Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 2nd May 2017, 19:12   #1
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 Connoisseur 2.5 V6 auto

Default Symphony display shows EP-E02

Recently I swopped a Harmony unit for a Symphony from the old car and rewired as necessary, also rewiring to have the CD in the boot. All went well, though as I couldn't find the remote steering wheel pair at the time I left that alone. Today I decided to finish the job.
I removed thhe head unit out of the console, in doing so I caught the switch and turned it on. No problem there though. I still couldn't find the 2 wires so went to the donor car that I'm stripping and chased them through to the steering wheel. After looking on RAVE I returned to the project and found the wires, whilst the radio was still playing ok. I then disconnected the battery, and traced these wires back to the steering wheel, even conn checking they were the correct ones, using a multimeter. So they were then connected in at the radio end, and the battery put back on. I went to turn on the radio, and as I lifted it up noticed the ROVER name come up as I switched it on, followed by the message EP-E02, and the radio seemed to have no o/p. Thinking I had the wrong wires, I quickly cut them off and then the volume came up. I checked the wires were correct again, then touched one onto the radio, the volume then faded down as if the switch was being used.
I have left both wires off at the moment, next job will be to get a meter on the switches to see if one is stuck in the wrong position? I have some spares anyway.
I then checked the operation of the Symphony. Though the message remained, I seemed to be able to adjust the volume, select AM/FM and all memories, play the tape, or CD, all ok. So what is going on?

Stewart
StewartIngram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2017, 12:14   #2
murphyv310
This is my second home

Hyundai i10 998cc

Thanked 2,298 Times in 1,349 Posts

Hi.
Neither of the steering wheel connections are grounded. Earthing one could be the problem, unless I've read your post wrongly.
Old 3rd May 2017, 18:44   #3
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

I haven't had any time today, but think the volume fault is a ground fault. However as they are both disconnected at the moment, what does the display message mean?
Old 3rd May 2017, 19:16   #4
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

Try disconnecting the battery for about 10 mins, it may clear the message.
The two steering wheel control cables in the car loom are Blue/Purple and Blue/Orange, in the Harmony 17 pin connector they are in pin 10 (Blue/Orange) and pin 17 (Blue/Purple), in the Symphony 8 pin power ISO connector they need to be in pin 2 (Blue/Orange) and pin 3 (Blue/Purple).

The circuit is from the stereo on the Blue/Purple, through the steering wheel switches, and then return to the stereo on the Blue/Orange.

The steering wheel switches operate different resistances in the circuit which are recognised by the stereo and change the different functions.

Last edited by raykay; 3rd May 2017 at 19:30..
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd May 2017, 19:45   #5
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Thanks, I'll try a reset tomorrow. I'm happy with the wiring, having conn-checked it through with a multimeter, compared it to the donor, and checked on RAVE.
Old 5th May 2017, 20:02   #6
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

Ist reset over about 15 minutes - no change. Then a later reset, left fo maybe a couple of hours whilst I copied some dvds, and all way fine. I haven't yet bothered about the remote wires, do that another time.
Old 7th May 2017, 16:10   #7
Sector-9
Gets stuck in

Rover 75 CDT manual Tourer

Rover used several different 'wheel interfaces' in the production run so I suspect you'll need to swap that over between the cars too. It's not as simple as a Symphony will work in any 75/ZT (well it will work but the wheel controls may not, as you've found). I've no idea where this interface is but I seem to remember something about being near the steering column and it makes sense it'd be in that area.
Old 7th May 2017, 17:56   #8
StewartIngram
Gets stuck in

All sorted now, problem was of my own making.
Just to recap:
Old (gold) car had a Symphony from new. CD player in the glove box.
Replacement (blue) had a Harmony, with a CD player in the boot.
I wanted - Symphony, with CD player in the boot.
Each radio has physically different connectors, so I cut the loom to the Symphony, and spliced it to existing Harmony wiring in the blue car. I initially ignored the 2 wires to the remote as I couldn't find them (more later).
Radio now worked ok.
Harmony CD is different to the Symphony. The Symphony CD fitted the bracket in the boot ok. The loom between the front and back was used, after cutting the connectors off and again splicing in the Symphony ones. (Colours now do not match the wiring diagram, and I also had to add an extra wire). CD now worked ok.
When sorting the remote switches, I had the donor (gold) car to refer to, and the RAVE wiring diagrams. In reality, the blue car had GREEN wires instead of BLUE, with the 2nd tracer colour in the wire as per diagram. No wonder I couldn't find them! I also found this pair terminated in the green block of the radio connector, where they were not needed, this was then shorting one of the wires down to earth. As I had spliced into these wires, operation of the volume switch was thus affected. Simple fix - snip the wires out of the green block.
During this fault finding, I had the radio turned on, and disconnected the battery. An error message came up when the battery was put back on. This was cured by taking the battery off again and leaving it for a while.
Old 8th May 2017, 07:59   #9
raykay
I really should get out more.......

Now Other Manufacturer

In hindsight, it would have been easier to change the Harmony loom for the Symphony loom from the donor car, then only needing the extension for the CD changer.

The Symphony steering wheel control cables need to be in pins 2 & 3 of the power ISO connector, it uses the green mini ISO connector for the Low Line navigation system (later single DIN stereos use it for the steering wheel controls).

Last edited by raykay; 8th May 2017 at 16:45..
raykay is offline   Reply With Quote