Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 1st August 2007, 20:00   #1
Simon
Banned

-

Question Cigarette Lighter Fascia - Removal??

I've had a search around the forums for this question and I'm sure it has been commented on before but I can't seem to find it.

The question is: Does the cigarette lighter come out of the lower centre console assembly? It would appear that the fascia panel that covers the lighter is not removable as per the cup-holders and ashtray. The coloured section seems to be integral to the opening mechanism.

Has anyone successfully removed and then re-fitted the entire lighter mechanism?

If it cannot be done then it's time to buy some Fablon type stuff....
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 21:04   #2
mathiasjohnson

MG ZT

I am wondering too.
mathiasjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 21:22   #3
The_Monk
I really should get out more.......

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
I've had a search around the forums for this question and I'm sure it has been commented on before but I can't seem to find it.

The question is: Does the cigarette lighter come out of the lower centre console assembly? It would appear that the fascia panel that covers the lighter is not removable as per the cup-holders and ashtray. The coloured section seems to be integral to the opening mechanism.

Has anyone successfully removed and then re-fitted the entire lighter mechanism?

If it cannot be done then it's time to buy some Fablon type stuff....
Yes and its a bt fiddly. I cant remember how I did it though Do you have the unit out the car? I started by carefully prising the front out at the bottom and then releasing each bit that stopped the unit moving out. I've yet to attempt to put it back together as this is my "creative project"
The_Monk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 21:25   #4
Duotone
This is my second home

Default Cigarette Lighter Fascia - Removal??

Yes, I did manage to change over the cig. lighter facia.

I removed the ash tray cig. lighter and cupholder unit complete and worked on in on the kitchen table.

From what I remember I removed the facia from the front using small screwdrivers and a small knife..

I can be done! but I have ended up with a small problem..when the cig. lighter is pressed it only opens threequarters of the way, the rest has to be gently pushed..

I was so relieved at getting the unit back together, I could'nt face taking the damm thing apart again..

Dave T
Duotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd February 2008, 21:52   #5
Simon
Banned

-

As I posted the original question I'll tell all how I solved it: I bought a complete ashtray/cupholder/lighter assembly with the walnut finish already in place. Kinda cheating maybe but I couldn't see any reasonable way of seperating the fascia without it becoming damaged.

The unit I bought was quite dirty and the mechanisms for the cupholder and ashtray were very sticky. I gave the entire unit a good soaking in hot soapy water and scrubbed clean as best I could. Once dried I sprayed copious quantities of WD-40 all over and in it to drive out the remaining water and form an excellent lubricant for the sliders to run on. Since then (touch wood) it has been working perfectly. Jobs a good 'un.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote