT 180 SE XPG, VW Polo 6R 1.2 TDI Bluemotion

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaintess View Post
This thread was done and dusted back in 2010 mate.
Canonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2012, 12:32   #25
eurorover
Posted a thing or two

MG ZT

Maybe an old thread but you can swap the exhaust camshafts from the front bank to the rear bank and vice versa which means the damaged end would be in the cap
eurorover is offline   Reply With Quote