Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club General Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 21st September 2016, 20:32   #11
suzublu
This is my second home

rover 75 1.8 vvc club se wedgwood blue

Thanked 7,142 Times in 4,642 Posts

When my Dad passed away last year, I found myself with loads of old tools, many I gave away, & many I took to the skip. Just useless nowadays for my needs. I will never need whitworth, bsf, & all the many variations of old British measurement. Now, when we're talking Honda motor corporation metric original tools
suzublu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016, 20:34   #12
klarzy
This is my second home

none but not gone

Thanked 4,247 Times in 3,025 Posts

I have a spanner (rusty of course) stamped 1935. Vauxhall...
Old 21st September 2016, 20:53   #13
Plezier
I really should get out more.......

Mercedes C Class CDI estate (2003)

I have a set of Williams super slim Witworth spanners that my dad gave me when I started working in Engineering. He bought them prior to WW2. The only reason I still have then is because they were in my work box when my rented council lock up garage was broken into and my tools stolen.

I have now inherited most of dads tools so some are undoubtedly older than these.

When Dad met mum his daily ride was a 1926 AJS Big Port 350cc with hand change That was replaced with an Calthorpe then by an AJS 500 with sidecar.
Old 21st September 2016, 21:24   #14
unimatrix1066
Avid contributor

Zt and zr express van morris minor

I have a large British rail screwdriver (my dads) about a metre long for the trains you know
unimatrix1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016, 22:41   #15
Jim Jamieson
This is my second home

Rover less !

I've also got a lot of my late fathers tools in the workshop including a curved spade for digging out post holes. I used this last year when replacing the posts on my garden fence. These tools I simply cannot part with.

On a more "modern" note I also have a lot of my AF & Whitworth tools from my days as an HGV mechanic and a five cantilever toolbox, onto which I hand painted numerous truck and car logos. The bottom of the box has lost its paint along with some of the logos but the upper trays and lids still have them after almost 50 years.
Jim Jamieson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st September 2016, 22:52   #16
KLM
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club CDT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
A few offset ring Whitworth spanners my dad bought in the mid 1950's and a really old 'bed key', from when beds were metal and needed to bolted together.
Metal beds they won't know what your on about.

Kev.
KLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2016, 05:16   #17
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLM View Post
Metal beds they won't know what your on about.

Kev.
OK, well....

Back in the day, some beds would have a steel rectangular base formed from angle iron, that rectangle would be filled with springs and wire. That would then support the mattress. The corners of the base, would then be mounted / fixed to some sort of legs at the head and the foot. This part would usually be polished wood.

Often some sort of spanner would be needed for the bolts, which would be included when the bed was delivered, often with the bed manufacturers name on the spanner. Spanners were often referred to as 'keys' back then and not many people would have much in the way of DIY tools. Mattresses were then I think, often just a fabric bag, filled with what I think was maybe called flock (a cotton material or feathers).

Unlike the modern bed bases which use a great deal of cardboard in their construction, these older types would last for several generations and be family heirlooms.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd September 2016, 16:02   #18
RobSun
Gets stuck in

MGZTT

I have tools that were passed down to me by my father that belonged to my grand father who was an agricultural engineer. These will be now well over a hundred years old and some I still use, sometimes just for the sake of it rather than the tool being better than something more modern.
RobSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2016, 08:49   #19
Plezier
I really should get out more.......

Mercedes C Class CDI estate (2003)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryM1BYT View Post
OK, well....

Back in the day, some beds would have a steel rectangular base formed from angle iron, that rectangle would be filled with springs and wire. That would then support the mattress. The corners of the base, would then be mounted / fixed to some sort of legs at the head and the foot. This part would usually be polished wood.

Often some sort of spanner would be needed for the bolts, which would be included when the bed was delivered, often with the bed manufacturers name on the spanner. Spanners were often referred to as 'keys' back then and not many people would have much in the way of DIY tools. Mattresses were then I think, often just a fabric bag, filled with what I think was maybe called flock (a cotton material or feathers).

Unlike the modern bed bases which use a great deal of cardboard in their construction, these older types would last for several generations and be family heirlooms.
The bed Mum & Dad bought after their wedding was one of these iron framed variety with Oak ends and it was marked with the kite marki indicating war time rationing and quality as were both wardrobes.

The steel or iron frame is makign a comeback and have noticed a fair few in properties when viewing online in France. They are much better than the much vaunted divan which seems to have a very short life before it starts to collapse of course good for the makers as you have to replace but bad for the planet and resources and of course the customer.
Old 23rd September 2016, 13:47   #20
KLM
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 Club CDT

[QUOTE=Plezier;2369673]The bed Mum & Dad bought after their wedding was one of these iron framed variety with Oak ends and it was marked with the kite indicating war time rationing and quality as were both wardrobes.[/B]

I think it was called the utility mark.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Utility_furniture

Kev.
KLM is offline   Reply With Quote