Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Technical Help Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar
Notices

Old 9th March 2012, 10:36   #1
jb141
Regular poster

Rover 75 CDTi Contemporary SE

Unhappy Help under bonnet fuel pump

After changing thermostat last week I noticed that the under bonnet fuel pump was leaking like a good un at the top. Bought and fitted a replacement today however as soon as you turn the key it's making a very loud whirring noise. The engine will start and runs fine but it just sounds so dodgy and I don't know what to do......HELP!!!! Please!!!!!
jb141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 13:01   #2
crashmarks
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE Tourer Auto

Was your old pump leaking where the metal body folds over onto the plastic top section? If it was if you tap around fold with a hammer it might re-seal mine did, go round a few times not too hard. When i fiited my new pump it was a little noisy for a few days, i aslo found that the car didnt always start instantly like it did before. I think it takes a few days for all the air to purge out of the system. After a few days it all settled down and is fine now. If its still noisy in a few days I would contact the supplier and ask what his replacement policy is. If he says you have to send yours back before he sends you another, which would mean your car was off the road for days thats when your old pump may come in handy if indeed the fix has worked. One other thing, when I had to replace my pump for a second time I replaced the short piece of rubber pipe with a 9 inch long piece. I also made a hole in the side of the plastic battery box adjacent to the pinch bolt that secures the pump clamp. The result is that I can now change the pump without having to remove the battery box or all those pipes and wires clipped to the box. All you have to be carefull of is making sure the 9 inch pipe folds into a nice "S" shape when you refit the pump to avoid kinking. I also changed the small hose clips for traditional clips with screws got them from the same place that sold the rubber hose. Clips £2.50 for 10 in stainless. Hose 8mm internal dia £2 per metre.
crashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 13:17   #3
crashmarks
Loves to post

Rover 75 Connoisseur SE Tourer Auto

Can I claim this as a MOD
crashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 15:16   #4
Unclefista
Posted a thing or two

Rover 75 CDT

Is it the new pump that's noisy ?
I bought a cheap one and it's been fine, but I've heard that some of the cheap ones are very noisy and don't last long

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5331/6...77671f80_n.jpg
Unclefista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th March 2012, 15:20   #5
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Jules posted a warning about cheap pumps online as he had a bad batch last year.. best way is to get your pumps from him, at least if they turn out faulty Jules will change them..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2012, 00:06   #6
jb141
Regular poster

Default ThankS for the replies!

The pump was leaking from the top and we did try and bang down the top edge which helped a little but fuel was still coming out. The new one when the key is turned initially is very very noisy with the pitch changing every so often as if there is air in the system after about 10 seconds the noise reduces a bit but it's still loud. The in tank pump is working or at least I can hear it. Ive taken the hose at the top of the under bonnet pump off to check fuel is coming through and trust me and the garage ceiling it is lol! I'll give it a few days and see if the noise settles. Thanks again!
Old 10th March 2012, 00:08   #7
jb141
Regular poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmarks View Post
Was your old pump leaking where the metal body folds over onto the plastic top section? If it was if you tap around fold with a hammer it might re-seal mine did, go round a few times not too hard. When i fiited my new pump it was a little noisy for a few days, i aslo found that the car didnt always start instantly like it did before. I think it takes a few days for all the air to purge out of the system. After a few days it all settled down and is fine now. If its still noisy in a few days I would contact the supplier and ask what his replacement policy is. If he says you have to send yours back before he sends you another, which would mean your car was off the road for days thats when your old pump may come in handy if indeed the fix has worked. One other thing, when I had to replace my pump for a second time I replaced the short piece of rubber pipe with a 9 inch long piece. I also made a hole in the side of the plastic battery box adjacent to the pinch bolt that secures the pump clamp. The result is that I can now change the pump without having to remove the battery box or all those pipes and wires clipped to the box. All you have to be carefull of is making sure the 9 inch pipe folds into a nice "S" shape when you refit the pump to avoid kinking. I also changed the small hose clips for traditional clips with screws got them from the same place that sold the rubber hose. Clips £2.50 for 10 in stainless. Hose 8mm internal dia £2 per metre.
The adaptions you made will be done if I have to swop it again as I've lost all knuckles on one hand and those clips...........well let's just say I'm not fond!!!!
Old 10th March 2012, 00:23   #8
James.uk
Passed Away

2002 Pale Blue. Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur auto. 170K miles

Personaly I wouldn't mess with a faulty pump, you need a good quality new one..
James.uk is offline   Reply With Quote