Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 12th July 2009, 13:10   #1
ianfletcher
I really should get out more.......

BMW 1 series

Default kv6 thermostat replacement gone wrong

I have just changed the thermostat housing and pipes on my v6 and put everything back together with what i thought was no problem but when i started the car the fan came on full straight away and this was with a cold engine and so i went for a quick drive in it to let it warm up but the temp gauge wasnt working so i decided to head home and when i was only 100 yards away from the house there was an almight pop so i checked under the bonnet and there was water and steam everywhere and one of the rubber pipes had blown off the thermostat.
Does anyone have any idea what i have done wrong especially with the fan coming on straight away and the temp guage not working?
ianfletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 14:13   #2
Bernard LPG

75 V6 Saloon 2003 LPG MGZT V8 260 LPG

I would guess that it was an airlock in the system.
Bernard LPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 14:14   #3
T-Cut
This is my second home

Rover75 and Mreg Corsa.

Thanked 3,660 Times in 2,924 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfletcher1979 View Post
Does anyone have any idea what i have done wrong especially with the fan coming on straight away and the temp guage not working?
I suspect you haven't reconnected the temperature sensor, or the sensor got disconnected. That would trip emergency fan straight away. The other problems sound like a fitting error.

TC
T-Cut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 15:19   #4
ianfletcher

BMW 1 series

Question

Just checked and the plug for the temp sender wasnt plugged in properly so managed to get in back on by squeezing my hand under the manifolds and the pipe is back on. How do i put coolant back in without air getting trapped?
Old 12th July 2009, 15:51   #5
GreyGhost
Banned

180+ Sport Auto

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...ad.php?t=17483

Should help.
GreyGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 16:08   #6
macattac1

45 diesel

Cool

first make sure the aircon isnt on coz the fan will run straight away.
macattac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2009, 16:44   #7
chris75
same car since 2005

2001 Rover 75 2.0 v6 Connoisseur Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianfletcher1979 View Post
How do i put coolant back in without air getting trapped?
There should be a large diameter (16mm or so) black plastic screw cap on one of the large hoses under the air filter housing . This is a bleed valve . Release this whilst filling until coolant runs from it then nip it up . Fill the system right up to the bottom of the fins in the tank and run the engine until the top hose is hot ; then take off the pressure cap and squeeze the top hose vigorously for a short while .You should feel water being "pumped" in the top hose , and when you stop the level in the tank will probably drop as water is taken into the top hose and the rad . Watch the small return pipe which comes into the side of the tank neck and when this repeatedly squirts water instead of air whilst you are squeezing the top hose , you are probably finished and can top up. Repeat the squeezing operation each day for a couple of days untill you see no change.Remember to have the heater controls set to hot or the AC to a high temp so that the heater matrix fills . I have successfully refilled mine several times so long as these tips are followed.Good luck.
Old 12th July 2009, 17:36   #8
ianfletcher

BMW 1 series

I have had the heater running on max and full power and have been filling the coolant up when it drops down and now the heater is mad hot but in a nice way and there is only a couple of bubbles popping up every so often. Is this right now as i wont be using the car now for the rest of the night and i have quite a long drive to work in the morning and i dont want any hoses going pop on me again or the engine overheating?
Old 12th July 2009, 18:32   #9
ianfletcher

BMW 1 series

Just been out for a drive because i couldnt wait until morning and all seems to be fine apart from the message centre is going on and off when it wants and is displaying just lines or mixed up mumbo jumbo, the air bag light keeps coming on and the traffic master isnt displaying correctly either. Could this just be down to everything in the engine bay getting wet and i will just have to wait for it to dry out?
Old 13th July 2009, 21:00   #10
kaiser
This is my second home

75 Tourer 2.5 Auto, 1.8T, 75V8ZT

All advice sensible. However, the new thermostat can easily be faulty. It could be stuck in the closed position. That would give increased temperatures and pressure.
Most likely you had an airlock and did not do the job properly in the first instance. But you should always check a thermostat by dumping it in hot water and see if it opens as it is supposed to. Especially when it is place in an inaccessible place like a V6.
kaiser is offline   Reply With Quote