Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 & ZT Gallery
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 24th July 2012, 08:47   #11
Frank Incensed
Ex 75 Owner

75 Tourerless

Default I've Heard They Use Caustic Stuff on the Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark d3 View Post
good to see some of you guys have had good results they broke my seat once at the nano after cleaning it and burnt my alloys at another will never use them again
The body shop I've had work done at recently warned me about this. They said that, as well as corroding bits of the wheel you can see, it corrodes the rim and breaks the seal with the tyre.
I'd rather my car looked dirty until I could get round to cleaning it.

355188 of 355194
Frank Incensed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 23:10   #12
DC53 LSY
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190+

I think to put it in perspective there must be good ones as well as bad ones. But I've heard too many horror stories about the bad ones to ever take the risk. Like dropping mitts, sponges and cloths on the tarmac floor then picking them up and just carrying on as though nothing's happened. I've also heard they use truck wash (TFR) on your paint which strips off any wax or sealant you might have on it, and very strong chemical cleaners on the wheels, full of hydrochloric acid which can get under the lacquer/paint and corrode the metal from beneath. (I think my ZT's wheel centres have seen at least one-too-many uses of this stuff )
DC53 LSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2012, 23:15   #13
Scribbler.
Gets stuck in

Rover 75. Saloon. Red. V6. 2.5.

My local team are Polish guys and since bannig them from using the "jetwash" on her they do a terrific job inside and out boot included for £14. and a free "cuppa." Cars were never designed for jetwash pressures and given the sensitive location of the ECU, pays to avoid them at all costs. Prior to Summers late but eventual arrival, I gave mine a good going over with "wet-paint" *( thanks James.uk ) Marvellous stuff, does exactly what it says on the tin. After 2 yesrs usage I still have two thirds left. Mike.
Scribbler. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2012, 08:50   #14
Tim_Burgess
This is my second home

1999 75 Connoisseur SE 2.5, 2000 75 Classic SE 2.0, 2012 Lancia Delta 3, 2016 Dacia Sandero Ambiance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC53 LSY View Post
I think to put it in perspective there must be good ones as well as bad ones. But I've heard too many horror stories about the bad ones to ever take the risk. Like dropping mitts, sponges and cloths on the tarmac floor then picking them up and just carrying on as though nothing's happened. I've also heard they use truck wash (TFR) on your paint which strips off any wax or sealant you might have on it, and very strong chemical cleaners on the wheels, full of hydrochloric acid which can get under the lacquer/paint and corrode the metal from beneath. (I think my ZT's wheel centres have seen at least one-too-many uses of this stuff )
There are TFRs and TFRs. It also depends on the concentration used and the temperature of the water, but basically unless a vehicle is really neglected and soiled I wouldn't contemplate it.

It's also discolours and stains some brightwork; there is a particular problem with Audis and VWs in this respect.

It's like anything it's knowing when its use is appropriate.
Old 26th July 2012, 11:15   #15
lovema75
This is my second home

75 Tourer CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbler. View Post
My local team are Polish guys and since bannig them from using the "jetwash" on her they do a terrific job inside and out boot included for £14. and a free "cuppa." Cars were never designed for jetwash pressures and given the sensitive location of the ECU, pays to avoid them at all costs. Prior to Summers late but eventual arrival, I gave mine a good going over with "wet-paint" *( thanks James.uk ) Marvellous stuff, does exactly what it says on the tin. After 2 yesrs usage I still have two thirds left. Mike.
Wots "Wet Paint" stuff then?
lovema75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2012, 12:15   #16
DC53 LSY
Avid contributor

MG ZT 190+

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovema75 View Post
Wots "Wet Paint" stuff then?
http://www.wetpaintglaze.com/