Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Touring Boating Camping & Caravan Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 8th July 2016, 08:23   #31
coolcat
This is my second home

Audi Q3 TDI S-Line Quattro

Thanked 12,235 Times in 8,232 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weso View Post
Think this is a nice all round package
Agreed, also being in Great Yarmouth, isn't that far to go and take a look

Will have a chat with Ros about that one as it seems to tick all the boxes and from the photos looks a well cared for example.

Will do a bit of research on the engine just to make sure it's not a bad one and parts etc for maintaining it are readily available .
Old 8th July 2016, 08:23   #32
Weso
I really should get out more.......

Mondeo ST TDCI Estate

Jeff,

If you can do an eBay search in Boats and watercraft centred on Norwich then anything within 30 miles is likely to be broads based.
As I am already up here obviously eBay can search based on my address. Not sure how easy it is to search an area that you don't live in

Suggest avoid any sort of Yacht Broker, they take a huge cut and no more back up in the event of problems after purchase.

You have been around long enough to judge an eBay advert from the way it is written and presented. Thankfully many owners of broads craft are genuinely nice old school people though there are obviously exceptions to this.

Your theory about Outboards perfectly sound

Typical four stroke outboard circa 15HP to 25HP is 2 cylinder and about 300 - 350cc. With the correct prop size capable of pushing almost anything you are likely to be looking at.
Weso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2016, 08:24   #33
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
Your welcome to join me on mine Jeff.

https://www.burgessyachts.com/en/sal...-00005726.html

Sorry Jeff If only.
Bit poky inside don't you think
Old 8th July 2016, 08:38   #34
Weso

Mondeo ST TDCI Estate

Default Outboards

Tohatsu are established these days, japanese.

Makers like Yamaha, Mariner, Mercury all sell and market virtually the same engine in smaller sizes.

EG a Yamaha 15HP is identical to a Mariner 15HP Tohatsu sub 10HP are made by Yamaha. Honda don't make for anybody else were 1st to market with 4 stroke and are very good but parts typically Honda expensive.

Outboards are serviced based on engine hours. I have not seen many outboards knackered through over use just neglect and under use.

Important - Don't judge a outboard by it's exterior condition. Exteriors cannot help but be knocked about by regular use. It should look like new under the cowling!

Plenty of service agents for most makes on Broads.
Old 8th July 2016, 08:42   #35
coolcat
This is my second home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weso View Post
Tohatsu are established these days, japanese.

Makers like Yamaha, Mariner, Mercury all sell and market virtually the same engine in smaller sizes.

EG a Yamaha 15HP is identical to a Mariner 15HP Tohatsu sub 10HP are made by Yamaha. Honda don't make for anybody else were 1st to market with 4 stroke and are very good but parts typically Honda expensive.

Outboards are serviced based on engine hours. I have not seen many outboards knackered through over use just neglect and under use.

Important - Don't judge a outboard by it's exterior condition. Exteriors cannot help but be knocked about by regular use. It should look like new under the cowling!

Plenty of service agents for most makes on Broads.
I just 'Googled' that engine and it received good reviews and comments.
Seems to be a well regarded lump so that is good.
It's not the cheap Chinese import that I thought it might have been, instead it's Japanese engineering at its best.....phew

That boat has ticked another box........I'll be chatting with Ros later and see what she thinks as well.

Thanks once again Mark for the advice and for the link
Old 8th July 2016, 09:01   #36
Weso

Mondeo ST TDCI Estate

Any owner (seller) of a four stroke as part of boat package should have a yearly service receipt for it's annual service.

Corrosion can be a killer with sea going use but broads whilst being tidal so element of salt content are pretty gentle on outboards in my experience.

Old Mercury 2 stokes are in my experience unreliable. I was always a 2 stroke man, and always Yamaha but all recent non chinese products are universally good.

Budget for jobs and services to be done whatever you buy. Allow a margin for work whatever package you look at.

Have a look at new prices for outboards and you will get some idea the level of engineering that goes into them.
Old 9th July 2016, 09:18   #37
coolcat
This is my second home

Gutted.........missed out on the Atlanta 24 "Rigsby" , sold the day before yesterday

Having said that, I spoke to the owner who was very helpful and my interest in that boat (Thanks Mark) spurred me on to look.

I have found a lovely example at Potter Heigham that is a bit more money but does benefit from a Honda 20hp outboard engine which is fairly new and has also got a full four years boat safety certificate and a years broads toll/licence .

What do you guys think ?

https://www.watersidemarinesales.co....4-jasmine.html
Old 9th July 2016, 13:41   #38
Burwell Mike
Avid contributor

MG ZT-T 260

This Atlanta looks like a good cared for boat with a good engine. The only thing I would point out is that it is narrow beam (6ft 10") and is also suitable for canal locks, which of course is not an issue for the Broads as there is no connection to the canal system.
Before you take the plunge (buying the boat that is and not falling overboard)I would suggest comparing this with a wider beam boat (eg Viking, Fairline, Seamaster, Freeman) to see the difference in space below decks. That said Seamaster's and Freemans are more in the classic boat era and will have inboard engines.

As I say if you are comfortable with the narrow beam this looks a good boat.

Mike
Burwell Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2016, 16:02   #39
Weso

Mondeo ST TDCI Estate

As Mike has pointed out the boat is designed to fit into the canal system beam wise. Whilst this is a compromise canal users have to accept, it is not an issue on the broads.
Simple things like trying to walk pass someone cooking in the galley for instance is next to impossible. facilities like the toilet compartment are likely to be extra cramped.
Given you pay for most moorings by the foot, you might as well maximise the living area with the beam. Having said that it is a nicely presented ready to go boat as are many of the boats he has listed.
Not sure if he is acting as a broker or seller on most of his craft. Obviously benefit of buying from such a company is there experience, the fact they own available moorings (wifi on moorings!!) and they can make your introduction to boat ownership as painless as possible.
Remember all these prices are negotiable just like a used car purchase.
Benefit also is you can view all his boats in one place, at which point you might decide one size or layout works much better for the pair of you.
Make sure you tap into there advise as much as possible.
As you have already found most private boat owners love talking about there boats and normally are full of hard gained experience they are happy to pass on.
A bit like 75 owners
Despite my advise about outboards, a quick scan of his listings I was drawn to his listing for this

https://www.watersidemarinesales.co....shire-cat.html

I had several holidays on the broads hiring a craft almost exactly the same as this. One of the few hire craft designs that made it across to private ownership successfully. A perfect craft for 2 with plenty of space and built to hire craft standards (good). We found this size and design worked perfectly for us as a couple. The sliding canopy in main living area is ideal for our weather and just look at the beam Yes, inboard diesel but likely to be a little reliable and super economical unit.

Appreciate it is a bit above your budget (negotiable) but if looked after these ex hire craft can hold there value remarkably well.

Get inside as many boats as possible, if used to hire craft, stepping on board a private boat in this size and dare I say it price range can be a bit of a shock. (not good!)

I guess one trip to a yard like this you could access a load of boats in a short space of time.

That forum I detailed in a earlier post I found very helpful when I was boat buying. I would put up a link and I would get critical but helpful advise a bit like our forum..
Old 12th July 2016, 13:57   #40
coolcat
This is my second home

Missed out on the next Atlanta 24 we were looking at, seemed to be snapped up very quickly

We have decided on an Aft cockpit design like the Atlanta 24 and preferably outboard engine.

Have also been looking at the Viking range of boats with outboard as well.

Looking in all the usual places and our budget will stretch to £15,000 but would rather the top end to include moorings, river licence and insurance.

We will go along to one of the boatyards to get a further feel for what's out there and we aren't in any hurry, besides if we get one with heating we shall be able to use it 'off season' as well

Thanks for all the help guys and if anyone spots anything that may be suitable keep on posting those links