Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Photography Corner
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 19th January 2017, 13:38   #1
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts
Default Ever wondered about Adobe Photoshop Lightroom?

Some of the Semi Pro`s who give us their lovely photo`s in here will very likely know what is for and what it can do.
If you are new to photography or a sloooooow learner like me there is some brief details about it in here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/288921/what...-do-i-need-it/

Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2017, 19:16   #2
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Thank you Ken for posting up the link. I have been using this for 3 years. There are tutorial videos on YouTube on learning to use it. Adobe also offers similar and one can go through them step by step until you get the hang of it.

Here is a moon photo I shot using Lightroom for editing. A must have tool for the digital darkroom

f9.5 1/250 ISO:100 840mm Canon

Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2017, 20:29   #3
Ravinder
This is my second home

Rover 75 saloon x2, Rover 75 Tourer x2, Rover 220 Coupe Turbo

Thanked 2,852 Times in 1,718 Posts

I've been using Lightroom for about 9 months and I struggle with editing. I don't know how to use it to its full potential and don't know what some of the stuff does. Have photoshop also but don't have a clue to use it. One of my aims this year is to learn how to use Lightroom properly.

First name and forum name: Ravinder

Rover 75 2.0 CDT Connoisseur SE 116 (160 remap)
Royal Blue (JFM)

This vehicle was the 50,481st 75 to run off the production line, out of 112,381
This vehicle was the 2,238th 75 CDT Connoisseur SE to be made out of 3,775
This vehicle was the 5,002nd 75 in Royal Blue (code: JFM) to be made out of 14,420 Royal Blue 75s
Ravinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2017, 21:04   #4
sworks
Been absent for a while…

Rover 75 Tourer, Classic mini Cooper S, Abarth 595 competizione, MG TF and a Hyundai Tucson PHEV

Thanked 1,686 Times in 1,040 Posts

I use both, light room for my first edit and then finish with photoshop if needed. Two excellent programmes but I'm nowhere near as competent as I'd like to be with photoshop

'Marmite' Possibly one of the most famous 75 tourers produced! left the production line as the last of only Three Rover 75 tourers produced in Trophy Yellow. 48 hours later Longbridge closed. The last sold ordered 75 Tourer. Paid for by the Phoenix Four and handed over by John Towers to the Warwickshire Northampton Air ambulance service as a Rapid Response vehicle
sworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2017, 23:07   #5
clf
This is my second home

MG ZT CDTi

Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,973 Posts

Lightroom is a workflow solution rather than an all out editing program. When I first started using it, prior to release as a Beta format, I had been playing around with a loose predecessor Rawshooter, and also Capture One.

I would have used them primarily for doing batch RAW conversion. You used to have to convert individual files (and I couldnt warm to Canon's propriety software at the time - the Canon discs of my current cameras are still in the packing lol) .

Capture one at the time was the leading software for such batch conversion (and was less power hungry too). It was a revelation to me at the time. Imagine having 50-60 files of a similar shoot, with stable lighting/exposure etc. eg Static macro and studio portraits. You could work with one, perfect it, then save and apply the settings across the batch. A 2-3 hour task cut to 10-20 minutes!

When Lightroom was first released, the editing on it was very limited. There was no cloning or dust spot removal. Dust spot removal was possible on Capture One, (via a dust map) so I tended to use it, and sharpening was less clunky. But then it was introduced to Lightroom and I was hooked. Further additions in v4 started to make it a replacement for me to Photoshop. I do have version 5.2 installed, but I actually have v4 still installed because it does what I need and in my view with less duplication of the controls.

If you do install it, I would recommend having a clean 200-500GB harddrive, used only for Lightroom (and for Photoshop too) as a scratch disk. It is RAM hungry when working with lots of files, so you can direct the program to use the hard drive as a kind of temporary RAM. my old system had a partitioned 500GB as a 300gb for scratch, and 200gb for back ups. Currently, though I am not so involved in it, but do have 16GB of RAM, and 6 core processor which is just about adequate. I always planned to add a new hard drive to it, but just never got round to it lol.

In terms of using it, there are some excellent plugins available, (some free) for different types of editing or film emulation etc. Batch processing allows you to simply click on 'previous' and it will allow you to apply the previous settings to the current image (or ctrl+ click to many, and then press 'previous' and it will apply to a batch of images). If you create a black and white (greyscale) setting that you particularly like, it can be saved and used for future use at the click of the mouse. It can even be automated to import, transfer, name, and apply settings as you insert your memory card! Upload images to picture sharing sites like FlickR, your own website or even create a flash based website!

Do not think of it as a replacement to Photoshop, however, if you only do basic crop and exposure settings, it is brilliant.

One thing I would advise, is to set yourself a naming/cataloging protocol now. Create a folder for images, then within that I would have a folder with 'originals', where you can instruct Lightroom to transfer your images from your memory card(s). As they transfer, you can name that folder (say with a date and a brief description). When you save your edit, it will then give you further naming protocol options, and option to create a folder within etc. Additionally you can add star ratings, tags and meta data. Get into a habit of doing this. It will be worth it when you are looking through 10,000 photographs looking for that one particular shot lol.

It is not gloss primer .............. it is duct tape silver!
clf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 07:31   #6
Rocket
Posted a thing or two

ROVER 75 CONNOISSEUR SE HIGHLINE TOURER MANUAL 2.5 V6

Every pic I take gets imported into Lightroom straight from the camera. I then sort pick and edit them as needed. I always shoot in RAW so all finished images will have had editing. Lightroom will be able to edit 98% of my pics. If I need more complex editing I use Photoshop.

I pay £9 approx per month for Lightroom and Photoshop CC which is always up to date.
Photography is my main leisure activity and I find £9 per month acceptable as I spend many hours per month using the tool.

http://www.paulstickley.com/
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 08:47   #7
Nick Greg
Posted a thing or two

Honda Insight Hybrid

Or if you want something less daunting....

Picasa (Google Picasa) - free
or
Serif Affinty which is £40 one off cost no monthly subscriptions.

These both work on an average laptop that I have.

Theres also GIMP which is free but that confused the heck out of me.
Nick Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 11:17   #8
Kennyeth
This is my second home

No more Rover

Thanked 1,308 Times in 998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Every pic I take gets imported into Lightroom straight from the camera. I then sort pick and edit them as needed. I always shoot in RAW so all finished images will have had editing. Lightroom will be able to edit 98% of my pics. If I need more complex editing I use Photoshop.

I pay £9 approx per month for Lightroom and Photoshop CC which is always up to date.
Photography is my main leisure activity and I find £9 per month acceptable as I spend many hours per month using the tool.
Like it says in the article, when you spend hundreds, maybe thousands of pounds on equipment it seems little outlay for a lot of powerful apps...
I say apps because that seems to be the word now for programs.
Ken.
Kennyeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2017, 12:16   #9
FLYING BANANA
Moderator/Club Shop

MG ZT 1.8t+. No.3 of 4 in Sunspot Yellow & Ford Fiesta in Black.

Thanked 15,645 Times in 6,806 Posts
Cool

I use Zoner Pro Studio.

233,431. That’s our second meet done, no.3 next weekend.

onen hag oll
FLYING BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th January 2017, 05:17   #10
Gate Keeper
This is my second home

4X4

Thanked 7,017 Times in 4,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravinder View Post
I've been using Lightroom for about 9 months and I struggle with editing. I don't know how to use it to its full potential and don't know what some of the stuff does. Have photoshop also but don't have a clue to use it. One of my aims this year is to learn how to use Lightroom properly.
I am in a similar position, except I am proficient in Lightroom. A couple of years ago Adobe did a special promotion for both LR and PS together for £7.23 p.m with updates and online support via its "log-in" community forum and tech support etc. I went for the deal.

I would like to be more confident in how to use PS. I find its format complicated to work through. I ought to join a photo shop class to get my understanding and confidence up in its use from the hands-on experts.

Because I have a problem with PS, I tend not to use it. Have you thought of joining a photography group similar to the one Jeff goes to? just a thought

Last edited by Gate Keeper; 24th January 2017 at 05:20..
Gate Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote