Go Back   The 75 and ZT Owners Club Forums > Social Forums > Technology Forum
Register FAQ Image Gallery Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read
Notices

Old 21st March 2017, 15:50   #1
HarryM1BYT
This is my second home

75 Contemporary SE Mk II 2004 Man. Sal. CDTi 135ps, FBH on red diesel, WinCE6 DD

Thanked 2,061 Times in 1,586 Posts
Default LAN Router issues

For months I had an ISP supplied wifi router in the loft, where the phone cable comes into the house #1. When we changed ISP's to Plusnet, I just changed the login details and away it went. Its predecessor had always been fine there until the sheer number of local wifi AP's increased and my ground floor coverage became a bit patchy. So I added a second wifi router #2 on the ground floor via an already existing wired LAN cable. It seemed to mostly work, except sometimes things on the ground floor would sometimes struggle on first trying to connect, or if I swapped from connect to #2 to #1, then back again.

The addition of a Firestick at Christmas, connecting to #2 showed how troublesome it actually was. I swapped #2 for several different routers, some quite ancient, tried lots of settings and nothing I did helped. Connect to #1 and it would connect near instantly, swap back to #2 and it could take an hour before I had a full connection with the WAN/internet available via #2. No apparent issue with any connection to #1 at all. No issues changing the settings at all on #1 router either

It went on for months of trying different things. Yesterday I decided to swap the location of #1 with that of #2, to see if that made a difference and bingo.....

Despite using a wired connection to #1, I struggled to configure it. It would refuse to change its password, its IP, I kept loosing access to it, constantly having to press its reset button to regain access. So I tried another router, as a ground floor access point and all was worked absolutely fine at last. I can swap in a fraction of a second between the two access points.

The problematical original #1 was a D-link DSL 3780, as supplied by Talktalk, not many months ago.

How To's and items I offer for free, or just to cover the cost of my expenses...

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/foru...40#post1764540

Fix a poor handbrake; DIY ABS diagnostic unit; Loan of the spanner needed to change the CDT belts; free OBD diagnostics +MAF; Correct Bosch MAF cheap; DVB-T install in an ex-hi-line system; DD install with a HK amp; FBH servicing.

I've taken a vow of poverty. To annoy me, send money.

Last edited by HarryM1BYT; 21st March 2017 at 15:52..
HarryM1BYT is offline   Reply With Quote